tdee set to sedentary, eating exercise calories

Options
psicocat
psicocat Posts: 60 Member
Hiya

My weight has plateaued for the last 11 weeks now after cutting my calories down over the last year to eventually 1200, so as of yesterday i started on tdee at sedentary - 20% and eating exercise calories.

Now I'm not asking if this is right or about setting to an activity level and not eating calories, I've got my plan set and I'm happy with it.

What would be nice is some success stories using this method as motivation and encouragement, or maybe this didnt work for you and why it didnt.

Looking forward to hearing your stories :)

Replies

• jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump, since I'd like to hear too!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    When I started the TDEE I had also set it to sedentary and was eating back the calories because I had a very different exercise schedule and type of workout. As I understood my caloric needs and how my body reacted when I exercised a lot, I have changed it to TDEE with exercise. Days that I do extremely strenuous exercising, beyond what I would normally do, ie, I walked 7 miles, when I only do 2 miles regularly, then I eat extra that day. Or if I had been unable to workout for 3-4 days, then I reduce the amount I eat by a few hundred. I am trying to learn how to regulate my eating and how my body reacts because I do not want to depend on logging after I reach my goal weight.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I upped my cals too a few months ago. I was never a major undereater, probably averaging about 1500 a day, but my weight loss had stalled. I upped to 1850 - 1900 a day and it picked up again, and now I steadily lose between 1 and 2lb a week (when I stick to it :wink: ). My settings are TDEE at lightly active - 20%, which is basically the same thing as yours. The only reason I chose this is because my exercise routine rarely changes, so I find it easier than logging all the exercise.

You will probably experience an initial gain if you've been undereating a while, but don't worry, it comes off in the end. Patience is key.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like using this method…I used my BMR and TDEE as a guide for an intake base and eat 75-100% of my exercise calories back. I find this works for me as I'm truly sedentary, aside from my workouts, and my exercise varies so much that I burn a different amount each day.

I eat ~1500 cals on my rest day (1x a week) and up to 1900 on workout days (depending on cals burned).

Anyway, I am losing weight at a nice steady pace and am happy with my set-up.

Hope you're able to break through your plateau!
  • IamDianna
    IamDianna Posts: 37
    Options
    Bump - me too!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance and that's what I do. I keep my set my activity to sedentary and just log all my workouts, dog walks etc., so far I've been maintaining for about two years.
  • ChetThaker
    ChetThaker Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I like using this method…I used my BMR and TDEE as a guide for an intake base and eat 75-100% of my exercise calories back. I find this works for me as I'm truly sedentary, aside from my workouts, and my exercise varies so much that I burn a different amount each day.

Same for me. My exercise and activity levels vary day-by-day and I too am mostly sedentary the rest of the time so eating back exercise calories works better for me and I'm losing 1-2 llbs per week no having seen things slow down to around 0.5 llbs per week.
  • psicocat
    Options
    good to see this working for people, feel more confident now :) thank you :)
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i'm a guy, so my numbers are different, but tdee worked for me.

i had stalled for about 1.5 months at 150 despite burning a ton of calories (walk/jog/running 13 miles mon through fri) and only eating around 1600 cals. i wasn't using this site, and i hadn't researched anything, just put a diet together... so did not realize i was undereating. i'd lost 20+ pounds that way, and didn't feel hungry, so didn't realize anything was wrong.

after some time spent here:
    1) i shortened my workout considerably (1/3 the time), increased intensity. according to calculators, i burn half the cals.
    2) i increased my food intake by 400-500 a day (i am for 2000-2100 cals).

despite burning less and eating more, i started losing weight again. i did not have a weight gain period, though i expected to.

it's scary though. i still need to add some more cals to my workout days, but it still seems wrong to add cals to lose weight, even if it's already worked for me.
  • psicocat
    Options
    nice to see it working, anyone else?
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My results were quite the opposite. I was eating at 1200 calories and stalled. Went to TDEE-20%, set at sedentary AND ate back my exercise calories. Unfortunately, weight loss never kicked back in and for the past 2 to 3 months, I have lost and regained and lost and regained the same 3 pounds. I am currently working with the guys at IPOARM. I am now eating at TDEE for a week or two to get my metabolism "back in shape" and then will go down to TDEE-20%, set at lightly active and not eat my exercise calories. I am glad they are willing to help me out.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I started by setting my calories to TDEE, sedentary, for my GOAL weight (probably was equal to -20%) and eating that plus eating back exercise calories. It works quite nicely in my opinion. I am actually pretty sedentary though, I have a desk job and I don't cook or clean house during the week. I do all of my housework, grocery shopping and cooking on the weekend so I often log that because it is sustained activity.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Not a recommendation but what I'm doing which is working for me for now:

I'm still at the beginning of the journey but have decided to set my calories to sedentary TDEE-20% and not eat back exercise. I spur myself on to exercise with the days I just can resist going over with some evening snacking. As I really talk myself out of evening snacking and increase exercise, I may change this. But right now it's working and these ten weeks I have lost an average of about a pound and a half per week.
  • MissJen84
    MissJen84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau, I've fought the same 2 pounds for about 2 months. I just reset my calories to tdee (seditaty ) -20% which is about 1600. I probably should have set it higher ( I work out 3-4 days a week) but that was 1888 and I've only been eating 1200-1400 a day so I thought that was too big of a jump. I don't think I'm going to count my exercise calories for now and see how it goes...I hope it works for me, I'm in a wedding in about 2 months!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • psicocat
    Options
    hiya, do you eat below you bmr everyday? hows your energy levels?
  • psicocat
    Options
    Well i started Sunday and have gain 4 1/2 lb 5 days, am assuming its water, change in calories etc and not permanent.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Well i started Sunday and have gain 4 1/2 lb 5 days, am assuming its water, change in calories etc and not permanent.

In order to gain 4lbs, you must be eating 3500x4 ABOVE your daily calories.
  • MissJen84
    MissJen84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Alot of sodium and eating late can make you weigh heavy too... Weigh in a couple days and maybe you will have better results. I'm down almost 2 pounds since Monday which is when I raised my calories.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. Depending on her sodium intake for the week, she could be carrying a good amount of water weight. If she has eaten out within the past few days, that could do it. Also, if she isn't weighing herself first thing in the morning, she's also weighing the food in her stomach from the day that hasn't passed through yet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!