If I'm not allowed to use the word 'tone'...

Options

Replies

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    you are over thirty, and not avril lavigne. don't use sk8 either.

ouch. i'll abbreviate any dmn way i pls, TYVM. i like shortcuts. :laugh:
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    you are over thirty, and not avril lavigne. don't use sk8 either.

ouch. i'll abbreviate any dmn way i pls, TYVM. i like shortcuts. :laugh:

I like how it would be ok if you were Avril Lavigne. That is a very specific exception.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

I like how it would be ok if you were Avril Lavigne. That is a very specific exception.

isn't she like 30 now anyway??? she's not that much younger than me if i recall...
  • soldier4242
    Options

isn't she like 30 now anyway??? she's not that much younger than me if i recall...

She was born in 84 so she will be 30 next year. I think the reason she gets the free pass is because of her song "Skater Boy"
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

She was born in 84 so she will be 30 next year. I think the reason she gets the free pass is because of her song "Skater Boy"

That's sk8r boi
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Ripped
  • soldier4242
    Options
    building them up

personally I don't see anything wrong with using the word "toned" to describe a particular look. The objection is with using it as a verb, i.e. "to tone a muscle"... you can't tone muscles, you can build them up or let them atrophy. Maybe some people use the word "tone" synonymously with "build", but generally it's used in sentences like this "you don't want to lift heavy weights, they'll make you get bulky, here use these light weights to tone them instead" - this is nonsense. You can build them up or not, but what on earth does "tone" mean in this context? It's meaningless. If you want "toned" looking muscles, you have to build them up. People need to get that there's no actual difference between "building" and "toning". If they get that then I don't really care if they use "tone" and "build" synonymously (which would mean they'd say of 300lb bodybuilders "wow, his muscles are really toned" which most people never say, because they think building and toning muscles are two different things).

This explanation works for me. I think this may give me another method of approach that I can use in a different thread.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    correct use of the word isn't a crime, people seem to think it's a term that's only used to describe "lifting light" however if used correctly there's no problem with it

the term to me describes the visible muscle on your body, this happens by either increasing muscle mass and dropping body fat, or if you're already skinny just building muscle

it also implies you're not going for the built look like a body builder but just something noticable

for example:

"what are your goals for your exercise?"

"i'm going to build a bit of muscle and drop some fat so i look good"

"ah a bit of toning then?"

"yeah"

simple... if someone comments on your use of the word, school them on your knowledge of what it actually means so they dont get their knickers (panties) in a twist that someone is lifting light weights and their head pops off
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Someone will get upset no matter how you choose to express it, just use whatever word you want.

Except sk8.

:flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ahh, just use the word. The "toning police" will get all worked up again. It will be fun. :flowerforyou:
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I admit, I can't stand the word "tone" either. lol! Even though it's a pretty accurate word to describe what's going on. The word "tone" has a negative connotation for woman working to gain muscle. I am on a weightloss journey and a muscle gain journey. When I hear a woman say "I don't want muscle, I just want to 'tone,'" IT MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To gain muscle is to "tone." And many women have this whole "I don't want to look like a man" thing, that the word "tone" is used so inaccurately.

I think you should use any word you want to describe the change in your body. But, it's definitely true, if a female says the word "tone," it's usually followed by the "I don't want to look like a man" statement, which then makes the woman saying it seem totally ignorant to the world of muscle gaining.

I say "muscle gains" or "muscle gaining."
    But, DO YOU regardless of what people think!! :D
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Stop. Before you get muscles. Or bulky!

Gasp.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    great job Toning!! love that word! and carving as well;)
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    It is acceptable to use the word if you include a bra & panty picture.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Hard
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hard
    Not yet but I'm willing to listen.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Here are the steps:

1) Stop caring what a bunch of twitchy people think about a word that accurately describes the muscle to which you refer.

2) Carry on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont have ANY fat?!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Tune

As in, I went to the pool hall and really sunk that sk8 ball, tuning up my legs when I did.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ... how the fk am i going describe what is happening to my thighs? as i run and sk8 more every day, they are changing shape: getting bigger, and turning into convex constructions of flat planes with angles now (as opposed to the concave and smooth roundness of the past). i'm not losing fat (i don't have any).

Maybe I'm nuts but this is still losing fat. If you had 0% fat, you'd be dead.