I can't locate the formula......

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
I used the formula for calculating BMR/TDEE but I cannot find the one I used. I need to recalculate. Also, the last time I did this, I saw two formulas, one for metric units and one for standard units. Naturally you will get different numbers depending upon which is used. If you have this formula and you know whether to use standard or metric, please do share this info. I understand there are a few formulas, the one I had used 655 plus other numbers derived from multiplying height and weight and age in the equation.( It did not require body measurements or any of that). Then that answer was to be multiplied by the activity level. I had this written down for my easy reference but someone threw this away not realizing that I was using it.

Replies

Options
    AGAIN,..... AFTER searching I posted this. I was unable to find the formula and whether it was metric or standard. Any actual answers will be appreciated.

Someone actually posted this formula in the forums which is where I originally found it. I searched the forums as well as google and it must be somewhere in 275th page of results here.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Was it on Fitness Frog? or Fat2FitRadio?
    Options
    I found it in these forums. I remember it was 655 + then info in parentheses followed. I just cannot recall what was in those parentheses. I read through pages of posts and comments. I now wish I would have just bookmarked the page instead of writing it down.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am still not familiar with all the different formulas but there are 4 formulas to calculate the TDEE on the iifym.com calculator. it uses these methods: Mifflin-St Jeor, Harris-Benedict, Entering your specific Activity Level, and the Katch-McCardle. Might check it out and see if that helps
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here use this one:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Please don't get upset with me if this isn't what you are looking for.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I found it in these forums. I remember it was 655 + then info in parentheses followed. I just cannot recall what was in those parentheses. I read through pages of posts and comments. I now wish I would have just bookmarked the page instead of writing it down.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bmr+formula+655
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There are several different formulas so not sure which one you were using.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It's the Harris-Benedict formula/equation.

The Wikipedia article has it in kg/cm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation
    This page has it in lb/in: http://www.healthfitonline.com/resources/harris_benedict.php
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

This is too complicated for many people. I send them to scoobie's because it is on 4th grade level, easy, straightforward.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's the Harris-Benedict formula/equation.

Yup.

Predicted BMR for a woman: 655.0955 + (9.5634 x weight in kg) + (1.8496 x height in cm) – (4.6756 x age in years)

To obtain your TDEE then use the following activity multipliers:

Little to no exercise: BMR x 1.2
    Light exercise (1–3 days per week): BMR x 1.375
    Moderate exercise (3–5 days per week) BMR x 1.55
    Heavy exercise (6–7 days per week) BMR x 1.725
    Very heavy exercise (twice per day, extra heavy workouts)BMR x 1.9
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used the formula for calculating BMR/TDEE but I cannot find the one I used. I need to recalculate. Also, the last time I did this, I saw two formulas, one for metric units and one for standard units. Naturally you will get different numbers depending upon which is used. If you have this formula and you know whether to use standard or metric, please do share this info. I understand there are a few formulas, the one I had used 655 plus other numbers derived from multiplying height and weight and age in the equation.( It did not require body measurements or any of that). Then that answer was to be multiplied by the activity level. I had this written down for my easy reference but someone threw this away not realizing that I was using it.

You realize that those different numbers mean the same thing?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I have removed multiple posts from this topic and urge people to consider our guidelines when posting in a topic. I see a fair amount of trolling in our forums these days and request that folks either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or simply just move along without posting.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If body fat percentage is known, Katch-McArdle is typically the most accurate.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hi OP,

I would like to clarify an earlier comment that I made which may have been misinterpreted as trolling (that is defined as posts which are inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages designed to elicit an emotional reaction.)

If you google search, using only words from your original post ("formula for calculating BMR/TDEE 655") the first result is exactly the answer you were looking for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=formula+for+calculating+BMR/TDEE+655&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

If I gave you the link to the information, I would have answered your question but failed to show you how I found it, which is much more useful. It is more helpful to give you both the information you requested as well as illustrating how it was obtained.

So please allow this response to be a third tier of help for you - 1. Your answer. 2. The tools to find your answer. and 3. An alternate viewpoint which, if considered, may cause you to broaden your perspective and not react so poisonously when someone tries to assist you.

With love,
    Burt