Strength training!?

Options
So up until a few weeks ago I had my own elliptical in my apartment. I used it to run for one hour every weekday and I was doing good with weight loss. When my elliptical broke I decided to go with a gym membership and after some research I cut my running down to half an hour and do weights/strength training for thirty minutes.

Since this change in the past two weeks I have GAINED TWO POUNDS!

So my thoughts are that I should bump my running back up to one hour and do strength training in addition every other day for 20-30 minutes. To elaborate I have no problem keeping up with the one full hour of running because I've worked my way up to it. I'm also bumping my calorie intake from 1200 to 1380. I'm also thinking I should run on Saturdays and just rest on Sundays.

Any input on this? (IE: Good/bad/why/etc)

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think your weight gain is your muscles are retaining water/glycegen(sp?), especially if you're new to ST. It should go away in a few weeks.

Since your running takes quite a bit of time, have you thought about dedicating one day to cardio, the next to ST, and rest on Sunday? That's what I do....or attempt to do. Sometimes the schedule throws me off, but that's the plan.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'm not really new to strength training. I know it's been a few years since I played softball but I did do rock climbing pretty regularly within the past year as well as hiking and other fun outdoorsy activities. I'm overweight because I ate too much, not because I wasn't active.

I have not thought of switching off like that. Since time isn't that much of a factor (I have no problem waking up early for work and whatnot) I figured I could still do the cardio as well as the strength training. I just don't know if that would be counter productive or not.
  • robstot
    robstot Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not sure on your strength training what exactly you are doing for sets, weights etc. but a gain is usually the water retention in the muscles. If you are using different muscles than your rock climbing, or different areas of the muscles, than you have in the past, then yes, you may see some weight gain as your muscles retain the water for repair.
    AS for splitting for your training. Whatever is comfortable but usually a day of cardio one day then strength the next is good. You will have to experiment and see what works. I also suggest varying your routine about every 6 weeks to shock the muscles and avoid complacency.

Good luck
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm not really new to strength training. I know it's been a few years since I played softball but I did do rock climbing pretty regularly within the past year as well as hiking and other fun outdoorsy activities. I'm overweight because I ate too much, not because I wasn't active.

Me too, me too. But like was said above, new muscles will retain water. I make sure and never weigh myself after ST days.
    I have not thought of switching off like that. Since time isn't that much of a factor (I have no problem waking up early for work and whatnot) I figured I could still do the cardio as well as the strength training. I just don't know if that would be counter productive or not.

Way I look at it. Your muscles need some time to recover after ST. Might as well use that time for cardio. And neither work out will suffer from energy spent on the other. That's why I work it like that, but whatever you're comfortable with.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I see, that makes a lot of sense.

Thank you so much :)