How did building muscle effect your weight?

I hit a plateau about every 10 pounds. I hit one at 200 and now I'm hitting one early at 194. I'm thinking maybe it is because of my lifting. How did your lifting affect the scale? Did it go up and/or level off as u built muscle and then fall back down as more fat was being burned?

Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    throw out your scale with constant fluctuations even more pronounced with lifting, it's useless.
    use measuring tape.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    throw out your scale with constant fluctuations even more pronounced with lifting, it's useless.
    use measuring tape.

I think that would drive me nuts. I've gotten so used to being proud of how many pounds I've lost. And not knowing...UGH!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    use measuring tape.

I think that would drive me nuts. I've gotten so used to being proud of how many pounds I've lost. And not knowing...UGH!

Scales are useless when lifting. You're body will retain water when trying to repair muscles so your weight will fluctuate all the time.

Katy is right, chuck the scales are stick to tape measure.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    I never weigh when lifting, inches are what I look at.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    If you are trying to build muscle and doing that correctly, your weight should be going up.

It's impossible to tell what you're doing without knowing more information, such as your BF%, goals, current workout, goals, etc..
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    use measuring tape.

I am lifting. I still weigh myself, but I do measurements too. I like to see ALL the numbers, even if the scale is inaccurate and doing weird fluctuations from lifting. haha
    I know everyone says to chuck the scale, but I can't do that yet. Plus it's a pretty orange color. :wink:
  • MeIShouldB
    If you are trying to build muscle and doing that correctly, your weight should be going up.

It's impossible to tell what you're doing without knowing more information, such as your BF%, goals, current workout, goals, etc..

Dont know my BF number. I lift 2 days per week. Although 2 weeks ago, because I had access, I did it everyday. But normally 5 days is cardio (treadmill, eliptical, Jillian) Then weekends it's 40 minutes cardio and legs one day and cardio and arms the other day.
    If you are serious about bulking (building muscle) you would want to increase your weights, increase your calories/day and decrease the cardio

What you're doing now is more weight loss orientated.

If you want to bulk, check out mark rippletoe's "starting strength" or his sections on bodybuilding.com.

EDIT: I should say check out sections devoted to his type of programs, it's a beginners bulking program.
  • MeIShouldB
    If you are serious about bulking (building muscle) you would want to increase your weights, increase your calories/day and decrease the cardio

If you want to bulk, check out mark rippletoe's "starting strength" or his sections on bodybuilding.com.

I don't want to bulk. I want to lose weight and tone.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    use measuring tape.

Then do both, but a measuring tape should be part of the equation. Every month or so I measure around both arms at the biceps, waist at the belly button, hips, and both thighs.

Sometimes when your weight hasn't changed, your body composition has and those measurements will change. It helps keep you focused on the bigger picture and not solely your weight, which is counterproductive.

If you gain a pound next week but it's because you lost a pound of fat and added two of muscle, that is not a bad thing!
    if you want to lose weight, just eat less calories then you burn.

"toning" isn't exactly an accurate term. Do you want to just lose weight or a more muscular appearence?

What are your goals?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member

I don't want to bulk. I want to lose weight and tone.

It's almost impossible for a woman to get bulky. You just don't have the mix of hormones that men do that lead to us gaining muscle.

And there is no such thing as "getting toned." You are either gaining muscle or losing it. there is no in-between.
  • MeIShouldB
    if you want to lose weight, just eat less calories then you burn.

"toning" isn't exactly an accurate term. Do you want to just lose weight or a more muscular appearence?

What are your goals?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=488008191270160&set=a.426490180755295.104721.100001829499685&type=3&theater
    ^^^^ ULTIMATE GOAL
  • katy_trail
    the scale is completely unnecessary to check your progress so far, and if anything it will emotionally derail you.
    I'm almost always up by 2-5 pounds in water weight. I try to only weigh myself after 2 consecutive rest days when I also
    feel 'flat'. this is a term body builders use meaning when you feel completely unbloated and you're not retaining water at all.
    Very often we are retaining water, especially as beginners.so weighing more often than once or twice a month is just
    torturing yourself. i was very used to my own fluctuations before lifting, but if i do it too often, it messes me up too.

Instead, measure your progress by how your progress is going with your program.
    consistent training? rest? nutrition? meeting all your macos and calorie goals? are you still increasing strength?
    stalls? how do you FEEL?

these are much better indicators in the short term how you are doing and what to improve on.

your goal should be to make linear progress without getting injured or sick as long as possible.
    if your weights are still going up, your nutrition and rest is on point, then eventually the tape measure will move too.

it also sounds like you're doing way too much cardio. if this is a heavy lifting program, you need to limit your cardio
    to 2 days. You need days in your schedule that are just rest days. if you must exercise everyday, make some of it walking or light exercise. REMEMBER, losing fat is NOT about burning lots of calories in our workout. what we burn in the cardio workout is a shadow of what we actually burn throughout the day from muscle, or the calories we eat.

rest is important. muscle is rebuilt on rest days. with the right recovery, your lifting and any other workouts will be better than ever, and you'll appreciate them more. More is not better. Focus on being effective. Sustainable.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Lifting in a deficit may cause temporary weight gain due to water retention. Muscle mass won't really appear in a calorie deficit.
  • MeIShouldB
    Lifting in a deficit may cause temporary weight gain due to water retention. Muscle mass won't really appear in a calorie deficit.

I think I'm more trying to remove some of the fat from on top of the existing muscle before I start building it up more.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    To answer the title question, "building" muscle (really it's retaining muscle since I have spent very very little time consuming a calorie surplus) has made me fit into a smaller size at a higher weight. The last time I reached my current weight through a VLCD and extreme cardio, I was wearing clothes 2 sizes bigger.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    My weight loss has gone flat since I started lifting - I've lost some inches, but I now fit a size smaller than before and I really do feel muscles where I once didn't (thighs and even abs - OMG, I have abs O_O was quite a shock).

Everyone keeps telling me to STOP the lifting and loose more weight first and as of now, I've ignored them. I do understand than to loose I need a deficit, to gain I need a surplus. So I've been keeping my calories lower and added more cardio.... but I'm NOT STOPPING LIFTING :)
  • katy_trail
    My weight loss has gone flat since I started lifting - I've lost some inches, but I now fit a size smaller than before and I really do feel muscles where I once didn't (thighs and even abs - OMG, I have abs O_O was quite a shock).

Everyone keeps telling me to STOP the lifting and loose more weight first and as of now, I've ignored them. I do understand than to loose I need a deficit, to gain I need a surplus. So I've been keeping my calories lower and added more cardio.... but I'm NOT STOPPING LIFTING :)

being lighter doesn't mean anything. I'm lighter just by being dehydrated or bc i didn't eat breakfast yet.

losing INCHES means you're losing FAT, and that's what matters.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    thats what I am aiming for too, to shift the fat that is sat on top of my muscles... I am doing small amounts of resistance to help build muscle to help with the fat burning process, when I am happy that I have lost the fat gained from my meds, then I will bury my scale in the cupboard and start training properly...
    today I was tiold the difference could be seen but according to my scale I have lost absolutely nothing...
    persevere, you will get there but do not rely on the scale, like the others have said, rely on what the tape says :smile: