Does anyone use a personal trainer??

Options
13»

Replies

• Healthynut31
    Healthynut31 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I work out with a personal trainer twice a month.
    I like it because she pushes me to do just that little bit more that I probably would've stopped at. Now I've learned to not stop early just cause I feel tired or I can't do anymore reps. Just 1 or 2 more.
    I also like working with her because she teaches me an endless amount of exercises to keep me constantly changing & not doing the same thing over & over.
    ^^This^^ Thank you!!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    YES !!!!

The best thing I did (mine is really hot too ;) )

I hired mine because I wanted to increase endurance and strength training and I will honestly never look back he is phenomenal! As long as they don't spend your time and money doing cardio they are a great idea!

You may not do those extra ten reps by yourself but YOU WILL with a trainer!

best investment
    ^^This^^ Thank you for your reply!!
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    yes. i have two, one at my gym, and another whos also a friend. i need people to keep me accountable and push me =)
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i'd hire a trainer if i could afford one.

that said, yes, your plateau is normal and doesn't invalidate your current program in and of itself.
  • djkprojects
    djkprojects Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been with a personal trainer for 4 months and I love it. Your scale might not change much, but your size will definitely change. I bought a pair of jeans 3 wks ago and already had to get new ones. Don't give up. Trainers help you build muscle and strength. Remember muscle weighs a lot more than fat. Happy shopping!! You will need a new closet. mm

Yes, new clothes are one of the problems of losing weight :) I had to urgently buy new trousers lol :)
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    After following the advice of well meaning MFP friends and upping my protein intake and increasing my exercise, I have decided to hire a personal trainer. I have been working my butt of increasing my workouts to 2 hours 3x's per week, all forms and weight lifting and strength training, and in 18 days (almost 3 weeks) have not lost more than 2 pounds. I feel in my heart that something is not right here and before I give up, I am going to try a different approach. A personal trainer it is...
    Does anyone on here have any advice as to whether I should just stick it out in the gym, or hire a personal trainer?? Any advice welcome, thank you.

Why would you give up after only 18 days??!!!! You are doing great! Don't watch the scale so closely and give you body time to change. You will soon notice that your clothes fit differently, or that they are getting loose. that's where it counts!
    I meant 18 days since my last weight loss, not since I began trying to lose weight. Thanks for the advice!! :wink:
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I have been with a personal trainer for 4 months and I love it. Your scale might not change much, but your size will definitely change. I bought a pair of jeans 3 wks ago and already had to get new ones. Don't give up. Trainers help you build muscle and strength. Remember muscle weighs a lot more than fat. Happy shopping!! You will need a new closet. mm

Yes, new clothes are one of the problems of losing weight :) I had to urgently buy new trousers lol :)
    Thank you!! This is so encouraging!!
  • I think having a personal trainer is a luxury, not a necessity. With that being said you should definitely do some research on the person who is going to train you. Ask them questions such as their approach (towards your goal specifically), their flexibility towards sessions, and most importantly, you want to make sure the person is going to personally train you, and by that i mean she isn't going to essentially print a workout online and tell you to do it, anyone can do that. A great personal trainer should take into considerations any muscular imbalances, fix bad posture, do a mix of strength, hypertrophy, stability (big emphasis on this), and endurance work, also they should be very accommodating to you in exercise selection
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    yes. i have two, one at my gym, and another whos also a friend. i need people to keep me accountable and push me =)
    Congratulations to you!! Your weight loss is amazing!! It is for sure working in your case!!
  • kath2810
    kath2810 Posts: 93
    Options
    I am seriously considering a PT, I do weights and bagwork at home and run , but I need some one to push me, I find it helps me a lot more..
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I am seriously considering a PT, I do weights and bagwork at home and run , but I need some one to push me, I find it helps me a lot more..
    I agree. Having read the inspirational stories of others after posting this, I have decided to go ahead and to hire one. Good luck to you too!!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I think having a personal trainer is a luxury, not a necessity. With that being said you should definitely do some research on the person who is going to train you. Ask them questions such as their approach (towards your goal specifically), their flexibility towards sessions, and most importantly, you want to make sure the person is going to personally train you, and by that i mean she isn't going to essentially print a workout online and tell you to do it, anyone can do that. A great personal trainer should take into considerations any muscular imbalances, fix bad posture, do a mix of strength, hypertrophy, stability (big emphasis on this), and endurance work, also they should be very accommodating to you in exercise selection
    Thanks so much for this!!! I am taking this with me when I go and have my meet!!