how do you get rid of it?

Options
So my legs are bigger then most...I think....my thighs are big and the area right above my knee is the worst. The reason for it being the worst is because it stick out over my knee, when I stand up. So it look funny to me. What type of exercises should I do to help with the loss of weight in my thighs and right above my knees? Anyone else have this problem? It really bothers me, and honestly if I could get my thighs to go down, I think my weight would go down a lot too. Anyway just looking for some ideas. Right now just been doing Leslie Sansone stuff (LOVE HER!), letting a coworker borrow her DVD tonight, so no walking tonight. Any other ideas, other then walking?

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    We cannot control where the fat comes off when we lose weight. Good 'ol cardio will help you lose weight, but unfortunatly we can't choose from where. Oh, how I wish we could!! I would have smaller thighs and not smaller hands!!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Running will tone up your legs lickety split. I took 10 inches off of each of my thighs from doing couch to 5k (www.coolrunning.com)
  • karen1003
    Options
    I understand! I have the same issue and it really bothers me as well. I notice when I do the leg press machine at the gym I definitely feel it in my thighs (which always makes me think it is working!) but not nearly as quickly as I would like. I'm sure squats are also going to be a recommendation but I have a bad knee so those aren't quite as good for me.
    Looking forward to what others have to say!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    unfortunately we can't spot reduce but cardio is the BEST...water aerobics is good as well...I have that same issue but doing cardio, aerobics and water excercise has really made a difference in all around weight loss.
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    are you looking to simply lose the fat? if so, as many have said we can't choose where we lose it from, but running is great!! if you are looking to build muscle as well, add squats, lunges, deadlifts, leg press, calf raises to your regular routine. These will work the entire leg to maintain balanced strength.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I have slimmed drastically but my thighs are not cooperating. In fact, they may have gotten bigger due to my running so much I am building muscle underneath the fat.

Cardio is good for overall fat loss, and at least if your legs are toned you won't mind them being so big (my feelings anyway).
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do think there comes a point where we accept how we are built and let the preconceived notions die. I have very short legs and heavy thighs. Even as a kid. My family commented on it so much that I thought I was seriously fat even as a pre-teen. Now when I look back at those photos, I realize that I was believing a lie. I wasn't fat at all! I DO have abnormally short legs when compared to the rest of my body, and that probably added to the heavy thigh impression. Well, I can't make my legs grow, so . . . . Everybody else: DEAL WITH IT.
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Running will tone up your legs lickety split. I took 10 inches off of each of my thighs from doing couch to 5k (www.coolrunning.com)

How long did it take you to start noticing a change? I started C25K last week....doing W2 this week!!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I've heard that bicycling will tone your legs - but like running, it will likely add muscle - which isn't a bad thing.

There are also some yoga and pilates moves that focus on the legs. My yoga class instructor told me about this website www.YogaJournal.com where you can tell it which part of the body you want to focus on, and it will show you the specific moves to do.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options

How long did it take you to start noticing a change? I started C25K last week....doing W2 this week!!

I started C25K at the end of January, and took 10 inches off by May.
  • shoegirl1
    shoegirl1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    KnittyGirl - I had the same complex - I thought I was fat as a teen, when I really wasn't! Looking back now, I wish I had those days back! I'm working on it! :wink:

BLH - everyone nailed it: running, squats, lunges, leg press. If you have difficulties with your knees, start small. I would start with squats, 3 sets of 10. Watch your form - your knee should be a straight line to your ankle and not go beyond. If forward lunges are too awkward, start with backward lunges. If you like exercise videos, Tae Bo and Turbo Jam have really good exercises for strengthening quads.
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    Running, vigorous biking, vigorous swimming as a catalyst to lose fat and gain muscle--yoga and/or pilates to lengthen those beautiful muscles out. It takes time, though, so persistence really is key. i can't stress that enough.
  • monkeyfood
    monkeyfood Posts: 106
    Options
    I've been biking almost every day for a month now and my legs are noticeably smaller. They are toning up a little too and I don't notice nearly as much "cottage cheese"
    Plus it keeps my heart rate up and I burn a lot of calories in an hour which is a huge plus!