Why you gain weight if you eat more than your cut

Options

Replies

• usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This makes sense, hopefully I can remember it when the time comes. :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I am always having to remind people of that when they complain that they gained 5 lbs after a weekend of excess.
  • Misha6
    Misha6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is super helpful! Thanks so much for sharing the information that you have learned.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've only been on maintenance 2 weeks and actually didn't up Calories too much as wanted to do if slow. I've already put back 1.5 llbs out of a 9 llb loss! It's took about 3 months to lose the 9 llb and I want to maintain at 112 llbs. But what yr saying I need to do is lose a bit more first say another 3 -4 llb! To be able to maintain ish at 112! I do understand the science of it, it just makes me sad I've got to lose more as these 9 llbs were such hard work!! Hope i haven't mis understood!!

Or you could just not care about water weight...it's water, not fat.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Helpful. Thanks.
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!! I'm working on my last ten and am beginning to plan for maintenance. This is incredibly helpful!
  • samiramom
    samiramom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Right on point with your advice!! Thanks so much!! My original goal was 145 then I dropped it to 140 and now I am at 137 as the goal...I am scared to add the maintenance calories in but will try it and see!

Thanks again!!
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this, really timely for me. I bummed myself out over the weekend when I went up in weight eating at around what I thought will be my maintenance calories, worrying that maintenance for me was going to be lower. But of course what you say makes loads of sense. Also, PPs are right it's not about the scale, if I could just convince myself of that when tempted to step on the bathroom scale...
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! Thank you!!!
  • MrsPeek
    MrsPeek Posts: 12
    Options
    bump
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post and I am at that stage now.

I want to maintain a 12 stone weight but currently maintaining 12 stone 3 to 12 stone 7 for 2 months now (172 pounds). I seem to hold onto about 3-4 pounds of glucogen/water weight . Therefore, I am aiming to go down to 11st 10. However getting there is hard work.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!
    I started out at 141 lbs. For two weeks, I ate 1300 calories per day and quickly went down to 134 lbs.
    Last week I had some work events to attend, serving a lot of food I couldn't say no to. I tried to minimize the extra cals, ending up at around 1500 cals a day. i thought, "it's still under what I burn from daily activities, so maybe I haven't lost as much or worse yet, have remained at the same weight". I weighed yesterday, and I was back up to 136! I couldn't believe. Felt wronged and pissed off. Now I'm doing 1300/day again and won't stop till I'm at 123 lbs. I feel like I'm at war with my body and have to "show it what's what"!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Wow, this IS helpful.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear!
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    This is why it's best to ignore the scales for the most part. Do measurements, go by clothes size and how you feel generally. If you look great and feel great, why concern yourself with a couple of numbers?
  • PrettyLilPixie
    Options
    I wish I would have seen this a week ago! I ate a little more than I should at a birthday party and then struggled a lot with telling myself the scale didn't matter when I gained 5 lbs. This post has opened my eyes. I didn't really gain any fat. The scale was back down today. This makes SO MUCH SENSE.
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    Great post. Water retention is a funny thing, most people never seem to consider it. That's why we have a hundred freak-out threads a week. "I had a cheat day and I gained 5lbs!" Well, if you think about it for more than 3 seconds, you'll realize you probably didn't eat 17500 calories over your maintenance. All those carbs (and sodium) just causes a bunch of water retention. Not a big deal. Same story with this thread and eating at maintenance. Personally that's why I hate using weight as a measurement, it doesn't mean much. Wish there were a way to easily and accurately measure bodyfat percentage, that would be a lot more helpful to your actual progress.

My problem is that I used to be used to that 2 to 3 pound fluctuation. Now that doesn't seem to happen - I gain that "water weight" and it takes a week and a half to lose it again. Frustrating!!!