Every Single Flippin Time....

Options

Replies

• Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Why not keep going and see what the new you is like? Good luck!

Great question!!! I love this! Thanks!!! xo
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    WOW! You guys are all hitting the nails on the head. THANK YOU!! :flowerforyou: ....and I'm so glad others can relate and hopefully take something positive out of this too!!!
    I dug deep and got really honest with myself and discovered that I was afraid of success. If I became extraordinary, people would come to expect that from me. What if I'm a total fraud? What if I can't really sustain that? Dropping back and settling seemed, safer. Sadder, but safer.

I don't know if that's something you struggle with, but facing that fear changed everydamnthing for me, and some similar soul-searching might yield surprising revelations for you.:flowerforyou:

^^ I think this has a lot to do with it! Success is scary. Family members have accused me of being selfish in my healthy lifestyle endeavor and even vain so I'm sure this is part of it. Relationships change as I do and it's scary. I think I need to do some soul searching here. THANK YOU!!! :flowerforyou:
    You are quite welcome!
  • geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have a real answer, but something I have noticed about myself is that I can be influenced without noticing it too much. So... I suggest that you don't watch food TV, don't watch any TV that shows food or people eating. Instead, if you do watch TV, watch shows where people are very active or working to get healthy. Basically, I get hungry watching TV... and there's simply no reason for that. So opt for better influences. Pick up a book or a magazine about health. Keep perusing blogs about workouts. Just slam your brain with messages of being fit, active, and healthy. Or research how the lack of these things leads to terrible health issues. Review pictures of back when you started and enjoy the progress you can see. Think about the person you'd like to be.

Like I said, I don't know how much this might help you. But, I have definitely noticed that messages I take in through TV, radio, conversations, books... it all matters. So make sure all of your "inputs" are geared toward your goals. It's a lifestyle. It's okay if it dominates your life and your thoughts... it's a good alternative.
  • HenkoEienNi
    Options
    Not reading all the comments haha I'm the same way! I lost 60lbs and I just have 15-20lbs more to go. I stopped for a few months and I'm actually glad I did. It is good to maintain for a while. Gives your mind a chance to see what you done. Look at the past and reflect on everything. Towards the end I gained a few pounds back which pushed me to start again (lost the lbs I gained). It took me 2 good weeks to get back on track but I'm glad it happened. It showed me how fast you can gain it back and the bad habits I fell into. You're doing great girl don't beat yourself up!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have times like that, where I just want to say screw it all and eat myself silly. But then I think what is wrong with me? why would I want to undo everything I have accomplished. Why would I want to go back to where I was. I couldn't get comfortable at night, having to use the sleep apnea machine to breath at night. Being tired from just walking to the bathroom. I actually like myself right now. I like how I look in the mirror. I still have a ways to go before I'm ready to stop, but I never ever want to go back where I was. You do have to want it bad enough and it's going to be a daily battle, but if you have that conversation with yourself every time you want to give up, then you'll be here for the long haul. I find now that I have those times less often. Even now when I'm not losing anything, I have not wanted to give up, I have not gotten upset because the scale is not moving. I just keep plugging away and very proud of how far I've come while keeping my goals in place.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I have done that many times.

For me, it's because I was successful for a while, lost a good deal of weight, and I'm all proud of myself and give myself a "break".
    During that break, I don't track/log my food. It's a break. I go out more, I eat out more, I drink more, my portion sizes start to increase, my calorie intake blows up, and next thing I know, I just blew all my hard work in a few months.

Now I gotta start all over again.

This time around, I am tempted to just say, hey, I have lost almost 50 lbs! I deserve a break. But do I really? What do I deserve? Why do I deserve that kind of break when it's just going to undo all my hard work?! Why do I think I need that?

This time around I DECIDED I deserve to be at my goal. I deserve to keep going and lose that other 30 lbs that I keep "ignoring". I deserve to be happy and confident with my body. I deserve to push myself beyond my limits and see what I'm REALLY capable of. I deserve better. I deserve more.
    And THIS time, nothing is going to stop me. I have DECIDED.

That's the difference. It's a decision.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs with WW about 9 years when my youngest son was a small baby,I reached my goal weight became a gold member and then found I was lost,all my effort seemed to go into loosing it and then WHAT??? I just seemed to let it go and gradually put it all back on again I really dont know why I seem to treat weightloss like a hobby I get tired of it and pick up again later,I have played with the same stone and a half since my early 20s I have never been more than 28 lbs overweight right now Im about 16lbs from where I would like to be but I seriously dont think Ill get there and if I do stay there!!!!
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had a really good sucess story about two or three years ago, lost about fifty pounds, weight about 120 pounds and was really healthy and happy. I was deployed at the time and so I didn't notice a change in how people acted towards me or anything of that sort. However once I got home I expected to go back to being invisible girl again, and it didn't happen. I think for me my biggest issue is going to be overcoming my worries that if I lose weight people will only want to talk to me because I'm not huge. I think some of t he advice given is really good, you need to sit back and figure out WHY you're doing this to yourself because no matter what there is a reason and you just dont' eralize it yet.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    After you've lost a lot, you might have to re-evaluate your weight loss strategy. Frequently when you lose motivation it's because your body needs a break, or is trying to let you know that it's having trouble maintaining pace. A few thoughts:

1. If you've been at it for more than 3-4 months, you might need to take a small break (2 weeks) before continuing. Instead of falling off the wagon, monitor your calories at maintenance. That way you remain accountable but your body gets a break from the steady deficit. (You'd be amazed at how much of a difference +500 calories can make!)

2. As you get closer to your goal, unfortunately weight loss gets slower and slower. Try cutting your deficit in half and see how you feel. If you're set to -2 lbs a week go to one, if you're at -1, go to -0.5.

3. Try varying your exercise routine up. Try something new! I started to stall out and then found an activity I enjoyed enough that I forget I originally started it to lose weight. Distract yourself from the fact that you're losing weight by enjoying the process.

Hope this helps!
  • JPal5
    JPal5 Posts: 178
    Options
    I was stuck in a rut for 4 months with no motivation. I suddenly realised that I hadn't really had a 'goal body' in mind. I wanted to lose weight and be healthier but had no real mental picture of what I wanted to look like. So I flipped through some fitness mags, found the body I wanted and now every time I feel like flaking I think about that picture and just dig deep and go for it. Also I found someone at work to go to the gym with at lunch breaks and cycle to work with so if I flake out I feel even more guilty for not going. I guess once it becomes more of a habit I won't need her to help motivate me, but for now this is what's working for me.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Well my success story is still playing out right now, but I have done the same things you have so I'll share why this time is different. There wasn't some big booming breakthrough moment, nothing happened at all. I dug deep and got really honest with myself and discovered that I was afraid of success. If I became extraordinary, people would come to expect that from me. What if I'm a total fraud? What if I can't really sustain that? Dropping back and settling seemed, safer. Sadder, but safer.

I don't know if that's something you struggle with, but facing that fear changed everydamnthing for me, and some similar soul-searching might yield surprising revelations for you.:flowerforyou:

Whoa. This is hitting me where I live. Do you know me? :embarassed:

Right!?!?! Dr Phil ain't got nuttin on this group! :wink:

So true!!!!!! Yes. I feel like I've been accomplished in other areas of my life, just not this one. And why is that?? I got 2 Master's degrees in 3 years, so shouldn't I be able to tackle this too? Thanks for this thread!
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I stay motivated because I have gym friends who rely on me and I rely on them. if I do not
    show up to a class they think something is wrong and the same when they do not.. Find some fit
    friends and keep telling each other how great you look. You should love the feeling of being fit and happier than
    before and say I am never going back.. Be afraid to go back.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Me too. I completed Insanity the beginning of May.. I am now finding myself eating like crap (had not 1 but 2 bags of chips yesterday) again and missing workouts. I just ordered a new dvd through Netflix that I'm starting tonight. Hoping to shake it up a bit. Summer is too close for me to lose all the gains I've made

Hang in there everyone.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It may be something none of us can answer for you. Are you looking at this as a temporary change? Something to do till you get to goal weight? For most of us, this isn't about just counting calories and exercising till we get to goal weight, it's about getting there and maintaining for life.
    If you look at eating healthy and exercise as a lark that you do to lose weight, then sure, you're going to give up. It's boring, it's hard, why should I do it. But it's not a diet, it's not just a temporary thing. You quit a diet, you don't quit life.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Didn't read any replies, so sorry if this is repeat advice...

Why not go in short spurts, rather than a marathon?

If you have 30 more lbs to lose, break it up and then take breaks in between. For example, work on 5-10 more lbs, then take a break for a week or a few weeks and eat at maintenance. Break up the big picture, into small little snap shots. That way the journey doesn't seem as long or impossible.
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I have now do it to myself three times, no more!
    This time I'm doing 1 thing at a time instead of it all at once b/c apparently all at once burns me out faster and I fall off track real fast.
    I lost 60lbs and have gained back all but 24 or it. I mean really all that hard work for nothing! It's so frustrating. I cant even tell you why I do this or what causes it. it's just bam I wake up one day and I'm like WTF happened??

This time I'm starting with getting my diet under control, no fast food, healthier choices, cutting out the sodas. I can have pizza but instead of 3 or 4 slices i have 1 or 2 and the more veges on it the better. It doesnt sound like much but it's working so far back down 6lbs in 10 days. My goal for the next 10 days is to start incorporating some light exercise in, instead of going strictly clean eating and full hardcore combat, and turbofire. im going to start with walking and see if i can get up to jogging. It will take me longer but i should be able to stick with it longer than just one day apparently throwing in the towel as I have in the past.
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! i'm at the halfway slump too. I am trying to push through it and I'm thinking I should change everything up. Maybe if I make it all as fresh, new and exciting as day 1 i'll get to my next goal with the same energy as before. This week i'm going to find new recipes, do a whole bunch of group fitness classes I haven't tried before and get out of my comfort zone again. I think it all comes down to being honest with ourselves, and remembering to re-evaluate and re-energise every now and again, i hope it works. Thought i'd share just incase anyone likes the idea for themselves :)

xo
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Relationships do change...I've had people say - you looked better before- or- I didn't notice that you lost weight-. Seriously, THAT'S a buzz kill when you worked so hard. And maintaining is really the hardest part. There is something to the idea of beginning to eat like you intend to eat. I don't think that means Whoppers and FF every night, but to look for ways to use your real life and your relationship to food that goes into your body. We love ice cream....and so I bought a ice cream maker. I control the amount of sugar...no high fructose corn syrup and I can use whole milk from the dairy...no additives. It's fresh...doesn't cost as much as you might think. Things like that. Stay away from the processed foods because - I believe - that there's almost an addictive aspect to them. Find a passion and build on it....I do yoga every day. Some people run...or bike...or go to the gym. And treat yourself occasionally too. It does take time and effort. Good luck! We're here for you!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I read this thread! I've just started a month ago and am so happy about the 10 pounds I've lost... I saw a friend last week who has lost almost as much weight as I have yet to lose. I was excited to share my loss with her and she said, "Yeah, but the trick is to sustain that for two or three years." Gee, thanks Jenn - way to support me! So I said, "Well, if you can do it, I can do it too!" She didn't realize it, but boy did that motivate me... I don't want to have to see her again next time & have her be right!
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It may be something none of us can answer for you. Are you looking at this as a temporary change? Something to do till you get to goal weight? For most of us, this isn't about just counting calories and exercising till we get to goal weight, it's about getting there and maintaining for life.
    If you look at eating healthy and exercise as a lark that you do to lose weight, then sure, you're going to give up. It's boring, it's hard, why should I do it. But it's not a diet, it's not just a temporary thing. You quit a diet, you don't quit life.
    This is definitely not a fad for me. This is a lifestyle change....at least that is what I am trying desperately to achieve but 37 years of up/down.....being an athlete....being fat......being fit.....eating ****.....it's hard to break. I am, however, here to make a permanent change.