Every Single Flippin Time....

Options
13»

Replies

• goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I feel like that as well. I have only lost 22lbs and I just feel like blahhhhhhhhhh. But we can motivate each other. I am trying not to give up.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I read this thread! I've just started a month ago and am so happy about the 10 pounds I've lost... I saw a friend last week who has lost almost as much weight as I have yet to lose. I was excited to share my loss with her and she said, "Yeah, but the trick is to sustain that for two or three years." Gee, thanks Jenn - way to support me! So I said, "Well, if you can do it, I can do it too!" She didn't realize it, but boy did that motivate me... I don't want to have to see her again next time & have her be right!
    Welcome and congrats on 10lbs!!! Keeping negative people out of your head is critical! ...even when we love them. :flowerforyou:
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau for over a month and started to get discouraged, what I did was look back at my before pictures…seeing the difference I’ve made in the last 5 months made me realize
    1. All the hard work is worth the effort
    2. I did NOT want to go back to how I was before.
    Also I started going to the stores and trying on clothes & outfits I really liked…since I love to shop & one of my biggest goals is to wear regular size clothes (not plus size) it motivated me to keep working hard so I could either fit in those outfits I tried on or they would look better on me.

Yesterday I actually bought a pair of regular size 14 pants (yes that’s still big to many but compared to the size 20W I was wearing in January that is a big deal for me) They fit a little snug, but now they are hanging in my room on the closet door so I see them every day I want to wear those pants!!

I think it goes back to finding what’s important to YOU!! Why did you start to get healthier in the first place, reassess your goals and set new ones!
    Best of luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Maiden
    Options
    Didn't read any replies, so sorry if this is repeat advice...

Why not go in short spurts, rather than a marathon?

If you have 30 more lbs to lose, break it up and then take breaks in between. For example, work on 5-10 more lbs, then take a break for a week or a few weeks and eat at maintenance. Break up the big picture, into small little snap shots. That way the journey doesn't seem as long or impossible.
    Honestly, I had never considered this approach but it sounds like a good idea. I've been going hard for months & perhaps I'm burned out. Switching up the pattern is a good idea! Thank you! (and others who suggested as well)
  • rksimmons
    rksimmons Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think that it far easier to fall out of a routine, then to stay in one. I think that it is totally natural to have spurts of energy and then have it kind of, taper off. You may need to switch up your routine a little and mix it up to keep it fresh. Keep reading motivational posts, or even get a partner at the gym or someone that can meet you to work out so that you feel more compelled to show up. You have come a long ways and you can certainly keep it up! Just keep pushing forward. You already know that the rewards are phenomenal. Good luck and keep up the hard work :)
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Every three or four months I get tired of eating at a deficit, so I take a break for a couple of weeks and eat at maintenance (this usually coincides with illness or vacation...sometime I'm not working out as much as usual). Afterward, I am ready to get back to business! I don't gain fat during my break because I don't eat above maintenance. The psychological and physiological break is really welcome....and since I do it intentionally, there's no danger of feeling like I've already screwed up and then giving up.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Just hit the reset button. You cannot go back and fix what happened. You can just change now what you're doing. Also know you are capable of achieving what you want to and we are all capable of amazing things! Stay positive and start planning today of what you're going to do differently and stick to it. We are not perfect. I hoped by now I'd be down closer to 100 lbs, but unfortunately that did not happen. I just pick myself up, dust off and get going! Good luck to you!
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its good to build in a week of "food vacation", don't be awful, but let yourself indulge just a bit. I say build it in as part of the routine, like "two months good, one week off" That way there is a limit. You know you have to get back on the wagon, but hopefully it will both motivate you and keep you from getting bored or demotivated. Plus, this can help jumpstart weight loss again. I just took a carb vacation- I didnt watch them for a week. Now I'll g o back to two months of c.100g carbs, my body normally responds by losing weight faster for a time. It helps stop plateaus.

I also enjoy changing things up. If I get bored weight lifting, I go back to belly dancing or zumba, or kayaking. Class situations are particularly helpful because someone will notice if you arent there, and if you are cheap like me then I know if I PAY for something I'll go. I hate wasting money. But, even if you cant afford/have time for a class, you can find a lot of those types of workouts or lessons on youtube, vimeo, etc. Change things up, keep it fresh, do somethign with friends instead. If you make it an adventure its not so tiring, its not a pattern.

And dont exclude meditation or strolls in the park just because its not "exercise." These type of stress reliefs are really helpful.

And sometimes...you just have to do it. You have to persevere. What helps me is this "checklist" that someone made me create when I started. I thought it was some hippy-**** at first, but its actually been great. First write down all the reasons you want to lose weight, be reallllly honest, write what you are looking forward to, and then write down your success story as though you've already done it, and write down the top ten thigns that are best now that your goal has been met. Honestly, reading my "future" top ten as though I've already done it, and reading my success story as though I've already completed it, really breaks down a mental barrier for me. It seems so much more doable.

Good luck!
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Becky, my sweet friend, you got this! We are here to support you and to try to motivate you - remember how much you were loving the boxing, maybe look into similar classes but try a kickboxing class to mix things up a bit and make your routine feel fresh again???

I was getting fed up of sitting on my exercise bike in the spare room, so the spare room door got closed and the exercise bike lay idle, one of my lovely MFP friends asked if I had gotten rid of my exercise bike because I wasn't posting burns any more, that little reminder was enough to make me open the door of the spare room again. Still boring... so I decided to look in the local ads online and bought a second-hand mountain bike, you know the rest, you mocked my first bicycle burn because it was too short a ride BUT I was overjoyed to have been out and done it. I was out in the fresh air on my bike Thursday, Friday and Sunday and loved every second. It's still "new" and no doubt I will get fed-up with that too eventually but the mixing things up and adding something new has really helped with my motivation.

You know the healthy foods you enjoy (and sadly, we both know Scottish shortbread and ultimate burgers can't be on that list as often as we would like!) Time to get some shopping in, fill the cupboards with healthy options and the occasional wee treat, we are none of us perfect 100% of the time. I know you can get to 99.9% without much effort at all, can I tag along for the ride?

EDIT - My wonderful friend Becky has a wicked sense of humour, when I say she mocked my cycle ride, I was mocking it even more, I thought I had done about 10 miles but Mapometer put me right - 4.6 miles was pretty poor!! :laugh:
  • marionmmm
    marionmmm Posts: 61
    Options
    It is really amazing to hear the same stories that I am experiencing... just this morning I was telling myself to just get use to being 185. I too lost 60lbs. But my gut is still here. I look to MFP for motivation and focus, and for sharing similar stories. All of your words have really resonated with me... geesh, I am all veclemt (spelling...?)
    Anyway THANK YOU for this post. It is as if I wrote it. I promise myself to not quit, TO SEE WHAT THE NEW ME IS LIKE...

thank you all for your honesty and your stories... greatly appreciated!!!

Marion
  • Iron_Maiden
    Options
    Becky, my sweet friend, you got this! We are here to support you and to try to motivate you - remember how much you were loving the boxing, maybe look into similar classes but try a kickboxing class to mix things up a bit and make your routine feel fresh again???

I was getting fed up of sitting on my exercise bike in the spare room, so the spare room door got closed and the exercise bike lay idle, one of my lovely MFP friends asked if I had gotten rid of my exercise bike because I wasn't posting burns any more, that little reminder was enough to make me open the door of the spare room again. Still boring... so I decided to look in the local ads online and bought a second-hand mountain bike, you know the rest, you mocked my first bicycle burn because it was too short a ride BUT I was overjoyed to have been out and done it. I was out in the fresh air on my bike Thursday, Friday and Sunday and loved every second. It's still "new" and no doubt I will get fed-up with that too eventually but the mixing things up and adding something new has really helped with my motivation.

You know the healthy foods you enjoy (and sadly, we both know Scottish shortbread and ultimate burgers can't be on that list as often as we would like!) Time to get some shopping in, fill the cupboards with healthy options and the occasional wee treat, we are none of us perfect 100% of the time. I know you can get to 99.9% without much effort at all, can I tag along for the ride?

Lesley - Tag along?? I couldn't do this without you! xoxo :flowerforyou:
  • yelldan22
    yelldan22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I know I will. My therapist told me something that really made sense to me. Most people who have an eating disorder or weight problems all suffer from some sort of anxiety. I know I do. When something comes along that I've never done before and don't know how it will end up I get anxious. This sometimes prevents from doing that one thing. I've never been skinny. Been overweight my entire life. For me it is the fear of what will I be like at a lower weight? How will I look? It's the unknown that scares me.
  • Kimberly3013
    Kimberly3013 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For me it is more of a fear....fear of what kind of person I will become, will I be like one of those girls that feels they need to flaunt their bodies, will I look down on others that are overweight, basically will I get stuck on myself. These are traits I have seen in so many girls and women that I don't want to become like that. My second fear is that my relationship with my husband will go downhill. I know that it wont but he has had so many heartbreaks that on several occasions he has made comments about loving me the way I am. He has encouraged me through the weight I have lost but at the same time has made comments about me not needing to lose that much more. "He likes my thighs", "where are you going to lose 30 more lbs from" " if you lose 30 more how are you going to stay as strong as you are now", these are just a few of the comments he makes that send me wondering if I am doing the right thing. I know he is not making them to hurt me, its more of an insecurity from him thinking I will find someone better if I look better. I have reassured him that my purpose of losing weight is not to go out and find a buff guy.

But I think for me it just boils down to fear. I have to keep reminding myself of my reasons for losing weight. I am doing this for my family and for me. I have seizures in my sleep and the doctors put me on a CPAP thinking that it may be getting worse due to apnea. The doctor said I probably wont need it if I lose weight. I also have a teenager who is Type 1 diabetic and I want to show him that you don't have to overload on carbs to get satisfied. He has a good metabolism now but I worry about what is going to happen when he gets older and his metabolism slows down. I also have an 18 year old that is going to boot camp in less than a month and he has asked me on a couple of occasions to go running with him, I couldn't do it because I couldn't keep up. I don't want this to continue. My reasons for doing it outweigh my reasons for not doing it.

Sit down and list what your reasons are and make sure they are greater than reasons for not. I have mine hung on my refrigerator so that I am reminded every time I want that extra thing to eat. It has helped me.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Options
    I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I know I will. My therapist told me something that really made sense to me. Most people who have an eating disorder or weight problems all suffer from some sort of anxiety. I know I do. When something comes along that I've never done before and don't know how it will end up I get anxious. This sometimes prevents from doing that one thing. I've never been skinny. Been overweight my entire life. For me it is the fear of what will I be like at a lower weight? How will I look? It's the unknown that scares me.
    This makes perfect sense and you'll probably have much success as you're handling this from a physical & mental perspective at the same time! For me (and many others it seems), it really is both. Well planned & best of luck!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a magic motivation wand I could wave over everyone.

Most of my motivation comes from within. Now I am not as gung ho as I was when I first started, but knowing this is for life, not a diet, helps me keep things in perspective. Everything is pretty much habit now.... routine . I upped my calories by 100 and haven't lost any weight since April 9th......... I even GAINED three pounds. But this morning I weighed myself and that 3 pounds is finally gone. It's just patience.

No matter what, you can just pick up where you left off. That's the great thing about losing weight. :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not alone in this but my question is....How did you get past it? How did you dust yourself off and keep going?

That is the trick, eh? How do we keep ourselves on track. Well, first we have to accept the journey is not going to be linear. We won't ALWAYS want to track. there will be days here and there, or maybe even weeks during vacations of stress times we just don't need to think about it. The key is, that we make the better choices the majority of the time. By doing so we continue to break our old habits. This is simply making those better choices even wehn we don't feel like it or want to. Eventually we break through again and start feeling like we are on track.

Good luck!
  • Lavitabella174
    Lavitabella174 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So many great comments! And obviously we have all gotten to this point so I guess the first realization is to see how normal it is in our weight loss journey. I myself have always fallen victim of this and have over the years figured out what works for me and of course what works for me doens't always work for everyone.

1. I have learned to not beat myself up. Givemyself a break, take a week off and really not feel bad about it. But give yourself a date where all the crap disappears and dedication begins. For me, having a week of eating what I like, not counting calories, not being obsessed with my runs or the gym. My brain is oly capable of doing that for so l0ong before it too needs a break.
    2. be okay with a few pounds of weight gain. It is going to happen for the rest of your life. What are you never going to go on vacation again? never eat french fries again? (Yes, I LOVE french fries!!!) It's called lifeand it is worth living, so yes, I want to be able to enjoy those french fries without feeling horrible about it!
    3. Go jeans or bathing suit shopping. Works everytime, once I am in that mirror in a bikini seeing all side sof me, I am usually super motivated for the next week.
    4. This one seems odd but I am sure you can all relate. I have that one person in my world that always puts down what I do. Whether I eat wrong, or exercise wrong or prepare my food wrong. They are the polar opposite. Or they have some fad diet of their own they are trying to push on you. Maybe they are the person who isalways one step ahead of you or the person who is always challenging you. Have a conversation with them. you knowthe conversation which you ALWAYS avoid? I find these people to motivate me even more. When someone tells me that I am never going to lose weight doing what I know works for my body I am always recharged
    5. Watvh Rudy, Rocky, motivational viedos on youtube. Read posters, blogs, browse through websites. My favorite of course is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STp1UtMrKR4 (if youhave never seen it, worth the time)

I am not sure about fear, is it the fear that we will never get there? Is it easier to always be fighting the fight? Possibly. I have always had to work hard at losing the weight. I have kept off 45 pounds for the past ten years. I still have 20 to go. I have almost reached my goal 6 times. The last twenty are the hardest to achieve. Maybe I'll get there, maybe I won't. but what I do know is this. I love who I am. I love my body for what it is capable of, even if it is 20 pounds heavier than it should be. My body allows me to run marathons, to get out of bed every day and spin, box, run, jump, and do whatever I ask of it. At the end of the day, that has been the hardest lesson to learn in my journey.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    BUMPING...because I experience the SAME thing!!!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    The overwhelming struggle with guilt outweighs my struggle with eating right and being healthy. I don't want to have to do it all over again and again and again, like I always did in the past. Making the right change for good is much easier...and it's taken me a long time to realize that and I will always struggle, but it's the only way for me now!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

I know I'm not alone in this but my question is....How did you get past it? How did you dust yourself off and keep going? Intellectually, I know the right things to do but something in me isn't clicking right now and it's both irritating and scaring me. If you could help share your breakthrough to success story, it may help me see something I'm missing & perhaps help others who can relate as well.

Thanks for listening,
    Becky

This is my biggest fear! ...Well Junebugs are my biggest fear but this comes right after.

I got to such an unbelievable weight that I often wonder/worry about how I got there. I remember long stretches of activity and eating right in my past life but I can't pinpoint what brought that on, and more scary - I can't pinpoint what stopped that.

That is the scary part - every day or at least every couple of days I actually worry about what if I fall off track again tomorrow... What if whatever triggers me falling off happens tomorrow.

I do a good job of putting that to the back of my mind, but it is always kind of present.

This is now becoming one of my longer, more successful and more intense stretches of a new lifetstyle - as the time continues to build I find the most helpful things i have done are..

1. Accountability/Support - Telling people about my weight loss. I waited unti I lost 75lbs because I was scared of hyping it up but I find it a lot more difficult to fall off track when so many people know I am working on it. People's support also helps. I think MFP is great for this too when you use the social aspect of it (something I am beginning to do).

I am also lucky enough to be doing this weight loss with my brother - having a "weight loss" buddy is super effective in keeping you on track.

2. Motivation - Staying motivated is a personal thing of course. Different people are motivated by different things. Find out what motivates you and study the **** out of it. For me some things that helped:

- Programming calendar app with motivational quotes and affirmations that pop up a couple times a day.
    - Find motivating people and follow them. For me that includes people like Eric Thomas who I watch on Youtube regularly. CT Fletcher is an entirely different type of motivation but he is another guy who's videos I watch.
    - Success Stories - I regularly check the forums here for them, I check reddit's progress pics and loseit subreddits. I check daily.
    - Motivational Outfit - I just got into a shirt and hoodie three sizes smaller than my size when I started. I had bought it originally and hung it on my WALL in my office until I fit it. The good news Is I get to buy another one now.

3. Writing down Goals/Success - breaking my weight loss down into incremental goals helps a lot. In fact just having goals written down in general helps me a lot. I also do a morning todo list for work each day - I now incorporate my fitness/lifestyle todos as well.

Track your success too! MFP is good for that - it will let you track your weight and measurements. Looking at a report that has a steadily falling chart is pretty damn motivating...unless it is your retirement funds. Also - track your non scale victories! Sounds corny I know - but I keep a note in Evernote of my NSVs and they are quite motivating to check out when feeling down.

The above three things have helped me "so far" - and I would rank their personal importance in the same order as above.

Will they be enough to carry me through - I hope so LOL I believe they will tho - maybe that will make all the difference.

Good luck!