salmon

Options
mindy2707
mindy2707 Posts: 3 Member
Can anyone give me a very simple but good salmon recipe? I'm not a fan of fish but need to eat healthier. I am used to cooking good old country meals high in fat and calories. I seriously need help!!!!

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I love salmon and we try to eat fish at least once a week and it's usually salmon. Our 2 favorites are asian salmon and coconut salmon! I can look at home and get the recipes since I don't remember where I got them. I would check out www.bettycrocker.com and www.eatbetteramerica.com for lots of yummy recipes!
  • SamanthaBarber
    SamanthaBarber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells a bag of individual wrapped wild salmon fillets. Throw some lemon pepper seasoning on them, bake for 12 minutes and it's wonderful!
  • ezygmuntowicz
    Options
    I hate salmon but i love it blackened. I use a grill pan (teflon but has ridges that make grill marks) and i use EVOO spray to coat the surface, then i sprinkle my salmon (i buy it at Aldi's or Sam's Club individually wrapped, boneless/skinless) with eith cajun season, or lemon/pepper seasoning and cooki it till its pretty crisp on both sides..when you put your fork in to it..its almost light pink/white when its done. Its crispy on outside and tender in the middle.

I also spray it with spray butter and sprinkle with fresh dill for a different taste.

:) Its up to you if you like spicy or not.

Hope this helps!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    If you like tacos- grill up some salmon (plain) and then shred it into pieces and put it in a wheat tortilla. Add drained black beans, pico, guac, and a small amount of shredded cheddar. YUM!
  • alie0208
    Options
    I cook salmon pretty regularly and I use this seasoning called "Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Salmon Seasoning"...which can be found at most grocery stores. I cook it on the stove...6 minutes on each side at medium heat. I love it!! :)
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    My favorite happens to be the simpliest:

Take a piece of filet, and place it on an aluminium plate. Sprinkle with fresh oregano leaves (or good quality freeze dry one), add a little salt and freshly ground pepper, cover with an aluminium sheet and cook in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes or until it starts smelling.

Note that the skin of the fish will likely stick to the plate unless you add a little oil beforehand but the meat detaches from the skin quite easily when it's cooked.

Add asparagus or brussel sprouts and a nice basmati rice for a quick and yummy dinner.
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I make this about once a week, then use leftovers (I make extra so I'll have some) for lunches during the week. Place foil sheets (I use the precut wrappers) on counter and spray w/ Pam. Place one salmon portion (approx 5 oz) on each sheet. Light salt and generously paprika each side. Top with 1/2 T butter (I use unsalted) and a slice of lemon (1/4"). Wrap and place on cookie sheet under broiler for about 6 minutes. Take out and open pouches, return to broiler for about 4 minutes. Check to see if salmon is done to your liking. Cook a little longer if you like it more well done. This summer, I've also taken to doing them on the grill. We just place the packets on the rack above the grill for about 10 minutes. I serve w/ rice and a veggie. If you like sushi type stuff, I then take the leftover cooked salmon, and make sushi with Nori and sushi rice, a little sesame seed oil and about 2.5 ounces of salmon. Roll up, wrap in damp paper towel for a couple minutes, unwrap and slice. So good.
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you take off the skin and the fat (the part that is brown when cooked) to reduce the calories.

I like eating salmon in a small amount of a homemade teriyaki sauce. It's a little high in salt though. I cook 1-2 fillets in a medium sauce pan with a little olive oil on medium heat. After 2-3 minutes I add my homemade teriyaki (2 T. reduced sodium soy sauce, 1 T sugar or honey and 1 t. fresh garlic & 1 t. ginger). Saute for 2-3 more minutes, the sauce carmelized the outside of the salmon.....so good.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I cook salmon pretty regularly and I use this seasoning called "Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Salmon Seasoning"...which can be found at most grocery stores. I cook it on the stove...6 minutes on each side at medium heat. I love it!! :)

BUY THAT SEASONING!! It tastes good on EVERYTHING!!!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just made 5oz Salmon Fillets for Dinner. I used Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime with a little Olive Oil to help coat evenly. It was tasty and easy to make.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    grill it or poach it i love it both ways
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love it poached or roasted and sometimes flake it into a stir fry .Could eat it anyway at all I love it .
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    yum salmon is my favourite meal... and I used to hate all fish and seafood!

I make it pretty simple so the seasoning doesn't detract from the yummy salmon taste.... I just finely chop garlic and red chilli, sprinkle over the top and add some cracked black pepper and lemon juice... amazing!

I then serve it with new potatoes and salad / vegetables.
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I like eating salmon in a small amount of a homemade teriyaki sauce. It's a little high in salt though. I cook 1-2 fillets in a medium sauce pan with a little olive oil on medium heat. After 2-3 minutes I add my homemade teriyaki (2 T. reduced sodium soy sauce, 1 T sugar or honey and 1 t. fresh garlic & 1 t. ginger). Saute for 2-3 more minutes, the sauce carmelized the outside of the salmon.....so good.

BUMP BUMP BUMP ---> Yummy!! :)
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple. Buy fresh salmon fillets, rinse and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in oven at 450 degrees for about 12-14 minutes. You can add fresh lemon juice both before and after cooking, too.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    great ideas, consider this a bump:tongue:
  • antiadipose
    Options
    BUY MRS DASH SEASONING!!!!! its the best and its SALT FREE!
    i use the lemon garlic herb one on my fish ... tiny bit of chili powders and a dot of olive oil
    rub rub rub

bake/broil/grill

YUM!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    We do a very simple salmon.

I buy frozen fillets.

First I season with garlic salt and then fry in a little olive oil until lightly browned on each side.

Then serve with a cucumber salad garnish. Which is chopped cucumber, basil, a little onion salt, parsley, and some low fat sour cream.

So delish!

Oh I forgot season the salad to your liking and the recipe also includes pepper!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I mix 1T thai chili paste with 4T no-sugar-added teriyaki sauce (I use Clearspring) and marinate the salmon for a bit, then pan fry it and add the rest of the marinade toward the end so it reduces a little and warms through (no oil needed as there's some in the chili paste) and serve it with brown rice sprinkled with a tiny bit of sesame oil and a a few slivered almonds and steamed veg. - we probably eat it like that once a week and my husband doesn't generally like salmon!