Eat how many calories??

Options
ok..I get the whole eat your 1200 calories plus the exercise calories..but thats 1700 calories..ugg.

I am desperate! I am even recording the calories from a piece of gum...it is only 5 calories..but it is 5 less I have to eat!

Does it get easier to eat this much food??

Replies

• Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    ok..I get the whole eat your 1200 calories plus the exercise calories..but thats 1700 calories..ugg.

I am desperate! I am even recording the calories from a piece of gum...it is only 5 calories..but it is 5 less I have to eat!

• teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Try to eat high protien, good fats items like Peanut Butter, Nuts, Avacados. They pack the nutrition, they are whole, heart healthy, and higher in calories with out having to eat a ton.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, typically people are overweight because they eat too many calories so if you feel you're overweight (which is probably why you're on this site) perhaps it is due to something other than exceeding the recommended 2000 calories a day. Maybe you have a thyroid problem??
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    One english muffin, butter and jam is about 400 calories (not that I'm recommending it). But, come on, it's pretty easy to eat 1700 calories. One meal with dessert at a place like Red Robbins can be more than 1700 calories.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    There used to be an older rail thin mucley runner type guy who used to eat at my college cafeteria every day since it was all you could eat for like $5. He ate more in each meal than I swear I ate in a week! You could not even see his tray it was so stacked up with food!! So I think the answer is - yes - you learn to eat whatever your body needs (and in many people's cases - more!)!

I think the key is to find a couple items like nuts / peanut butter that pack away a lot of calories in a little bit of food - if you try to do 1700 on fruit / veggies / yogurt / tuna ... you are right! You will have to eat ALL DAY! That and if you are eating healthy the rest of the day and working out you can slip in that 350 calorie brownie and still lose weight! yummmm.

(That and being sure to snack a lot and not try to eat it at once...)

I am assuming that you are asking - can you eat 1700 healthy calories in a day ... because we ALL know that you can eat WAY more than that in a day via "typical american eating habits"!
  • tlitzner
    tlitzner Posts: 124
    Options
    Yeah, I kinda envy you.......I have a hard time staying within my limit most days. I am super jealous!
  • meme2018
    meme2018 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I always have calories left when I exercise. I workout after dinner and I don't want to eat that late.:drinker: :drinker:
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Options
    ok..yesterday I ate oatmeal for breakfast, half turkey sandwich for lunch, and 16 bean soup with rice for dinner. For snacks I had peanut butter with cool whip, Nutty bar, and a big stick popsicle. I was under on everything..but got to within 9 calories..which is mostly what I am watching. That was all with the added calories of just walking..today I had to add another 300 calories from working out at the gym.

I'm not hungry but find myself freaking out at 6pm cause I still have 600 calories to eat before bed..
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    One english muffin, butter and jam is about 400 calories (not that I'm recommending it). But, come on, it's pretty easy to eat 1700 calories. One meal with dessert at a place like Red Robbins can be more than 1700 calories.

i agree it is "easy" to eat 1700 calories.. however. because everyone on this site is in the process of making a lifestyle change, i can personally say i do not eat that processed, bad for you, fast food kind of food.

soooo, with living on fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and the occasional treat... it is kind of difficult.
  • jtod
    jtod Posts: 19
    Options
    Maybe on the days you go to the gym you could have a full turkey sandwich for lunch instead of a half??

Also, I reccomend upping the snack intake, or possibly treating yourself with a healthy desert, doesn't sound like you ate much fruit, bananas are great for you and they contain something like 70-80 calories
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Options
    I could do 2 halves of a turkey sandwich..different times of the day.

I am working on more veggies. Fruits and I don't get along to well.

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Try eating a bigger breakfast, too. Breakfast should really be your biggest meal of the day.

I know--most people don't like eating big breakfasts but they are vital! Gives you energy to get through the day, etc. A big breakfast, a medium size lunch, and a small to medium size dinner would really be ideal with snacks in between. Oatmeal for breakfast isn't really enough. Sorry.

Also, I plan my meals and exercise first thing each day. Try doing that, so you see what you're going to burn and what you need to eat when.

You've got to get in your calories though or you'll sabotage your weight loss effort and not give your body what it needs to continue to function.

Oh, and 1200 calories might be too little for you. That's a level that only a few people should get to--those who have a lot to lose. Most need to do 1400 or higher and aim for a slower level of weight loss. I know you probably didn't want to hear that! Sorry.