Getting started

Options
OK, so I've taken the first step, as they say, and admitted to myself that I really need to change something otherwise I'm going to get into a serious mess. So I've been to a gym for a taster session and really like the feel of the place and have paid up for a full years membership (if I see a monthly charge going out then I am more likely to cancel it).

I'm planning on booking a session with a personal trainer to get some idea of what I should be doing but first I want to settle in properly. I have tried gyms before but I've always got bored so quickly, my last gym was a community one with only 4 of each machine so they limited workout time to 15mins on any given machine during busy times. This meant I felt like I was just running (or hobbling) from one thing to another.

I am planning on just starting out gently with some power walking before joining some classes and increasing intensity as things move on (I can run for a bus if I have to but it takes a very long time for my heart rate to calm down and I end up panting terribly to catch my breath)

Does anyone have any tips on how to go from zero exercise (I have a desk job and the only exercise I get is walking to the bus stop) to gym work?

Replies

• Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You could try Couch to 5K (C25K), which is a popular method designed to get you from a state of rest (little to no exercise) to being able to at least run 5K non-stop (about 3.1 miles) over a gradual 9 weeks. Even if you don't plan on using running as your main form of exercise, it'll still be helpful to build up your endurance, cardio, lungs, etc. so that you can transition to other stuff more easily.
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    increase SLOWLY! dont jump head first into intense excercise. firstly, you could injure yourself,feel demotivated as you cannot do what you set out to do, or plainly feel so exausted you wont be able to carry on.

speaking from personnel experience, ive been a current gym user for just over 3 months now, and ive only JUST started running. and even thats 6 mins run, 4 mins walk x2 for a grand total of 20 MINS!!!! i phisically could not run with it hurting 20 seconds in.

i started out on the recombant bikes, slowly increasing the time and intensity from 15 mins up to 30, then added in cross trainer, again, slowly increasing from 5 mins up to 25-30 mins.

ive now cut down to about 10-15 mins warmup on the bike, 20 mins run/walk on treadmill and a 10 min cooldown on the cross trainer. i will (hopefully) be able to start cutting down the walking and get up to the full 20 mins running! once i can do that, will start trying to go longer.

TL;DR

start out small and slowly increase excercise
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Definitely book a session or two with a trainer. They can help you set goals and from there develop a plan for what you can be doing in the gym to make the most of your time.

If classes are included with your membership, then that's a great way to get started. The receptionist/staff at the gym can tell you which are designed for beginners, and that will help you. Personally, I'm not a class person, so don't worry if you're not too. There are a number of introverted people out there who really prefer to exercise solo, and that's okay!

Other than that, if you're really new to exercise, pick a machine, and aim to stay on it for 30 minutes. Take it slow at first so you learn the pace that works for you (I'm the queen of picking a new machine, going too hard, and then dying for the last 10 mins of a 30 min session!). If you are new to strength training, I really recommend a session with a trainer so they can show you how to use equipment without injury and they can look at your form.

Have fun!
  • helenme28
    helenme28 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you all,

I have always been a bit of a 'bull in a china shop' with new things. I throw myself at something and if it doesn't work first time or something goes wrong I get set back so far! I guess the trick is going to be remembering that I don't have to be able to run miles from the work go!

I'll get that personal trainer session booked as soon as. I think I get one "free" session every 6 weeks included in my membership.