OMG how nauseating!

Options
MzBug
MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
I just opened a new bag of salad greens with a date of 8/6. It looked ok from the outside, no excess moisture in the bag. The stench that rolled out of the bag when I opened it... Gahh! Smelled like nasty nasty feet! Funny thing, not hungry now.

Replies

• jenn559
    jenn559 Posts: 11
    Options
    haha, no eating it now! :sad:
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    YUCK!:sick: I hate when my produce goes bad especially BEFORE it's use by date!!!
  • jrsmithne
    jrsmithne Posts: 124
    Options
    ugh!! Salad has one of the worst smells when it goes bad too!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Reason 1,000,001 to chop your own greens. The chemicals they use to wash the greens and then preservatives are gross to begin with.
  • raniro
    raniro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your wasted money and experience on that salad. I've noticed that often with 'mixed' salads. I've also noticed if I purchase lettuce, spinach, and other salad fixings separately they stink and rot faster if I store them in the same plastic container after rinsing. To keep veggies more fresh, wash in ice cold water with a splash of vinegar (you won't taste it-I promise). Rinse with clear water and pat dry. Then store separately. The different gasses emitted from say lettuce and spinache cause each other to rot faster than if they are stored separately. A little box of baking soda in the fridge seems to help also with those gasses. Best of luck going forward!:flowerforyou: