Best workout DVD?

Options
yaseyuku
yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
I'm a beginner to exercise (I walk quite a lot but have never done much else besides that) and would like to ease into it a bit before finally joining a gym when I move this summer.

I'm looking for something that is beginner friendly, doesn't require equipment, and isn't too much of a chore. I see so many great stories on here about working out and exercising and would really like to start, but it's hard to bring myself to enjoy it. Something that's both enjoyable and beginner friendly but also a good workout would be a plus.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I only have the 30 Day Shred DVD but found it really good. You need small weights but can also use water bottles for that. There are several levels and even though the first is really hard, you can follow the instructions easily, even as a beginner. :)
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I only have the 30 Day Shred DVD but found it really good. You need small weights but can also use water bottles for that. There are several levels and even though the first is really hard, you can follow the instructions easily, even as a beginner. :)

You can also start with out weight to get the moves down. This is also a short workout so it is easer to stick to as a beginner. Truly you may need to try a few styles of DVD's to find one you enjoy. Have fun hunting!
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Go to Collage Video's website - you can search for videos by level and all sorts of things. Collage provides great descriptions of each video. Also, customers post reviews of videos so you can get an idea of how people like them.
  • yaseyuku
    Options

You can also start with out weight to get the moves down. This is also a short workout so it is easer to stick to as a beginner. Truly you may need to try a few styles of DVD's to find one you enjoy. Have fun hunting!

Will I still see results even doing it without the weights?
  • jazpurita
    jazpurita Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The 30DS is also on YouTube so you can actually check it out
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8
    I did it and lost about 8 pounds and inches all around its a great DVD and you can buy it off amazon for about 8$ but check out the YouTube clip I started the first 5 days no weighs because I didn't have any but it started to get to easy so I went and bought some

I hope you try it and enjoy it because its a great workout on days I'm pushed for time I knock out this DVD since its only 25 mins long
  • yaseyuku
    Options
    The reason I don't want to invest in weights is because I'm moving across the world relatively soon. But I don't want to hold off on starting some form of exercise either. I'll look into the suggestion of water bottles as well.
  • Need2lose456
    Need2lose456 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't want to invest in weights is because I'm moving across the world relatively soon. But I don't want to hold off on starting some form of exercise either. I'll look into the suggestion of water bottles as well.

You can even try tinned beans as weights!
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like Chris Freytag's videos. I buy them from Amazon or ebay. Her prevention get moving video is the first one I did when losing weight.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    Using water bottles works great, also canned food...Or really, just buy yourself a pair of 3s. They won't be hard to move with you.
  • Mrsmorman
    Mrsmorman Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Will I still see results even doing it without the weights?

Yes, you will still see results without the weights. Just moving more will give you results but you will want to add weight when the workouts get easier and they are necessary for toning as you lose but you can get those after you move. Also I started with Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds. She has a lot of dvd's and she is very upbeat and motivating. Check out clips of her videos on collagevideo.com or youtube for clips and some full length workouts. Also youtube has lots of workouts, just search for beginner workouts, great channels like fitnessblender, befit etc.
  • suzbaru
    suzbaru Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Places to get them.

Rent them at the library - Free!
    Youtube - Free
    Fitness channels through cable - Not really free (it's already part of your cable bill)
    Garage sales, Craigslist - .50 to $1

I currently have:

Billy Blanks Tae Bo - 65 mins (946 calorie for me). There is some "breaking the glass wall" and motivating you personally but it's not too annoying.

Billy's Boot Camp - Uses resistance bands. It has been ok.

Sparkpeople 28 day bootcamp. You will need weights. They have 12, 20, 30 min workouts so it's not bad to change it up. They also use levels which is nice.

28 days of yoga/pilates - You'll need a exercise ball. I love this one but it's sssooo slow. I really need to use it more to find my zen. I've become addicted to high energy workouts.

Next rental period I'm planning on 30 shred and maybe some insanity types.

Sorry I don't have more suggestions.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

You don't use heavy weights for this video. 3 lb or 5 lb will be perfect. 3 lb weights are about $4 a piece, if even that.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I would say any of the Billy Blanks JR workouts are super fun they are a really good workout but are fun enough to do that it doesn't seem that bad especially the Dance Party Bootcamp one is really fun and gives you a good overall workout. Kettlenetics is good because when you order that it comes with the beginner kettlebell and she is good at explaining that one really well.Kettlebells seems to really help with the lower ab area thats hard to get off. you can always increase the weight of the kettlebells with that one if it gets too light for you but it comes with the beginner kettlebell so that is a good value right there for that one. depends on what you like if you like more weights, or more aerobic,or more dance. If you are already a good dancer Madonna Grimes has some super awesome ones.Madonna grimes also has a really good ab one its too new to be on amazon yet but on her personal website its called Sexy Fit Abs...one of the best Ab ones I have tried yet. If you wanna start a good total body weight one Crunch Total Resculpt with Kendall Hogan is good, then if you get comfortable with weights then you can try something harder like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred or Jari Love any of hers are great workouts. I would just find whatever is the most fun to start and then when you get comfortable with that then try something harder. I know the Billy Blanks Jr ones though are very fun. He has a very upbeat positive type personality and cracks you up while you are sweating too sometimes. You can watch the trailers for them on you tube and then see which one you might like the most. I like the Dance Party Bootcamp one of his cuz I feel I get a really good overall workout with that one.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options

You don't use heavy weights for this video. 3 lb or 5 lb will be perfect. 3 lb weights are about $4 a piece, if even that.

I agree I have some small little hand weights and while they'll make your box a bit heavier they aren't hard to pack at all, and that's all you are going to need really for any work out. Besides that you can always start out without weights and then when you get all settled and moved in go ahead and get some.
  • JAEGAmom
    JAEGAmom Posts: 39
    Options
    I like to start with something enjoyable. If it's not enjoyable, I won't continue with it! And, I like something that my kids can do with me and have fun! Right now, I am liking Hip Hop Abs... My daughter loves to do it with me and it doesn't take much time! It is more like dancing than working out! That is always a plus!!! Hope you find something that works for you! If you do, please share!
  • Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd week of rockin body and I love it....the hardest part is getting myself motivated!!, ARGH!!,
    But once I get started I love it!!, no weights as of yet, but one heck of a workout....Checked it out on you tube first
    and saw that it was just what I wanted....

Good luck...just start moving, it's worth it.
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My first work out was Just Dance 2 and 3 on the Wii. It was fun and burned calories. My favorite is Turbo Jam, you can check that out at beachbody.com. It's more kickboxing and punching but it's an excellent calorie burner. 30 day shred is what I'm doing now, not so much on the fun side but a good work out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Go to Collage Video's website - you can search for videos by level and all sorts of things. Collage provides great descriptions of each video. Also, customers post reviews of videos so you can get an idea of how people like them.

This!^

This site will tell you if equipment is required or not. Video clips are so helpful.

Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 Minutes to Fitness Body Training does not require equipment. It's rated intermediate/advance but here is a modifier throughout ..... so you can make the moves easier and build up. There are 2 workouts & several premixes to keep it fresh.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/kelly-coffeys-30-min-to-fitness-body-training-5756
  • megbee617
    megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the Biggest Loset Cardio Max DVD. Basic level is 5 min warm up, 20 min workout, 5 min cool down. Levels 2 and 3 add an additional 10 mins workout each. I like it because it I exert myself enough, it's a good workout in a short period of time. I like it for the days I don't have alot of time (wait, that's everyday!) but still want to get some exercise in.

http://www.target.com/p/the-biggest-loser-workout-cardio-max/-/A-11366069