100 calorie snacks that actually keep you full for hours?

Options

Replies

• ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Concur!
    I love 100 calorie popcorn bags.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Eat real food. All this Kashi/Slimfast/Kind bar business had me hungry all the time before, which is why I weighed 50 pounds more. Real fruit and veggies, hummus, nuts, are a great filling snack.

Keep the yolks in and I guarantee you'll feel fuller longer. Fat keeps you satisfied, people. A bit of avocado or almonds goes a long way.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 whole eggs and 2 slices of bacon for breakfast and it keeps me going until lunchtime at only around 270 cals. If I throw in a protein shake or banana smoothie, it keeps me going even longer. I personally don't eat cereal because it does not fill me up AT ALL.

I would look at getting more protein in the morning, and switching to whole eggs unless you have a health problem that prevents you from doing so.
  • CamrynFox
    CamrynFox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Progresso has 'light' soups and if you have an entire can, it's only about 140-170 calories, depending on which flavor you get. Might be a good 11am meal.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "hours" but I like Ostrim Beef & Ostrich sticks to help with hunger. They have 15g of protein and only 80 calories.
  • betsym3
    betsym3 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Whether it's 100 calories of celery or 100 calories of ice cream, I can't possibly see how any option would keep you "full" for hours.

You could eat more in the morning, or if you are hungry mid-day, eat a proper lunch and deal with the brushing.

I recently went to the doctors and he diagnosed me (again) with obesity. He asked me what I snacked on or liked to eat. I said peanut butter and crackers, cookies, basically any junk food around the house. He told me to rid myself of crackers (which are only cookies but in a different box) and cookies. He told me to eat hummus and celery for a snack. I can eat two stalks of celery and 1 tablespoon of hummus in each stalk for under 100 calories.

I agree that it wouldn't fill me up for 4 hours, but with all the chewing and the delicious hummus that it is a pretty satisfying snack for so few calories. I measure the hummus with a measuring spoon and it works out well for me so far. My favorite hummus flavors are Cedar's roasted red pepper and Cedar's spinach & artichoke. So you can eat 100 calories and be fairly satisfied between meals!

The celery does get caught in my teeth though! lol
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    hardboiled egg? a little chicken breast? It would have to be hard-core protein to have any chance to keep you full for more than 90 minutes
  • shalysewrightbethea
    shalysewrightbethea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I take fruit, granola, yogurt, healthy trail mix and water in different variations every day and eat when I hungry. I drink water to try to keep it at bay if I now I ate not long ago
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A few things that work for me: Somewhat higher in calories, but then you could have a lighter lunch: yogurt with nuts - about 200 calories and very filling. apples, bananas, too make them more filling, but then that ups the calories count - spread on a tablespoon of peanut butter.

I agree with stay away from the "health food" bars - a very few are good, a few are okay, and a lot of them are cleverly disguised close to junk food.
  • lilandDame143
    Options
    :smile:
    How do you make sunny side up eggs without the yolks? Isn't that taking away the sun?

I was thinking the same thing. But I agree with alot of posts about apples they are really filling
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    don't know how long it will work for, but will be easy to clean your teeth after. :) chobani greek yogurt tubes - 70 calories.

these are made for kids, so they are not fat-free (which is good). they will give you some good fats and protein. you can also freeze them if you want more of an ice pop (or make them slower to eat). they come in strawberry, cherry, and blueberry. be sure to print a coupon from their website.

if you want more than 100 calories and something like desert, try a fiber one brownie (90 cal) along with the yogurt (70+90=160).
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Like others, eat more in the morning, try liquid egg whites- protein will keep you full longer than lots of carbs. I eat 3/4 cup of egg whites every morning at around 8am (I usually add a little cheese, salsa, or spinach & mushrooms...), and am just starting to get hungry again at noon, which eliminates the need for a morning snack.

If I do get hungry though, I eat a spoonful of almond butter, which does the trick! You could also smear it on carrots, celery, or an apple.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Drink a protein shake.

Although I'm confused about your eggs being "sunny side up" when you're not eating the yolks?
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I disagree about whole eggs SOME people (myself included) are not great and ok with eggs. started eating whole eggs from advice on MFP my cholesterol shot up 90 pts. my cardiologist told me stop the whole eggs. I did so and numbers back down 3 months later. Whole eggs all of the time can be ok for some, with others too many can affect lipids so be aware.

If you have cholesterol issues, then yes, avoid the yolks. If you don't have issues with that, whole eggs are good for you...
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    FAGE 0% YOGURT is 100 calories (170 g container-Plain). It is high in protein and keeps you full for hours.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    How can it be sunny side up if it's whites only?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Drink an ounce of heavy cream.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a shake for breakfast around 9am and a small lunch at 11:30am, so I have a snack around 2:30 which is around 115 calories -- a medium carrot, a celery stalk and 1/3 cup of 2% cottage cheese with a few chopped strawberries and 1/3 cup chopped pineapple -- that keeps me satisfied until dinner at 5:30pm.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A protein shake can usually hold me over pretty well. My current recipe: 1 cup frozen fruit, 1 cup spinach, liquid stevia, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt & a squeeze of lemon. This is about 110 calories & 7g protein depending on the type of fruit you use..you can increase the yogurt (or use protein powder) if you want additional protein!
  • millery2
    millery2 Posts: 13
    Options
    I buy a bread by Julian Bakery. I like the sourdough best or the cinnamon raisin. I find it in the frozen food section usually the healthy food part of store. Its only 60 calories with lots of fiber and protein. I eat 1 to 2 slices w/ a lil sugar free jelly for a really early breakfast about 530 AM and I am good to go for 3 to 4 hours.