How My Life Has Changed Losing 185 Pounds

Options
shrinkingbrian
shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
I want to share how my life has changed in losing over 185 pounds. I have also lost 25 inches in my waist (from 66 inches to 41 inches measured at my navel). But those are just numbers and don't compare to how my life has changed for the better. I don't avoid mirrors anymore. I can sit in normal chairs with arms. I can tie my shoes after putting them on. I can cross my legs. I don't feel like I'm going to die young. I don't breathe heavy after walking up a flight of stairs. I can actually see my feet while standing. I can sit in my car comfortably. I don't have a double chin anymore. I don't fear booths at restaurants or breaking chars. I'm no longer the biggest person in the room. I feel good about myself. I feel better in every aspect of my life.

Now that my health is good, my wife and I have decided to try to have another baby. For years, I didn't want to have more children in part because I was afraid of dying young and felt like I was a bad father and having more children would be just too hard. But now that my health is good, we really feel like we want to try to have another child or maybe 2 more. I'm 38 and my wife is 30. We have two boys ages 8 and 6 and realize there will be an age gap but it's something we both really want. My wife has also started to exercise more and we are even exercising together playing tennis and going out for walks.

Last week, I went out mountain biking with a buddy of mine. The trail was about 8 miles total (4 miles out and back) with an elevation gain of around 1,000 feet. There is no way I could do that trail before when I was over 400 pounds. I would have probably broken the bike. It feels great to go mountain biking and be more active. I was still a little slower than my friend and it was only my second time mountain biking. I borrowed my friend's extra bike but I'm thinking about buying my own mountain bike.

We went out for a family walk last night at the park. There is a pretty steep hill on the walking path around the park and I gave my six year old little boy (who weighs about 55 pounds) a piggy back ride. We also did a sprint race. It feels good to be able to give him a piggy back ride and go running with my little boy. I couldn't do those little things when I was morbidly obese. This is the same little boy who told me 16 months ago "Dad, you're too fat!" that was one of my main motivations in losing weight. Now, he says "Dad, do you want to race?" I haven't seen or told my parents about my weight loss. I plan to see them this summer with my big weight loss change. One friend from church who I haven't seen in a few months even joked "And you are . . .?" implying that I now look like a totally different person. My father in law even commented that I'm now a "health nut." I'm just trying to live healthy and live life to its fullest. I still have about another 20 pounds that I want to lose but my life is forever changed.

I hope that I can inspire and motivate others to also live healthier.

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You have a real incredible story. Congratulations on a great job. You have worked hard and the results are your proof!!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I can sit in normal chairs with arms. I can tie my shoes after putting them on. I can cross my legs. I don't feel like I'm going to die young. I don't breathe heavy after walking up a flight of stairs. I can actually see my feet while standing. I can sit in my car comfortably. I don't have a double chin anymore. I don't fear booths at restaurants or breaking chars. I'm no longer the biggest person in the room. I feel good about myself. I feel better in every aspect of my life.

That is awesome!
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    absolutely great post!!!!! I can relate to everything you have said. Congratulations on your accomplishment and keep going. You're an inspiration and motivation to a lot of people here on MFP!!!!!
  • Touchdown73
    Touchdown73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great job! Very inspiring!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Your family is lucky to have you, and because of your hard work, they'll have you for a much longer time.

Thank you for posting.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    :cry: That's awesome man!
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Awesome man, you are an inspiration to me!!!

Rock out that Superman shirt!!!
  • sashawn1
    sashawn1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Your story was Amazing.....I'm sooo happy for you......Great Job..
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Nice! Photos!
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yours may be my all time favorite success story. Great job, you are an inspiration. And best of all, you are an example to your kids, that you can change bad habits, that determination is all in your head. So excited for your future.
  • john0804
    john0804 Posts: 31
    Options
    That is incredible and I wish you luck with your last 20lbs I hope you realise what an inspiration these stories are because you've put it in real terms, it's not about numbers it's about quality of life and I hope that you now have a long life with your kids and good luck to you and your wife :)
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your positive comments. It's been a difficult journey so far but so worth it. I'm working on a video that I plan to post to YouTube. I took monthly self pics to show my progress that I plan to turn into a slideshow with music. My boys were my main source of inspiration.
  • hunterman95
    hunterman95 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! You are an inspiration. Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!