Would you date someone considerably more intelligent?

Options

Replies

• teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If we can still understand what each other says then yes. If they are so smart that I cannot understand what they are talking about or trying to tell me then no. If they cannot understand what I am saying to them because I am not as intelligent as them so I cannot use the big words they hear a lot then no. I like to talk and listen, if we cannot have a lot of long conversations then no.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Depends. I like to be the smart one, or at least on an equal level, but I wouldn't mind dating someone who was smarter than me. I think my current boyfriend actually is. It would depend on if he was condescending or a jerk about it. If not, of course I would.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NO IT WOULD BE TRY ING TO PROV E EACH OTHER WRONG ALL THE TIME
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I so would. I want someone who doesn't think nepotism is a dirty word.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't treat me like an idiot and talk down to me, then yes. Oh and as long as there is at least one thing I know more about than him lol.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes. Intelligence is extremely sexy!
  • FeelGoodNow13
    FeelGoodNow13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally would, I love beginning around intelligent people, makes for great conversation. All my friends are extremely smart and either in professional school or grad school. I lose interest quickly when talking to dumb guys or just people in general, its very unattractive. Problem for me I'm surrounded by smart men and most of them are taken or gay, AH!
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    I believe people are intelligent in different ways.

I am with someone who knows A LOT more about certain things then I do and when he talks about them it's like :noway:

But there are also things that I know about where he does the same thing.

I think a balance would be the way to make it work.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    definitely! It's so refreshing to talk to someone who enlightens you! the catch is for them to be humble and not arrogant. intellegent and humble, yes. intellegent and arrogant, no.
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Intelligent has been my only "type"; I've dated or been attracted to every other physical description. Good packaging helps, but give me a smart man and my heart beats faster and my libido raises!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nearly did [marry] 2 chaps - one MBA, two Surgeon! Me just BA (Hons), MSc, PGCE and turned down PhD purely because I needed to earn some money!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    No, they would be smart to the point of being (more) psychotic.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nearly did [marry] 2 chaps - one MBA, two Surgeon! Me just BA (Hons), MSc, PGCE and turned down PhD purely because I needed to earn some money!
    P.S. They both turned out to be b******ds!!!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If they weren't pompous *kitten* and didn't have an elevated ego because of their superior intellect, then yes.
  • chocoholicpb2
    Options
    I'd love to date someone considerable more intelligent than me :)
    that being said, some of my least favorite people are those who think they're more intelligent than everyone else but are actually average at best.
    I love people who are smart but don't look it
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I was considerably more intelligent than my ex.. we all see where that ended up
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What would fill the `intelligence` criteria?

How do you know if someone is more intelligent than yourself?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    It's all subjective.
    Define "considerably".
    Define "intelligent".
    I know a lot more about nursing than my husband and he knows more about his profession than I do.
    Does that make either of us more intelligent than the other or just more knowledgeable?
    Is there a difference between the two?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    smart-chick_o_284192.jpg
  • fpuckett2383
    fpuckett2383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think my husband and I have different strengths, but overall I think he's a smarter person than I am. I'm okay with that. He never treats me like I'm stupid and has a great deal of respect for me. I certainly don't think I'm dumb as a box of hair or anything, but he can grasp things much faster than I can and has a greater understanding of more logical things.