Would you date someone considerably more intelligent?

Options

Replies

• shalysewrightbethea
    shalysewrightbethea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes. I like learning and I find it very sexy when someone is able to show me something I don't know and probably never would have known.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Not possible. Wait. What?
    That's what I was thinking about myself. :laugh:

Seriously, emotional maturity and self-awareness matter more to me than intelligence. Low intelligence has always guaranteed their absence for me. But high intelligence, unfortunately, doesn't guarantee their presence.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

Seriously, emotional maturity and self-awareness matter more to me than intelligence. Low intelligence has always guaranteed their absence for me. But high intelligence, unfortunately, doesn't guarantee their presence.

I'm fully aware that I purposely act childishly...does that count?
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Most likely! :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know when it happens.
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep wouldn't (and didn't) hesitate too .. intelligence AND humor are a far more sexy combination to me than the physical form which (as us older folks know) shifts and declines with age even in the most active.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Only if they were applying that vast intellect. I wouldn't want to date the genius that plays games in his parent's basement all day long and refuses to get a job because they are all beneath him .
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    impossible.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

I'm fully aware that I purposely act childishly...does that count?
    I act childishly too. That's not emotional maturity/immaturity, though. :) You're ok...for now.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    There is far more to "intelligence" than standard book smarts. There are multiple intelligences: linguistic, kinesthetic, verbal, musical, etc. I've met people who are geniuses at designing things out of thin air, but can't tell me HOW they did it without stumbling and stuttering through an explanation. They also can't write any of the steps out, because it all came together in their heads.

I know people who are book smart and street stupid. They might be able to calculate and resolve difficult mathematical formulas, but they can't remember to zip their flies, or they don't understand social boundaries and pragmatics at all.

I have a very high verbal and linguistic intelligence. But, I cannot do algebraic equations to save my life. Does this make me less intelligent? Nope. It just makes me better in certain things than others.

So, I tend to shy away from the whole "What's your IQ?" theory and lean more towards "everyone has talents, it's up to us to find them in ourselves and use them."

BTW, being a teacher with students who have ASD or learning issues has taught me the value and importance of looking at each child's special gift and contribution. One of my students is very perceptive and can verbally answer high order questions, but he can't write out his name legibly because he has difficulty with handwriting.

Intelligence is a subjective term used to describe many facets of a person's abilities.

BUT STUPIDITY KNOWS NO BOUNDS.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Only to a certain degree. I hate being condescended to. It's rude.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I did, and I married him. :wink:
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My mans an electrical engineer......so yeah
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    more intelligent...yes; significantly more intelligent...I don't think so. I guess it would depend on what that meant...if they were like genius level intelligence, no way...I'd never be able to keep up and I'm sure they wouldn't find me to be all that intellectually stimulating either.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If they weren't pompous *kitten* and didn't have an elevated ego because of their superior intellect, then yes.

I'm sorry I cant help it all the peons make me laugh...mwhahahahahaha!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Even if they aren't more intelligent, you always make them feel like they are! ;)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Condescension is subjective, in my opinion. I think we ALL have contributions to make. It isn't so much what you have to contribute, as how it is conveyed. For example, my dad would beat his fists on the kitchen table while trying to help me with my algebra homework, chanting "WHY DON'T YOU GET THIS???? IT IS SOOOO EASY!" My college professor, God bless him, would take one look at my work, and ask "Tell me where you got lost, so I can lead you through it".

Two different approaches to teaching new skills and information. One caused anxiety, the other cured it.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Condescension is subjective, in my opinion. I think we ALL have contributions to make. It isn't so much what you have to contribute, as how it is conveyed. For example, my dad would beat his fists on the kitchen table while trying to help me with my algebra homework, chanting "WHY DON'T YOU GET THIS???? IT IS SOOOO EASY!" My college professor, God bless him, would take one look at my work, and ask "Tell me where you got lost, so I can lead you through it".

Two different approaches to teaching new skills and information. One caused anxiety, the other cured it.

Well the first response is condescending, the other really isn't.