Why did you start?

Options
We are all on here for a reason, right? So what made you want to get on a journey to fit?

Replies

• genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    Being intensely uncomfortable in my own skin, feeling weird and unattractive during sex, my bathing suit fitting like a sausage casing, being unable to do anything remotely athletic, including walking the dogs at a moderate pace, without that winded/lightheaded feeling.

I've always been chunky, but two years of unemployment and low activity pushed me past cute plumpness and into obesity. My girlfriend helped me get started because I was kind of pathetically unsure of how to even begin, and now I don't want to stop!
  • redhead_k073
    redhead_k073 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So I could stop shopping at stores that sell old lady clothes and start shopping at stores that sell trendy age appropriate clothing, so I could tie my shoes without being uncomfortable, so I can one day have a baby.
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Because I'm tired of being fat.

I gained weight over three pregnancies and have never lost the last big chunk of weight.

I started on this "fit path" about four years ago when I joined a gym for the first time in almost 20 years. I work out hard (or so I think) but I didn't really modify my diet, other than eating healthier food...just massive quantities of it. :wink: I have put on a great deal of muscle mass but it is all covered in a thick layer of fat...so...logical conclusion: lose my fat = see my muscles! :bigsmile:
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I wanna look good in a speedo!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Tired of being FAT
    Lots of health issues
    Bad family health history
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be dead in 10 years. I mean, there may be a bus that puts me in its sights tomorrow, but I don't want my own poor food/exercise decisions to prematurely put me in the grave. Not when there's so much cool stuff going on.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    100% honest here - my job allowed it as an approved website to use while on the clock - and I work at an answering service and it can get boring, so I started tinkering around with it.
    Glad I did though - loving the place! :)
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Because I'm sick of being fat. I hate the struggle I endure bending down to tie my shoes. I hate that I wore sweatpants and a long sleever on the beach in mid July because I didn't want people 'knowing' I am fat. My dad has diabetes and high cholesterol even though he's NOT overweight in the slightest - I didn't want to up my chances. I hate not being able to wear sleeveless tops because my upper arms are huge. I told myself 'enough is enough' at 180 lbs. Then again at 200. Again at 220. And my final straw was when I saw 250 between my feet. I've done to about 230 now and still chugging. It's hard but the best thing for me.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I started because my thighs rubbed together so much it wore holes in my fat jeans. How much more clear does a sign get, right?
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wanna look good in a speedo!

Nobody looks good in a speedo. Creepy maybe...good, no. :tongue:
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Diabtes scare with some blood work I had done; follow up fasting glucose test put me in the pre-diabetic range. Fast forward six months, to April, I had lost almost 40lbs and had a new fasting glucose number of 89 :) I lost one grandfather to type 2 diabetes and decided now was the time to change the course of where I was heading.
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Years ago ...maybe 6 my husband told me he found me sexy, hot, etc.... but he was worried about my health. I was a size 22/24. He asked me to get healthier to be around for him and our girls for a long time. It really struck me. I thought on it a while and realized he was right. I've been working on it ever since.
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I started because my thighs rubbed together so much it wore holes in my fat jeans. How much more clear does a sign get, right?

Gosh I remember that. So embarrassing.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I want to be a fit mom!
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This sounds silly, but even a diagnosis of PCOS/insulin resistance didn't jump start things in a healthy way. It took seeing pictures of myself at this weight. It's gotten BAD. YIKES!
  • bioniccheese
    Options
    Started walking again after 7 months of being unable. Felt it was time to get back into the shape I was before.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Also... not being able to zip up designer clothes, ripping a pair of jeans in the crotch, confusing my husband's jeans with my own until figuring out that they were too long to be mine...
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I hate my body!!! I'm was always tired and felt horrible...I was depressed and would almost cry every time I got dressed...I had people say mean things to me too..plus I want my husband to be in aww of my body!!! (Even though he tells me he loves my body I want him to love It more!!)..oh and I was worried about getting diabetes!!...pretty much reached my breaking point and wanted a change!!
  • kbornman21
    kbornman21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That's EXACTLY the reason I began to lose weight is because my doctor told me that there was a chance I would never have kids because of possible PCOS.
    This sounds silly, but even a diagnosis of PCOS/insulin resistance didn't jump start things in a healthy way. It took seeing pictures of myself at this weight. It's gotten BAD. YIKES!
  • BernardPumpkin
    Options
    cuz of my butt an stomach ):