Planet Fitness 30 min circuit training

Options
Does anyone know appox how many calories you burn doing the 30 min circuit traning at planet fitness????

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    nope, but it's mostly strength training, so not a lot. btw, what are the steps for?? i've tried the circuit once before, but i couldn't figure out anything to do with the steps that really got my heart rate up--they're barely 2 inches high and you can't stack them!
  • stephs491
    stephs491 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well you look fit in your picture so it probably wouldnt be that much of a workout for you...lol I'm new to the whole gym thing and still weigh 175 so it still felt like a pretty good work out to me...I'm not sure the steps I guess just doing as many reps as you can before switching to a different machine...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    nope, but it's mostly strength training, so not a lot. btw, what are the steps for?? i've tried the circuit once before, but i couldn't figure out anything to do with the steps that really got my heart rate up--they're barely 2 inches high and you can't stack them!

Plyo, stepping, kicks, a ton of high intensity things. I lost quite a bit of weight that way combined with healthy eating, using PF's 30 minute circuit training center.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    You can do a few different things on the steps. I used to do straight steps on the first one. Step up, touch elbow to opposite knee on next step. Step up bring leg up to but on 3rd. I crossed sideways over the 4th circling my arms. Lunges on the next. Squats and then toe ups. Last one I used to stretch out my calves. I am sure there are other things you can do. I found the 30 minute great for me when I first started. It helped build my strength and it was short enough that I would come back even if I didn't want to.

Now at Bally's I try to do the same weight circuit, but it is harder since many people are using the machines. When I wore my pulse monitor it said I burned about 250 in 30minutes. My weight was about 260 at the time. I think it depends on how hard you work out and your weight.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    When I used to do this circuit I would burn about 250-300 calories if I did the step up and raised my knee on each one really fast. I was about 150lbs and just under 5 foot and 30 years old if that helps at all.

It is a good workout for beginners. I have since moved over to the free weights and another Gym.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I log it as 15 min cardio step aerobics and 15 min Calisthenics. I'm 178-180 lbs and the step aerobics seems to do well for me as far as getting my HR up. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I skip the machines and do only step aerobics .
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    you must never have done the circuit while seasoned stairsteppers are on it! of course you could get a better workout if you could stack them but you can bump your heartrate pretty good if you put effort into using the steps. I've been there a few times where women who have obviously taken step classes use them and they practically dance on the steps.

as to the question, I track it under either "curves circuit training" or "circuit training general" depending on how much effort I put into the steps. the curves one is much less (for me 173 cals in 30 mins vs 283 for the general) so on the days when I'm phoning in my workout and know I'm not boosting my heartrate much I know I'm not over counting, but on the days when I really give it my all I use the higher count.
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    Options
    I sometimes put in 125 calories depending on how hard I push myself on the step boxes. Combined, the steps add up to about 15 minutes of Step aerobics - low impact type cardio. And I read somewhere that lifting weights burns about 8 calories per minute, so you can probably add about 120 for that. I usually don't count it though since MFP doesn't seem to.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know appox how many calories you burn doing the 30 min circuit traning at planet fitness????

I did a 30 minute circuit training workout at Curves, and ran in place in between. I generally burned about 300 calories +/-, depending on the day. I weighed about the same as you when I stared. Check your heartrate several times and make sure you are at target, and that will help.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree with several of the other posters. You should really use the steps to get and keep your heart rate up. If you can't run in place, you can do high knees or get your arms involved to get a better cardio workout.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    look at all you, so clever with the steps!! i guess i need to be more creative. :) and thanks for the compliment! i tried the whole circuit once, but generally i stick to doing my own thing.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're not using the steps then you might as well just be out using the machines on the regular gym floor.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I sometimes put in 125 calories depending on how hard I push myself on the step boxes. Combined, the steps add up to about 15 minutes of Step aerobics - low impact type cardio. And I read somewhere that lifting weights burns about 8 calories per minute, so you can probably add about 120 for that. I usually don't count it though since MFP doesn't seem to.

you can track weightlifting on mfp, if you go into the strength training section you post the individual workouts "3 sets of 10 reps of 30lbs" ect.... but if you go into the cardio section you can search for strength training and post it, for me its about 3 calories a minute, Used to be more before the 30+lbs came off!
  • stephs491
    Options
    Thanks everyone...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

strength training burns a ton of calories.

That being said, the 30 minute circuit is going to depend on a lot of things. rest periods, reps, weights used, etc.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Iluvdeadlifts is dead on correct
  • babygurl6982
    Options
    ilovedeadlifts i agree .... and as far as the question just log it in circuit training
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

did you have pizza or bagels after your work out?
  • stephs491
    Options
    Why would I eat pizza or bagels???
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Uh, derp, neither. I don't look at the Tootsie Rolls either. What I do know is that sometimes after ppl done maxing out the contents of their stomach and the ATP in their system, they're not ready with something to stick in their mouths should a sudden change in blood sugar happen and they need sugar fast. Some elderly ppl work out and they need easy access to a sugar shock to regulate them til they can get to food. Working out can cause that to happen. Sometimes they're not prepared. I don't know if you've ever had a sudden loss of glucose in your blood - you get shakey and pale and a bit faint, so those candies are not for nothing. They're not the best choice but they are there.

Smile, hunny.