Any one like eggplant?

Options
cagefan
cagefan Posts: 194 Member
If so, what the heck do you with them? They seem to be a great source of something, right ??!! :indifferent:

Replies

• amyjerc
    amyjerc Posts: 3
    Options
    Cut into thick slices & spray with cooking spray, salt and pepper. They can be grilled on roasted in the oven that way.

Also I like to throw cubes of them into my tomato sauce.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I saw someone post on here once that they slice them and make "pizzas" out of them. Just put a little bit of sauce and some toppings on top and throw it in the oven. Sounds good to me, still have yet to try it.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I've done the "pizza" thing. Eggplant isn't bad once it's been peeled (the skin is too rubbery), but it didn't satisfy my need for pizza (broccoli crust corrected that issue, fortunately). Baking things on eggplant is still pretty good. The cutting them into slices, spray, season, and cook idea also works well.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    LOVE it breaded and fried...unfortunately that does not fit in too well with my goals :X
  • dgrei320
    dgrei320 Posts: 66
    Options
    baba ganoush is amazing. theres tons of recipes online. its like a hummus dish but with eggplant. great if you like armenian food
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Love eggplant, one of my favourite things to do with it is to use it to replace lasagne sheets for a low-carb lasagne (aka moussaka).

Other than that just oil and salt and bake it in the oven, it's also fantastic in curries
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Two words: baba ganoush. !!!!!.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I love to saute cubed eggplant and then put it in spaghetti sauce. Yummo!!!
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    eggplant has its own taste, but it also really picks up on whatever you flavor it with - so be creative!

easy is olive oil and sea salt (or kosher salt). add fresh basil if you want too.

make your own sweet and sour eggplant to fend off that take out chinese food craving. add either some brown rice, ground chicken, or both.
  • rosiesmama
    rosiesmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille is a great summer dish that uses eggplants, tomatoes and lots of other goodies, depending on the recipe. Tons of recipes online. I always check epicurious.com when looking for ways to use different ingredients. Also smitten kitchen.com.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with eggplant is to cut it up into strips like french fries. Dip it in egg, and then dip it in bread crumbs. If you're feeling extra fancy, add parmesan and oregano to the bread crumbs. Then, bake it until it's golden brown. Dip it in marinara sauce. It's so good, and since no oil or butter is used except maybe to keep it sticking to the pan, it's pretty low in calories.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I cube them (skin on) and put them in everything imaginable-- soups and stews, stir fry, omelets, as a meat substitute in chili, in green pepper stuffing. . . .

basically, if you could put a cube of tofu in something, I'd put eggplant there instead.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Baba ganoush! It's crack.

Also, since we're heading into grilling season, it's amazing on the grill with a balsamic reduction.

if you're going to cook it in the oven, though, lightly salt it and let it sit for like 30 minutes. Eggplant holds a ton of water, and the salt draws it out.

I like to buy the small eggplants and scoop out the middle, dice it up with tomato and basil and mushrooms, then put the mixture back into the shells and bake it at 350 until slightly crispy.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've loved caponata since I was a kid ... here's a great recipe for it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/health/nutrition/04recipehealth.html?_r=0

Replace the sugar with Stevia or another sweetener like Nutresse ... for me, I have to reduce the amount of sweetness so I'd suggest starting low and adding sweetener to taste. A number of Sicilian dishes are sweet and sour in nature (agrodolce). Great as a side dish with dinner, or as a veggie for lunch.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Saute garlic and ginger; add chopped eggplant and mushrooms; then add lime zest & squeeze the lime to juice it then add a can of bamboo shoots and a can of coconut milk with a splash of fish sauce and a spoonful of green curry. Garnish with cilantro. So tasty. :heart:

Edited to add: serve with rice
  • JerzsBoogie
    Options
    Love eggplant, one of my favourite things to do with it is to use it to replace lasagne sheets for a low-carb lasagne (aka moussaka).

Other than that just oil and salt and bake it in the oven, it's also fantastic in curries

^
    This is my favorite way to do it. Probably the easiest, too. I roast mine first, before putting it into the dish.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with eggplant is to cut it up into strips like french fries. Dip it in egg, and then dip it in bread crumbs. If you're feeling extra fancy, add parmesan and oregano to the bread crumbs. Then, bake it until it's golden brown. Dip it in marinara sauce. It's so good, and since no oil or butter is used except maybe to keep it sticking to the pan, it's pretty low in calories.

I do something very similar to this (the egg and breadcrumbs part), but I cut thick slices, so they are like little steaks, then I put them in a pan until golden brown. Yum!
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    eggplant parmesean. cut into slices and use in place of lasagne
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i love eggplant parm. I also like it chopped up with carrots and onion and bell pepper and squash in my tomato sauce on my spaghetti.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    No. They are a great source of yuck and mushy.