Where has horror gone?

Options
The_WoIverine
The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
A meme I saw online made me realize Hollywood is destroying horror movies, at least two types of horror movies. First, vampires and now zombies. After making vampires look like total sparkling p***ies that came from a fairy tale, and probably related to Tinker Bell, now they're making a romantic zombie movie?

I remember vampires used to be evil blood sucking creatures of the night that would terrorize everyone in their path. Then came The Twilight Saga and it literally destroyed that evil image vampires had. Not happy enough with the damage they've done, now they're coming with a romantic zombie that becomes human thanks to love.

Lately most horror movies Hollywood is making are remakes because they don't have the creativity to write new stories, but on top of that if they transform horror characters into wimps, soon horror will be gone forever.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :cry:
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm with you here. Gone are the days where good suspense and "leaving" some actions to the imagination of the viewer are used.

I liked the horror movies of the late 70s through much of the 80s...nowadays Eh...not so much!
  • The_WoIverine
    Options
    :sick: :sick: :sick:

photo-5.jpg
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I completely agree about the teenybopper soap opera sparkly vampires. I really find no appeal in that. But Hollywood has been effing up vampire movies for a good long time now. I mean, you've seen Queen of the Damned right?

But while I can't remember the name of the zombie movie you're referring to, I have to say I enjoyed that one. It sounds like the same teenybopper bull**** but it was quite good.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Eh True Blood but it's not really scary.

I'm not sure what zombie flick your talking about though.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    The whole pararnormal romance trend of recent years makes me barfy.
  • The_WoIverine
    Options
    Calt, the zombie one is Warm Bodies.
  • BernardPumpkin
    Options
    i effin hate twilight :explode: i neva was into vampire movies tho.i like zombie an slasher
  • The_WoIverine
    Options
    Even though True Blood also portraits vampire and werewolf as wimps at least you have some mean a**holes in that show. But twilight? Disgusting
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    Calt, the zombie one is Warm Bodies.
    Yeah! That one!
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    At least World War Z is coming out soon, SO PUMPED
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Hmm...ima have to look that up. :smile:
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    PG-13 World War Z. NO THANKS.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Twilight and warm bodies are horror movies?

What about watching something else besides what you take your tween daughter too. Evil Dead?

tumblr_mg6l2utUbp1qzxlt6o1_500.gif

But your right, we need more of the classics

0057181.jpg

sorority_babes_in_the_slimeball_bowl-o-rama_1988.jpg

:drinker:
    tumblr_ltld5xqMoI1qa3ylxo1_500.gif
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Here Here! I don't mind a suave vamp, but even the old Dracula movies had him as dangerous. Nosferatu is hot! LOL

Hollywood Horror has been ripped apart and stuffed into a 'will it make money and draw the kids with all the expendable cash' pile.

If you want good, terrifying horror, you have to go to the indie movies, the low budget ones, or go to the subtitles, because outside of Hollywood, there are still some great horror flicks being made that will bend your brain, and twist your guts.

Or, just hit up small press and get you some excellent new, cutting edge horror books. I know a few authors that could totally feed that and you can use the movie of your imagination.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    Loved the book, but I've heard not good things about the movie. Will still see it though.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. Vampires don't f&ckin' sparkle!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Horror will never be gone or destroyed simply because bad horror movies are made. There have always been good and bad versions of each cliche monster story out there. Thankfully, there are many who have done well in making horror films - just not as many as there used to be. People are running out of ideas. Personally, I really liked Shutter Island, but not exactly a slasher flick. That was the last movie I enjoyed that was meant to be scary / creepy.

Plenty - and I mean plenty - of bad horror films have been made, though. I think you just have to learn to take the good with the bad, because when they're good, they're amazing, and when they're bad, you have something to make fun of and laugh at.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I think the vampire as pitiful anti-hero (or as it is now, cursed superhero - thanks Stefanie Meyer) really got started with Coppola's "Dracula" film in 1992. It's a shame really, because Gary Oldman was dead on (pun intended) as Dracula... but they had to go and make him sympathetic and romantic. From then on, it was game over for vampires.
  • The_WoIverine
    Options
    tumblr_mg6l2utUbp1qzxlt6o1_500.gif

Awwwww, so cute :love: