Losing Weight is 80% Diet- BS

Options
I keep reading that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise and I just have to say that it just does not hold true for me, and never has.

I can eat 1200 calories and GAIN weight if I am not exercising..even though I am well below my BMR at 1200 calories.
(ie I could NOT lose weight on nutrisystem)

The bottom line is I can not lose weight unless I exercise, so for me the role of exercise is SO much bigger than 20% and I have a feeling I am not the only one.

Even now, the hardest days for me are my rest days. On my rest days it is a battle to stay within my calorie goals...
I don't think it is just a mental thing, I think the big picture is so much more than just diet (or exercise for that matter)

When I exercise I am not hungry, except for right after the work out. I am motivated and I am disciplined when I exercise. My hormones are more in check when I exercise and emotional eating is NOT an issue on my exercise days...it is on my rest days...I even fast longer on my rest days to get a handle on my eating...UGH

Is it just because I am bored...no I don't think so. I feel on my rest days like I am fighting chemistry and a whole lot more.

Yep I know it is all about the calorie deficit...but in reality for me it really is not...4-2 does not always equal 2 unless I add some cardio and lifting to it...

How about you? Is it all about diet for you?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    For me, it IS mostly about diet.

I used to exercise my brains out, but because I wasn't eating properly, the scale hardly budged. Also, when I was eating properly yet not using a food scale and measuring everything meticulously, I was still not losing weight like I was expecting because I was overeating and not really knowing it.

I find that it is easier to lose weight and reach a goal with intense exercise, but I have also found that as long as I am eating a calorie deficit from my TDEE, I don't "need" to workout like I do. But, since exercise raises my TDEE and I love food, I would much prefer to exercise so I can eat more food.

I lose body fat while eating a proper diet and measuring my food meticulously with a food scale. I lose fat faster and end up looking awesome when I add weight training to the mix. I do cardio purely for fun as I would hate to "have to" do cardio. Without cardio kickboxing or dancing, I wouldn't do it at all. But, I wouldn't need to anyway to lose fat. It's mostly diet anyway.
  • Chriztii
    Chriztii Posts: 94
    Options
    I lost 15kg JUST from dieting, the only exercise i do is my job which is stocking shelves after study. I've put 6kg back on doing the exact same things because i changed my eating back to bad foods.

Remember it's not only what you're eating but how big your portions are and what times you eat etc. I'm not saying everyones the same but i don't know why you'd be putting on weight unless you have a bad motabolism or your daily activities are very very minimal

And my target is 1200-1500 calories a day usually 1300 ish on average. I only just started counting again but 1200 has always been my target when i lost the 15
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    OP.. oh OP... if anything, it's 100% about the diet.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i am the same way for me its more like 50-50 i have insulin resistance pcos and hashimoto the only way i see the lbs move is when i move low cals and not exercising i wont shift a lbs
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I can eat 1200 calories and GAIN weight if I am not exercising..even though I am well below my BMR at 1200 calories.

You're eating below your BMR? No real surprise your weight loss has slowed/stopped.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Surely this is why you could be gaining? :) a little too low!

I Think for me, about 70-30 towards food :) I lost all my weight with food choices, now adding in some exercise dailyx
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I Think for me, about 70-30 towards food :) I lost all my weight with food choices, now adding in some exercise dailyx

You wont gain weight from eating too little! ! If that were the case annorexic people and starving africans would be fat.
    Its not good for you to eat too little, but it won't make you gain. I've lost a stone since January on 1200 and it never slowed down and I was never overweight to start with.
    If someone is gaining eating 1200cals a day, more than likely they are underestimating their calories or over estimating exercise calories.
  • Louise1247
    Options

You wont gain weight from eating too little! ! If that were the case annorexic people and starving africans would be fat.
    Its not good for you to eat too little, but it won't make you gain. I've lost a stone since January on 1200 and it never slowed down and I was never overweight to start with.
    If someone is gaining eating 1200cals a day, more than likely they are underestimating their calories or over estimating exercise calories.

Ive gained on too little :) And i logged obsessively too x I wont go into more detail as i dont like posting on forums usually
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    See my ticker below? That is 99% diet. Although people are different and what works for some might not work for others, the basic principle remains: You lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn. Exercise helps in allowing you to eat more so you don't feel like you starve yourself, and in the case of stength training, it will help to tone and tighten up flab, but again - burn more calories than you eat, and you will lose weight. I am walking talking proof. :-)
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Nope, not BS.

Losing weight is a calorie deficit - plain as.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'd say it was split evenly between mindset & diet, with a bit on the side for exercise... in my case that's how it is.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Mostly nutrition for me too.

My exercise is walking, I love doing it but I don't kid myself on how much energy it burns.

Mindset too, yeh LadyPakal, an often overlooked ingredient ... Get the attitude right and all else should follow.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Ive gained on too little :) And i logged obsessively too x I wont go into more detail as i dont like posting on forums usually

If you gain FAT and not water weight on eating at 1200 you need to see a doctor. I'm not saying it's right for everyone, it's definitely not, but nobody should gain on eating less.
  • Amellej
    Amellej Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Nope, not BS.

Losing weight is a calorie deficit - plain as.

THIS. You eat less, you lose weight, I'm guessing you under estimate your cals, my daughter eats more than 1200. You're eating less than your BMR but you put on weight? how?
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If BMR was calculated using one of the online tools, it is possible it's incorrect. Maybe her true BMR is actually lower than she thinks.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise and I just have to say that it just does not hold true for me, and never has.

The bottom line is I can not lose weight unless I exercise, so for me the role of exercise is SO much bigger than 20% and I have a feeling I am not the only one.

Even now, the hardest days for me are my rest days. On my rest days it is a battle to stay within my calorie goals...
    I don't think it is just a mental thing, I think the big picture is so much more than just diet (or exercise for that matter)

When I exercise I am not hungry, except for right after the work out. I am motivated and I am disciplined when I exercise. My hormones are more in check when I exercise and emotional eating is NOT an issue on my exercise days...it is on my rest days...I even fast longer on my rest days to get a handle on my eating...UGH

Is it just because I am bored...no I don't think so. I feel on my rest days like I am fighting chemistry and a whole lot more.

Yep I know it is all about the calorie deficit...but in reality for me it really is not...4-2 does not always equal 2 unless I add some cardio and lifting to it...

All cardio does, is increase the calories out part of the "Calories in - Calories out" equation.

It's all about the deficit.

Lifting on the other hand is a whole different matter.
  • Louise1247
    Options

If you gain FAT and not water weight on eating at 1200 you need to see a doctor. I'm not saying it's right for everyone, it's definitely not, but nobody should gain on eating less.

Yeah everyone is different, it must be remembered. but its other factors too, like making you eat MORE because of starving (more crap, easy food), and i didnt say anything about fat gain, just gained in general :) My metabolism was slowed right down to a point where food wasnt being processed properly, hence a gain.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Same for me. I can eat what I want as long as I exercise.
    If I don't exercise, I only maintain in my calorie range.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's 90% diet for me.

If I keep my diet tight then I can get away with two short but high quality weights sessions per week, drop weight fine and look good.

If my diet becomes sloppy then I struggle to lose weight even with multiple exercise sessions per week. In addition exercise makes me hungrier making it far more likely I will over eat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What is this "exercise" of which you speak ?

Eating less food in general and less carbs in particular worked for me to the tune of over 60 lbs