heart rate during exercise

Options
im trying to lose weight and i've done my research and found that burning more calories is more effective then the lower intensity cardio. anyways, i finally joined a gym and about 4 times a week i'll go on the elliptical and stationary bike for half an hour each, keeping my HR at a consistent 180. im just wondering if im heading down the right path to losing this gut. (just because the machine has a chart ill add some info, im currently 23 years old and 215 pounds, just consider that mostly body fat :p)

and before everyone suggests adding in weight training, i do plan on starting that a little bit down the road, i just want to build up some stamina before i get into it.

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    im trying to lose weight and i've done my research and found that burning more calories is more effective then the lower intensity cardio. anyways, i finally joined a gym and about 4 times a week i'll go on the elliptical and stationary bike for half an hour each, keeping my HR at a consistent 180. im just wondering if im heading down the right path to losing this gut. (just because the machine has a chart ill add some info, im currently 23 years old and 215 pounds, just consider that mostly body fat :p)

and before everyone suggests adding in weight training, i do plan on starting that a little bit down the road, i just want to build up some stamina before i get into it.

Losing fat is calories in vs calories out. You can't target fat to lose. Focus more on your diet than what you do in the gym
  • reala728
    reala728 Posts: 31
    Options
    yeah i've made a few threads to get my eating habit down so im pretty comfortable with my intake. i just want to be sure im not maybe doing too much too fast or anything.
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It worked/is still working for me. One thing to keep in mind, the workout that gets you to 180 today might only get you to 160 next week. I have been increasing my workout to try and keep my HR close to the same week to week.

Good luck and keep with it...it does work.