Am I ready for a 10K? I need advice.

Options
Hi all. I have been running (jogging) now for about 6 months which is the first time in my life I have ever even attempted to be a runner. I am a 34 year old female and have been able to improve my stamina and distance with running greatly. (And have lost 25 pounds too which is AWESOME!) My weekly average is about 32 miles which is me running every day of the week, averaging 4.5 miles. I have run a 5k and finished in 32.36 minutes which for me was good since it was my first and only one. Now I am trying to decide if I can handle my first 10K next Saturday. I don't really have time to change up my training schedule since I am only a week and a half out but I am wondering if what I am currently doing would be enough to get me through the 6.2 miles. I have run 7 miles 4-5 times already on some really good days but always have 2-3 walk breaks for a minute or two during the run.

I would really love to be able to accomplish this goal of a 10K next week but am afraid I am setting myself up for failure since I have not had formal training.

What is your opinion. Can I handle it this soon?

Replies

• raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    you can definitely do it
    keep your base 4.5 with one longer run a week (6miles or so)

i have a lot of running experience and i can see that you are ready

have fun and good luck!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are capable, worse case you walk some of it, no big deal! Go for it!
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    maybe set a goal of just to finish!
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    You are ready! Go for it. The doubt that you have will morph into one of the proudest moments of your life as you cross that finish line. Your work to date is inspirational and impressive. You can do it. Around the six mark I predict youi will get runners high and your body will kick into adreneline mode. Best of luck and we will be watching for your " Idid it" comments.:drinker:
  • johnsodeb
    Options
    You can do it!!! You have already done 7 miles!!! I say you're ready!!! Go for it!!!
  • Liz75
    Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the loss and training so far! I too did a first 5k in just over 30 minutes and my first 10k was 57 minutes and it was a hilly route.. ;-) perhaps miss a day of 4.5 miles have a rest day (you need those for recovery..) and then the following day try a longer run, perhaps without stopping, just jog really slowly when you need a break. Aim for 10minute mile pace then you'll get your 10k race within the hour. Set yourself a goal, you can definitely do a 10k!! When I recently trained for a half marathon I made sure I could run for 2 hours and then I felt prepared for the race, coming in under the two hours. Much of it is psychological, you will be fine. Your weekly mileage will see you through. Do it and let us all know ;-)
  • elipticallover
    Options
    you can so do this! and hey if you need to slow down for a minute or so... who cares... it is about setting a goal to finish and getting it done - you will do great!
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    You're absolutely ready. Set a goal of just finishing - don't worry about your time. Make sure you're well hydrated and you'll do great!
  • kimandal99
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the support and advice! I GREATLY appreciate it. I definitely want my goal to be- just to finish (with very little walking or no walk breaks) but mainly just to cross that finish line. I can't wait to have that satisfaction. Now I just need to find a way to settle my nerves over the next 9 days. I don't know why I am so nervous about it. It was the same way with the 5K. I was a nervous wreck but loved it!

Thanks again for the encouragement. I will sign up today!!!!!! And I will be sure to let everyone know how it all turns out.
  • SimonLondon
    Options
    I agree that a lot of it is psychological.

I also find that after a certain amount of time (which is usually 40-45 mins for me) I hit a different zone when my heart rate slows, breathing slows, legs stop aching and once I get to there I feel like I can run forever. I really find the last 5 to 10k easier than the first because my body just gets into the groove and goes with it. Hopefully you'll hit it too :wink:
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the support and advice! I GREATLY appreciate it. I definitely want my goal to be- just to finish (with very little walking or no walk breaks) but mainly just to cross that finish line. I can't wait to have that satisfaction. Now I just need to find a way to settle my nerves over the next 9 days. I don't know why I am so nervous about it. It was the same way with the 5K. I was a nervous wreck but loved it!

Thanks again for the encouragement. I will sign up today!!!!!! And I will be sure to let everyone know how it all turns out.

I know the feeling. when i did my first 5K i was a wreck as well. though i hadn't formally trained. i was active with the bootcamp challenge i was doing where we ran some. i paced something terrible. You will do outstanding. if you are training and have run 7 miles you can do it. listen to your body slow down the pace, or walk there is NO shame in that. you want to finish and you will. GOOD LUCK!!! enjoy the rush you get when your done.
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    I sounds to me like your weekly mileage base is plenty to be able to do a 10k. If you need to stop and walk a couple of times don't worry about it but I wouold guess that if you've completed the distance a few times that the race day adrenalin will carry you over the finish line.

Besides, the first one is just a benchmark to run against and improve your personal time :flowerforyou:
  • Minsk13
    Options
    There is a 10k creeping up on me, 11/4 ~ I steadily run 2-3 miles almost every day and have a can do an average 8-9 min mile but I'm nervous... any advice?
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    No doubt that you can do it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There is a 10k creeping up on me, 11/4 ~ I steadily run 2-3 miles almost every day and have a can do an average 8-9 min mile but I'm nervous... any advice?

Slow down, run every 2nd day (cross train in between) and go longer/slower 1 day per week.

To the OP - it sounds like you're probably ready but am I correct in thinking you're running 7 days per week? You will probably find that improve more as a runner by varying both distances and intensities as opposed to the same run every day (a couple of shorter easy runs, an intermediate distance and a longer slow run for example each week) and cross train on non-running days.

Adding strength training to your routine can help address muscular imbalances and make you more injury resistant.

Here's a link that may interest you.

http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-263-266-0,00.html
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    BrianSharpe gives excellent advice above, I 100% agree w/ all.

For the one next week, I agree you are more than ready. Go for it.
  • Rositalopez
    Rositalopez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You will not set yourself up for failure. I have read and been told it is all a mental issue. You can do it and I know you can. I struggled with a tri-athlon last year and I did it and accomplished it. I competed again this year and cam ein second place in my age group and thats that I didn't even train for it do to my job and home life. I woke up that morning only to find it was pouring down rain and convinced myself I would compete. It turned out to be one so much fun and I placed second! Please do it you can!
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    You're more than ready! Good luck and have fun!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Relax, run as much as you can, and if you need to walk, you walk! Celebrate every mile and how far you've come. Big smile at the finish line!
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, you're ready!