Weight loss when severely disabled

Options
I have severe ms and the calories I am told I can have seem a lot when I am unable to move about and exercise. Is there anyone out there with a similar problem and can they loose weight on these recommendations .
Thanks Sue Gray

Replies

• hartland45
    hartland45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've just seen your post when I was doing a search for exercises for disabled people. I too have MS, probably secondary progressive but I've been stable for a few years since starting Tysabri. [Long story about how I qualified for it!] I need to lose a lot of weight, and found this extremely hard at the best of times but as a disabled person it sometimes seems impossible. I started MFP in April, and find it a great help in staying on track, getting back on track after a bad weekend, etc etc. There are so many inspiring stories on it. Recording calories helps me to see the bitter truth!

I wonder what sort of response you got to your original enquiry. Was it any help? Best of luck.
  • samischell
    samischell Posts: 40
    Options
    I have ehlers danlos syndrom. so any excercise that puts any stress at all on my joints is out of the question because it will cause a dislocation. I do slow walking and am trying to focus on the quality of my calories so i feel fuller with less. I'm having a very hard time loosing and would be happy to have friends who understand that exercise hurts.
  • wanttolose62
    Options
    I'm not sure how much or even if you can move about on your own somewhat, but my sister has MS and has quite a few problems moving around. She does some stability exercises with a balance ball. For the most part, she sits on it and works her core muscles but staying close enough to the couch or table so she can grab for support when needed. She also uses hand weights to work her arms and shoulders while sitting on the ball.

She can't work her chest muscles on the ball by lying back on it because it is likely she wouldn't be able to get back up to a sitting and then standing position. So she does those lying on her bed.

As for the number of calories, it's possible you may need to have lower calorie but more frequent meals throughout the day to make your metabolism get activated again. So the total calories per day may be ok, just not make your day a 3 meals and 2 snacks portions. Try eating 5-6 times a day, every 3 hours or so. If your total calories is 1200 per day, make each time you eat count at about 200-250 calories.
  • susangray1
    susangray1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement. As I said can't do any exercise, but wait for if. I lost 5lbs in a month, this is fantastic for me and now have really got the bit between the teeth. Yeah from Sue