Encouragement please...emotional eating?

Options
Just hoping for a little encouragement. I have been doing awesome, but the past 4 days I have completely gone wild with my eating. I haven't really been logging much of my food, and the amount of food that I have consumed during these days has definitely been WAY over my daily goals. I tend to do really well when things in life are going good. Then if something gets to me I eat my way back into my old habits, I am guessing it's a comfort thing or emotional eating. Having issues at home, family illnesses, higher than normal stress at work, etc... What are some good ways for me to keep these types of life issues from triggering me to eat so much? I absolutely do not want to un-do all of the hard work that I have put in so far. I've made too much progress to turn back, but really need advice on how to stay on track amidst all of my stress.

Replies

• Hodgenska
    Hodgenska Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem too... Well, I always have, but the past few days have been pretty bad. I just got on here to see if there were any posts about it, and voila. Will be watching... Good luck to you!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Try to use that stress energy to workout instead of eat. You could go for walks to clear your head, or even just do yoga to try to relax. Even if you aren't exercising, try to keep your hands busy so you won't snack, try knitting or some sort of other hand eye coordination type activity, hell it could be playing video games or something.
  • tramplingrose
    Options
    I wish I could help--But I usually wind up eating my way through a bag or bucket of something before I even realize it when I have a bad day. I am trying to be better about that, and at least stop myself when I realize I'm eating my emotions.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I don't have an issue with emotional eating, but if I have the desire to splurge and I don't need to I workout instead. Working out also helps me relax if I'm stressed.
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend logging what you eat, no matter what. Not to beat yourself up, just to keep yourself on track. I find I definitely limit myself more when I'm logging; I figure that if I splurge less, it's still good to do. Also, I think emotional eating is about filling emotional needs. So you need to figure out what it is eating is filling. Eating can provide excitement, let you feel up if you're down, all sorts of things. You might try journaling to help figure that out. Here's some ideas on writing therapy from wikipedia that I think can be very helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writing_therapy.
  • sarahmom2
    sarahmom2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem the last month or so, just so stressed out and emotional I can't stop eating. I decided now though to just channel it and do something productive. Tonight I decided to ride the exercise bike for at least half an hour, after that 30 minutes I felt SO much better! It is still tough though, some days I just want to eat my weight in chocolate, or BBQ (as was evident yesterday...but I still logged it and actually only went over my calories by a tiny bit). Having a "bad" day doesn't have to throw you off, just brush yourself off and start the next day fresh and back on track.
  • katiekate58
    katiekate58 Posts: 22
    Options
    Emotional eating has been a lifelong battle for me, and has been the cause of me regaining 35 pounds over the past year. I medicate every uncomfortable emotion, be it loneliness, grief, stress, fear, anxiety ect, with food. I know I do this, I awknowledge that its counter productive, but its strange how in the midst of a really stressful event, I find myself thinking "I really need some ice cream!", food has become my drug. I'm trying to think of other ways to deal with the emotions that trigger my binges, and I'm trying to be up front and open about the unhealthy way I cope with my feelings, and I'm optimistic that it will help! Hopefully you will find something that works for you!

Katie
  • natsgirl60
    natsgirl60 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I deal with this as well, the only way that I can combat the eating is to get AWAY from the temptation. I will get up and get out of my kitchen, go for a slow relaxing walk or a fast invigorating one. Go play some softball with family. Anything that will keep me moving and relieve stress. Coming from a track and field background, I feel like walking/running helps me "distress" I can get exercise and process the emotions and meditate without interruption or even having to think. Just move....
  • anggoc
    anggoc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I too am an emotional eater.I have horrible anxiety issues.I just seen an author on Anderson a couple weeks ago who wrote about it.She also is an emotional eater.I can't remember her name but the book was "You are Why You Eat" .Her one tip she gave on the show has really helped me a lot.It was F.L.A.B., are you eating beacause you are Frustrated,Lonely,Anxious,or Bored(?and sometimes add an S for FLABS....would be Sad).She said do not eat when you feel these emotions,learn to truely feel hunger and only eat when you are truely hungry. Exercise,walk,knit,read,do yoga..... do anything but eat if you are not truely hungry. Hope this helps.
  • CalypsoNi
    CalypsoNi Posts: 44
    Options
    I also have the same issue, however it usually doesn't last for more than a day with me. Such as yesterday was a bad day for it.
    They say exercise helps relieve stress.. not for me, it just makes me more upset for some reason.
    Perhaps be extra active for a few days? To get back in to the swing of things.
  • johnsonc2
    johnsonc2 Posts: 1
    Options
    It gets so hard when we are busy and stressed. I am an emotional eater as well. One thing that does help is when i find myself going to the kitchen for something to nibble on, I try and detour and take a walk. Even if it isn't a "work out" just being active and clearing my head helps. I can then ask myself "am i hungry or just eating to feel good". The other thing that helps is by not having tons of junk in the house or at the office. If it isn't there, you can t eat it. Fruit is good for a sweet fix and nuts help with the salty craving. Treat yourself to some yummy tea or coffe at your local shop- even better if you can bike or walk there! Hang in there, you are not alone!!
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    find something else to get rid of the stress: working out, calling a friend, writing it out, punching a pillow, scream, whatever. Don't have bad foods at home that you can binge on, if you want to, eat veg and fruits instead.

Don't stop logging no matter what. Make yourself aware how much you're eating.
  • BernardPumpkin
    Options
    log in everything u eat, everyday. it may help seeing the red numbers and will make u think twice
  • wbowman07
    wbowman07 Posts: 1
    Options
    What i do is go and distract my mind by working out more or I would drink a nuitional shake. That tends to remove any thoughts.
  • lmvince
    lmvince Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I discovered that the source of my emotional eating was not expressing myself verbally. Family, friends, and co-workers often said things to me that I disliked. But instead of confronting them or responding, I tried to be nice by not saying anything at all. But the fact was....their words hurt me in some way, and it stayed on my mind. To clear my mind and ease my frustration, I ate, and ate, and ate some more.

Now...I say what's on my mind. Even if the situation seems trivial. Even if people think I'm overreacting. Even if the words I have to say causes me cry. Sometimes I have to walk away and come back to the person and tell them how I'm feeling.

Confront those stressful situations with bravery. Then get on the elliptical and breathe some fresh air into your lungs, and exhale the toxins.
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    Emotional eater here. These last 2 weekends have been especially challenging for me. I'm just taking it day by day and learning to deal with it. We often eat to cope with stress or other emotions rather than dealing with the stress or the emotions head on.

I was really drowning it it yesterday, so I just started googling, and I came across this: http://www.helpguide.org/toolkit/emotional_health.htm. It's kind of self-helpy, but it's a good resource. I'm a solutions-oriented person, so once I identify a problem, I'm driven to find a solution.

Some helpful tips: if you're having a craving, wait 5 minutes. Think about why you're craving what you're craving, and make an informed (rather than emotional) decision about whether you want to eat it. Does it fit in your goals for the day? If not, avoid it. Sometimes, after a few minutes, the craving will pass. Sometimes it won't, and you'll give in, but that's ok. Move on from it and try to learn from the experience. Get an extra workout in to make up for it.

Good luck with everything! You can totally do this. Don't let a few bad days turn into a few bad weeks or months. You've made great progress so far! Just keep on pushing.

Feel free to add me if you'd like! :smile:
  • espy1975
    espy1975 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hang in there, i have the same problem. i work from home too so i get cabin fever as well. i get frustrated with the lack of wight loss too. i try to take walks when im feeling stressed (every day haha) it is relaxing and gets my mind off things and my hands away from the fridge. im sure we all know exercise releases "feel good" endorphin's in our brains, so even a short work out will help. i have an exercise ball and ill sit on that and do hip flexer for lower abs or crunches some times just lay back and let my body stretch and relax.
    keep fighting the good fight, best of luck
  • pinky6767
    pinky6767 Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi, I'm brand new to this site, and let me tell you, i can totally relate. I find i do my most damage food wise in the evening when i'm just sitting watching t.v.. For instance yesterday i was right on target with my calories. Then i sat down to relax and watch "mike and molly" haahaa and all the sudden i've made my way through a bag of chips !!!! what the ??? sooo,, calories blown and didn't do near enough movement or exercise to match it. Does anyone else find they do this ? plus, at this point, its too late in the evening to go for a walk.
  • Danishaeg
    Danishaeg Posts: 14
    Options
    That's right, you are not alone. There are so many of us. I try to keep myself busy with anything. Walking, gym, scrapbooking, anything. If I just can't help myself and I give in I try to only do it for one meal or one day and then get back on track. Also, I try not to feel guilty becuase if I do I tend to emotionally eat longer. I tell myself, ok, you have earned this one meal/snack or day, but that is all I have earned, so now (self) get back to my regular routine. Also, I think logging does help me get back to what I should be doing quickly. I really don't have the heart to log two days of crappy eating. I can handle one meal/day though, as long as they are spread out by weeks at a time.
  • Jennjo322
    Jennjo322 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello, I think a lot of people struggle with that problem. Keep the mindset that whatever you are going through will pass. Try to think about how long it will take to work off what you are putting in your mouth, is it worth it? Will it make you feel better after you eat it or will you feel worse because of the issue and then for having eaten? Don't beat yourself up if you do happen to slip, just make a conscious effort to stop and move on and do better! Good Luck!