Need Advice on Weight Loss Stall

Options
Hi Everyone, I'm fairly new to this and have lost a good amount the past 10 weeks by eating healthier and exercising. The past week I haven't lost any weight at all. I'm wondering if I'm eating the wrong things or perhaps not eating enough. I would appreciate folks taking a peek at my diary and letting me know what you think I can do to pick up the weight loss as I still have 80 lbs more to get to a healthy BMI. Thanks in advance for any guidance. I appreciate it!

Replies

• Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    weight loss is not linear!

log it and move on
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear!

log it and move on

This ^^^

Also, you're having a lot of sodium...that will make you hang on weight. Drink lots more water.
  • TashaUCanDoIt
    TashaUCanDoIt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to be giving nutritional advice, but I know a lot of women that use prenatal vitamins and gained weight. Maybe you want to talk to your doctor and switch to a different vitamins to meet your needs...

Good Luck!
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat so don't have any answers but have read a lot of the blogs and thought I had it figured out but ended up with more questions, so I know it depends upon your settings. Here's what I have and have weighed close to the same for over a month now. Up or down 1 lb is the best I can do. I set my goal for 1 lb a week but it reset it to .4 lb a week with a deficit of 210 calories, not sure how to get it to 1 lb a week unless it's just not possible any more cause I' close to goal? Here's what I know:

1. I have MFP and fitbit linked and setting is sedentary for activity.
    2. I let fitbit count my exercise, rarely add any outside activity since most involve steps and seem to be very close to what the activity would show if I input that separately like gardening, zumba gold, etc. so let the tracker handle it.
    3. I'm female, 5' 2", late 50's, and 132 lbs with a goal of 120 which is what dr said would be ideal.
    4. I have eaten close to the 1200 net cal on MFP for the last 30 days, usually 1100 and figure that's in case I forget to put in ketchup or coffee creamer, etc. I'm covered.
    5. I burn usually 450-500 on average as I walk 6-9 miles a day for exercise,
    6. MFP starts me at 1200 a day, Fitbit starts at 1130 a day calorie food plan. At the end of the day, MFP will say I have 350 or so left and when I eat them to hit the 1200, Fitbit will say I have gone over 300 calories (this is at 8:30pm when I input my last food and sync for last time),
    7. Normally I sync fitbit throughout the day, once for each meal after I input on MFP and then a couple of times after exercising.

So am I doing something wrong or have a setting wrong? My diary is open and so am I for advice on what I need to adjust, I did start out on Weight Watchers at 175 a couple of years ago and have slowly lost 40 lbs by just tracking food, so I want this to be lifelong and track it correctly. Thanks for input.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are staying right at 1200 and not eating back excercise. Not sure how tall you are, but you might eat more. Here is a link to a briefer IPOARM. I am eating an average of 2500 a day, netting about 1650 (total eaten minus exercise calories) and losing consistently. Like people say- it isn't linear. One week I lose 1.5, next week .2, next week 1, etc. An overall downward trend is the important part.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • p1ppers
    Options
    Thanks for the help and link, I am trying to get the minimum 1200 so maybe should eat more, fitbit keeps saying I'm over when MFP says I'm under so I didn't know who to believe. I also found this link which says go with MFP and eat back exercise, so I'm going to try that for the next few weeks and just see what happens. It's all a process to find the right fit sometimes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976981-welcome-to-mfp-don-t-worry-there-s-cliff-notes
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    You can't make any assumptions from one week to the next. You can do the right things all week and still gain weight and do seeming poorly another week and lose weight. You have to keep in mind that weight loss is a long term process an you should be more concered with overall results over time than one weigh in.

IME, I have had weeks where I gained weight when I knew I had to burned enough calories in diet and exercise that I should have lost 2. The next week I lost 3 pounds when I knew I didn't work hard enough that wek to lose 3. I think there are a lot of variables in weight loss, too many to predict what the scale will be week to week.

Over my about 6 months of weight loss I have had probably 4 weeks where I gained and 2-3 where I sayed the same but I'm down about 36 in total. I even had two weeks in a row in there where I had a gain followed by another week where I stayed the same.

IMO, don't change anything unless you are not getting results for at least a month.
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit too and I just ignore its calorie suggestions. Fitbit does not allow you to set it to eat back your exercise calories and MFP does. Although FitBit has a dashboard and a calorie tracking mechanism, it is not as comprehensive as MFP; it is excellent at tracking miles, flights, etc. My personal experience is that I lose faster when I eat back my exercise calories. I am set to lightly active and I only log the activities FitBit does not do well - strength training, yoga and Spinning or cannot like swimming and surfing.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Flipping back through your diary for the last 10 days or so, it looks like you're routinely under your calorie goal by 200-600 calories a day... That number's a target, not a maximum. You should likely try to be a lot closer to sneak up a bit closer on it.
  • p1ppers
    Options
    Just a quick follow up, I'm really trying to eat back all the exercise calories which I hadn't before and RARELY did I hit the 1000 cal a day, I think that was my problem as the last few days I've added nuts and grains to help hit the 1200 net goal and feel better and weight went up a lb, down 1/2 pound and leveled back out, so I think I just wasn't getting enough calories in. TIme will tell and we'll check again in a month or so.
  • JennIsv
    JennIsv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments and advice. It is much appreciated!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @p1ppers - I actually turned off my fitbit's recommendations and MFP integration... One day it would tell me that my 15000 steps were 200 calories, another day it would say they were 500 even though I went about the same distance in the same time. I even had one day where it said I could have an extra 40 calories after one of the longest, walks I took, at the fastest overall pace yet... I realized that I couldn't trust its calorie counts.

I still carry the thing all the time for counting steps and stairs, but I moved to using TDEE minus about 20% as my exercise is pretty consistent week to week.