calories deficit question

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day (well I try to). I don't eat back my exercise calories. That way I have a bigger deficit. This way I have been losing about 3.6 lbs a week.

Not a good idea long term.

but they do that on the biggest loser...

There's a lot of stupid stuff on TV.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump! I have always wondered about this - thanks for the topic and I will read on...
  • starladolihite
    starladolihite Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ok then, if my daily calorie goal is 1290 (with a projected wt. loss of 1 lb. per week) but I eat 1490 calories a day and burn 200 calories through exercise, I should be able to lose approximately 1 lb. per week? Do I even need to worry or be concerned with the Daily calorie deficit? I never even saw it until today when I changed my goal on the desktop version.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is eat fairly close to the "Your Daily Goal" number.
  • RossTexas
    RossTexas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Something everybody is neglecting to mention, is to lose a pound, you need to burn ~ 3,500 calories more than you eat. This is why MFP proposes a 500 cal / day deficit to lose a pound a week ... computed as 3,500 / 7 = 500 / day deficit.

To try to lose 2 pounds / week which is not usually recommended, you would target a 1,000 cal / day deficit ... computed as 7,000 / 7 = 1,000 / day. The 7000 is 2 x 3,500 calories per pound.

Comprende?
  • starladolihite
    Options
    Then I don't need to feel guilty if I eat, say 1690 calories on a 1290 daily goal, even if I only burned 200 calories, because I have the 500 daily calorie deficit, which basically takes into account an estimate of additional calories burned from "living"? Since I am still under 1790, I should lose some weight, but best would be to keep it under 1490 when I burn the 200 calories?
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think mfp's calculator is kinda weird so I use this website to calculate my caloric needs http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm based on my current weight and activity level. I eat the recommended "Fat Loss" calories without eating anything back on days I work out. I have had good success with this strategy. Hope this helps.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    it is best to eat what u burn or close to it. Start mixing it up with cardio and then some weights because building muscle burns fat.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people need to understand the calorie goal your looking for is the NET calories. So you have 1500 to begin with, you eat 1400, so you have 100 remaining, then you burn 300 at the gym, now MFP says you have a NET of -400 calories that you can eat to reach your goal of 1500 calories total for the day.

All of the math is done, all you have to do is eat what MFP tells you have left to eat.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day (well I try to). I don't eat back my exercise calories. That way I have a bigger deficit. This way I have been losing about 3.6 lbs a week.

YES this! Biggest Loser is a Big Fat Loser...

Their diet and exercise program is NOT sustainable. It destroys the metabolism of many contestants... Oprah has even done a program on this.

Eat your calories...eat at least half your exercise calories and if you stall eat ALL of them...stop thinking less is better, it is not for your health and it is not for your weight loss.

Eat healthy, drink water, exercise hard, de-stress, sleep and have fun...that is what brings weight loss.

TURN OFF THE FREAKING TV...watching fat people be screamed at and toss off the island when they don't lose fast enough is not going to do YOU any good...

ok I will get off my soap box (I HATE that show...it is from he||)
  • starladolihite
    Options
    That's what I've been doing but sometimes I am still over and when I saw something called a daily calorie deficit come up today I wondered if I could think of that as a little extra margin... not that I would make a habit of being right on the margin:)
  • BernardPumpkin
    Options

You mean, where they do nothing but train for a majority of the day? Where a sizable number of participants regain their lost weight after they leave the show? That "Biggest Loser"?
    yes that biggest loser. only reason why they regain iz cuz they go back to their old lifestylez, an eat 3000 cals a day an not moving around. if they kept up 1 hour excerise an ate the right amount of caloirez they would have kept it off. some people on that show only do it for money anyway
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

:huh: Good luck sticking to that and keeping the weight off. This is terrible advice!

Thanks. I've been sticking to it and keeping the weight off for over six months.

Some people do things differently than you do and it works for them. The only thing that is terrible here is your judgemental attitude.

Not being judgemental, it IS terrible advice! Netting that few calories is horribly unhealthy. It's just as bad as overeating in my opinion. I also never said anyone should lose weight the way that I do, I was saying they shouldn't lose weight they way YOU do. Do whatever unhealthy method you choose, your body, your choice.
  • BernardPumpkin
    Options

YES this! Biggest Loser is a Big Fat Loser...

Their diet and exercise program is NOT sustainable. It destroys the metabolism of many contestants... Oprah has even done a program on this.

Eat your calories...eat at least half your exercise calories and if you stall eat ALL of them...stop thinking less is better, it is not for your health and it is not for your weight loss.

Eat healthy, drink water, exercise hard, de-stress, sleep and have fun...that is what brings weight loss.

TURN OFF THE FREAKING TV...watching fat people be screamed at and toss off the island when they don't lose fast enough is not going to do YOU any good...

ok I will get off my soap box (I HATE that show...it is from he||)

lol r u mad cuz u didnt git a call back when u auditioned? :laugh:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

You mean, where they do nothing but train for a majority of the day? Where a sizable number of participants regain their lost weight after they leave the show? That "Biggest Loser"?
    yes that biggest loser. only reason why they regain iz cuz they go back to their old lifestylez, an eat 3000 cals a day an not moving around. if they kept up 1 hour excerise an ate the right amount of caloirez they would have kept it off. some people on that show only do it for money anyway
    Point is, you're not eating the "right amount" of calories now if you're not eating back the exercise calories AND on 1200 a day, unless you're extremely small or have a very unusual metabolic condition.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about this as well. I just changed my goals to 1 pound a week instead of 1 1/2. MFP says I should net 1540 calories a day. If I exercise and burn 300 calories, should I be eating 1840? I don't understand this, what's the point of burning calories just to put them right back in? Also, 1840 seems ridiculously high. Since I've joined MFP I have stayed under my calories all week, exercised nearly every day, and drank tons of water. Today it's been a week since I joined and I've gained 3 pounds! Is this normal? I'm doing everything MFP is telling me too for the most part, except for going over my sodium a few times. I don't want to give up, but it is very disheartening to see that I've gained three pounds in my first week. I know I shouldn't expect results right away but still....

My Husband has had the same results as you. He is getting unmotivated too because he is not losing.

You know when you get off the couch and do this thing called exercise you are building muscle? Stop looking at a damn scale. If you have never exercised and then start doing it, you will gain or stay the same weight for a few weeks.
  • jen2679
    jen2679 Posts: 3
    Options
    You also are building muscle with the excercise so keep that in mind also :) Muscle weighs more I hope that helps ;)
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Best explanations I've seen on how to eat, most people think less is more and then don't lose and get discouraged when they are given a Net Calorie count prepared by the MFP calorie counter and then are afraid to follow it and eat half as much and then don't lose. THANK YOU!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

3.6 lbs of what exactly. Guess what too big a deficit helps burn off that you may really want later, so you don't do this yo-yo diet trip again?
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people need to understand the calorie goal your looking for is the NET calories. So you have 1500 to begin with, you eat 1400, so you have 100 remaining, then you burn 300 at the gym, now MFP says you have a NET of -400 calories that you can eat to reach your goal of 1500 calories total for the day.

All of the math is done, all you have to do is eat what MFP tells you have left to eat.

It took awhile for me to get that and not be afraid to eat the NET like it says, it's so simple it scares people to be told to eat so much but then you earned it with the exercise that burned it, so that's the great thing about it, now you need to eat more to give your body the required calories it needs. How great is that? It's OK to eat more if you work more. Hard to wrap our heads around sometimes, at least it was for me. Good luck all.