6 Mini Meals - Anyone doing this?

Options
13»

Replies

• laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You're tracking your food, so it really shouldn't matter in the end. I eat often too. But I couldn't do 300. I'm more the 'graze all day' type, but still with 3 main meals. So pretty much breakfast is 20%, lunch 25%, dinner 30%, and snacks 25%.

This is me. I don't snack in the morning, but after lunch until bedtime, I eat little bits between meals. It all adds up the same.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to eat exactly 6 meals per day, you could focus more on intuitive eating? Eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not. I've been doing this and it works for me. The only issue you might have is not having any snacks/meals prepared and then you gorge on something not-so-good-for-you. Just be prepared.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just recently started this and I like it a lot so far. try to portion out what I plan on eating during work and after (i.e. I pack what I need while at work ...usually 4 meals) then I eat my final 2 after work.
    Generally speaking I do fasted cardio in the mornings so I have breakfast after that. I will either do cardio, walk the dog, or lift in the evenings so that is where my final 2 meals come in.

For me this has helped me control my cravings and hunger through out the day. Ultimately you need to do what is going to best fit into your lifestyle. Are you able to eat at work or can you only eat at certain times? Can you make time to pack everything the night before so you are ready to go?
    Also, are you sure your calories are accurate? apple slices, grapes and string cheese for 100 calories seems low to me (unless I misread that). Make sure you have an accurate measure for your intake and you should be good to go!
    Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I was told by my trainer that it would be a good idea to try out the 6mini meals at about 300 cal per meal in order to keep from over stacking and going over my calories for the day. So far, I am struggling to EAT enough! For example:
    Breakfast: Half a banana and a Jimmy dean light breakfast sandwich - 290 cal.
    10am: apple slices grapes and string cheese - 100 cal
    12pm - lunch - had shepards pie (small strips of chuck roast, corn and mashed potatoes) about 1 1/2 cups - 400 cal
    3pm : Greek yogurt - and some almonds 150 cal
    5pm or 6pm dinner - veggie, chicken 4oz and rice -450-500cal

as an example
    I've seen a few different kinds, but all have you eat veggies and fruit daily along with protein and even some fats. Any ideas on this? I am supposed to eat minimum of 1550 cal AND work out..and I usually burn 150-250 each time, so I find myself forcing myself to eat more calories. <
    THAT is something I have never had to say before. LOL

Any advise would be great!
    and as always, if you are looking for a new friend, ADD ME :)
    i understand where youre coming from , its a different habit and kind of a hard one to develop, especially if you are an "experienced dieter"
    the eating more, just seems, well it seems wrong somehow.

one thing i have a concern with on your post -obviously besides the issue of eating enough is your calorie counts seem a bit off...

Breakfast: Half a banana and a Jimmy dean light breakfast sandwich - 290 cal.---
    the sandwich is ~~260 calories-
    the banana , is about ~~45-50 ,
    depending on the size of the original banana

10am: apple slices grapes and string cheese - 100 cal--

again with no actual measurements or quantities. but assuming,
    1/2 an apple worth of slices,~35-40 cal~
    and a half cup of grapes~~55 cal
    and the string cheese sargento is ~~80 calories for one

12pm - lunch - had shepards pie (small strips of chuck roast, corn and mashed potatoes) about 1 1/2 cups - 400 cal--
    can be as high as ~~546 for a cup and a half,

3pm : Greek yogurt - and some almonds 150 cal-
    thats about right
    5pm or 6pm dinner - veggie, chicken 4oz and rice -450-500 cal

again , without quantities, hard to tell
    4 oz chicken breast - grilled-no added oil-appx 130
    VEgetables, assuming broccoli, is no fat added, 35 for a cup of steamed
    and rice, since you didn't say brown i am going to assume it was white-long grain, because thats the "norm" , 1 cup~ 242
    So dinner assuming there was NO BUTTER or SAUCE , is actually about dead on

i think what you're eating is fine, but when i hear about people thinking they aren't eating enough i see a lot of people VASTLY underestimating calories, and 15% off over the course of a day is 230 calories more than what you think you have eaten , so that makes a big big difference over the long run-- that could be 2-3 lbs a month difference wight loss wise..
    so without digging into your diary more than what you shared,
    make sure you weigh and properly quantify the foods you eat , any of the entries on MFP database that have a * in front of them , double check the nutrition facts and see if they are correct before adding them.. some of them are GROSSLY off!

Best of luck , and yes, i do on average 4-6 meals a day.
    it works for me.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I was told by my trainer that it would be a good idea to try out the 6mini meals at about 300 cal per meal in order to keep from over stacking and going over my calories for the day. So far, I am struggling to EAT enough! For example:
    Breakfast: Half a banana and a Jimmy dean light breakfast sandwich - 290 cal.
    10am: apple slices grapes and string cheese - 100 cal
    12pm - lunch - had shepards pie (small strips of chuck roast, corn and mashed potatoes) about 1 1/2 cups - 400 cal
    3pm : Greek yogurt - and some almonds 150 cal
    5pm or 6pm dinner - veggie, chicken 4oz and rice -450-500cal

as an example
    I've seen a few different kinds, but all have you eat veggies and fruit daily along with protein and even some fats. Any ideas on this? I am supposed to eat minimum of 1550 cal AND work out..and I usually burn 150-250 each time, so I find myself forcing myself to eat more calories. <
    THAT is something I have never had to say before. LOL

Any advise would be great!
    and as always, if you are looking for a new friend, ADD ME :)
    i understand where youre coming from , its a different habit and kind of a hard one to develop, especially if you are an "experienced dieter"
    the eating more, just seems, well it seems wrong somehow.

one thing i have a concern with on your post -obviously besides the issue of eating enough is your calorie counts seem a bit off...

Breakfast: Half a banana and a Jimmy dean light breakfast sandwich - 290 cal.---
    the sandwich is ~~260 calories-
    the banana , is about ~~45-50 ,
    depending on the size of the original banana

10am: apple slices grapes and string cheese - 100 cal--

again with no actual measurements or quantities. but assuming,
    1/2 an apple worth of slices,~35-40 cal~
    and a half cup of grapes~~55 cal
    and the string cheese sargento is ~~80 calories for one

12pm - lunch - had shepards pie (small strips of chuck roast, corn and mashed potatoes) about 1 1/2 cups - 400 cal--
    can be as high as ~~546 for a cup and a half,

3pm : Greek yogurt - and some almonds 150 cal-
    thats about right
    5pm or 6pm dinner - veggie, chicken 4oz and rice -450-500 cal

again , without quantities, hard to tell
    4 oz chicken breast - grilled-no added oil-appx 130
    VEgetables, assuming broccoli, is no fat added, 35 for a cup of steamed
    and rice, since you didn't say brown i am going to assume it was white-long grain, because thats the "norm" , 1 cup~ 242
    So dinner assuming there was NO BUTTER or SAUCE , is actually about dead on

i think what you're eating is fine, but when i hear about people thinking they aren't eating enough i see a lot of people VASTLY underestimating calories, and 15% off over the course of a day is 230 calories more than what you think you have eaten , so that makes a big big difference over the long run-- that could be 2-3 lbs a month difference wight loss wise..
    so without digging into your diary more than what you shared,
    make sure you weigh and properly quantify the foods you eat , any of the entries on MFP database that have a * in front of them , double check the nutrition facts and see if they are correct before adding them.. some of them are GROSSLY off!

Best of luck , and yes, i do on average 4-6 meals a day.
    it works for me.

I agree! I think many people underestimate their calories.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I eat six small meals a day to keep my blood sugar levels steady.
    Or rather, I eat three large meals but I split them in half and eat the halves several hours apart.
  • shoeprano27WECHANGED
    Options
    i dont even EAT 6 meals a day... mini or full...
  • celia4711
    celia4711 Posts: 15
    Options
    ugh, if you're not hungry don't eat. forcing yourself to consume food when the body doesn't need it is stupid.