Kettlebells workout on myfitness app

Options
Hi all,

I do two kettlebell classes twice a week. One class is a full kettlebell and the other is TRX/Kettlebell combi- both are high intensity and my heart rate is up the whole time while also getting weight training in.

I can't find anything on the app for this.

I have googled as to approx calories burned and obviously I won't get anything specific because it depends on my weight/ height etc.

I had been putting it in as 'calisthenics' (as the app recognises this). Would this be accurate in reagrds to approx calories burned?

Alot of info online estimates calories burn at 300 calories every 15 minutes and the calisthenics on the app are about the same.

The class is 50-55 mins long but I just put in 45 mins to exclude warmup etc.

My question is: Do you think this is relatively accurate or am I fooling myself as to how many calories burned?

I am 5'2 145lbs with a medium build. I have a slow metablism (I put on weight so easy and struggle to get it off and I have to eat like a pauper to keep it off). Thyroid OK but tests have revealed low in iodine.

It has taken me over a year to lose just 19lbs and that is including running twice a week and the two kettlebell classes.

I am not too bad with food but room for improvement there. I generally keep within my calories on the app- about an 80/20 ratio.

Replies

• Ginoo
    Ginoo Posts: 56
    Options
    I have just started with kettlebells and was wondering the same thing. All I can find on google is 20 calories burned per minute - as you say. Would like to hear what others say.
  • ampeterson69
    Options
    I wear my heart rate monitor that calculates calories when I do my work outs and log that number.
  • lauramur
    lauramur Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies- I would rather avoid going out and spending more money on a hrm or a device that will calculate for me. I just want a general idea as to whether or not I am putting in too many calories burned by using calisthenics. I don't need it to be specific but obviously don't want to be too far out either.
  • Ginoo
    Ginoo Posts: 56
    Options
    I am logging mine under circuit. I think that must be a fair estimate.
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been training with kettlebells in group fitness classes for about 2 years. Im 5'7" and 140 lbs. On average, I am dripping in sweat, kinda want to die a little, and burn anywhere from 275-400 according to my HRM in a 45 minute class. So yes, be careful on using that 20/minute average, as unless you are doing 45 minutes of snatches with no rest, it would be hard to get that high.