Burpees?

Options

Replies

• catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I actually love them.....it's a torturous kind of love!!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Burpees have been an integral part of my routine since I started regularly exercising when I started my weight loss journey. Initially I had to modify them because I was too heavy to do any sort of plyometric moves. I came down to the floor, stepped back one foot at a time instead of jumping back with both feet, and got up the same way with no jump at the top.

Now I have just started doing weighted burpees with zero modification. Holy crap.

It's so much fun seeing how much I've progressed these past couple of years.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I guess I did the modified version that didn't include the full push up. But it included the jump.
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    We called these 8 count body builders back when I was in the Navy. We had to do these constantly. Yes, they are a great core exercise. I didn't know they were called burpees nthese days, until I was doing them the other day, and someone saw me and ask" how many burpees do you do a day"? Hell, I didn't even know what he meant ....LOL...... I was like' WHAT?????, i WAS DOING 8 COUNT bb's a minute ago...." Then he told me they call them burpees now .....
    That's exactly what my boyfriend just said
  • MoRiv1986
    Options
    Burpees appear lots in my circuit classes. I prefer weighted burpees, usually with 15kg dumbells to make them a little more interesting

have you ever tried burpee box jumps to make them even more interesting? :)))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVcO91jkE9Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiiHRzFc_o4

Aah! I've seen people doing those in the gym sometimes. What a challenge!
  • MoRiv1986
    Options
    Wow, weighted burpees? I am gonna try to do the 100 burpees challenge with Fitness Blender. Wish me luck.

I am currently on day 94 of the 100 day burpee challenge!!! I am so ready to be done, but I will say my upper body has boomed and i have lost ~1% body fat in in 94 days - that is from 11% to 10% - that said, I have been working out other than just burpees, but they give a lot of strength and power. As time goes, you become very efficent at doing them - 50 is easy , 75 is tireing, - but when I stared, 25 felt like 75 does today.

Good luck!!

100 days of burpees? I just meant doing 100 burpees. Lol. But good luck, and maybe as I work up to it, I will put myself on that 100-day challenge.
  • Cocozest
    Cocozest Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Burpees = hell

I love the feeling at the end, but oh man, it wasn't fun at all to do. I'll do burpee once in awhile to change routine. I usually do it while watching blogilates video
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Whining clients get the burpee beat down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MoRiv1986
    Options
    Whining clients get the burpee beat down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Lol!
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Just started doing Burpees yesterday. There is something seriously wrong with my head LOL!
  • MoRiv1986
    Options
    Just started doing Burpees yesterday. There is something seriously wrong with my head LOL!

Good luck! I just started doing them as well, but I like them. You feel so great afterwards.
  • lucyhross
    lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow, weighted burpees? I am gonna try to do the 100 burpees challenge with Fitness Blender. Wish me luck.

haha i did this! it killed me!!

they are great workouts though- i love fitness blender! if i ever have 10-15 mins spare i do them
  • csmbsailor
    csmbsailor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have hips and boobs too and someone showed me how to use a low platform to put my hand on as modification
  • doublew98
    doublew98 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had not heard of them until a few weeks ago when I had a PT session at the gym and my instructor added them to my program. When I came to do the program for the first time on my own I was merrily burpie-ing away when I suddenly saw 2 feet appear behind me, and my instructor was there yelling "chest on the floor!!" (I was apparently doing them wrong).

Now I am doing them right and man, they hurt. But they are working wonders for my legs!!

I am doing a triathlon in June and need to get my cycling legs on. Burpies are definitely helping with that!
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    Burpees are of the debil.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    We do a lot of burpees, something with a press-up sometimes wihtout and sometimes wihtout the jump - we mix it up. We have never clapped above our heads tho, just do the jump!
  • bmwauug
    bmwauug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 100 day burpee challenge; Day 1, 1, day 2, 2, day 3......day 100, 100 - if you miss a day, you must make them up - and they do not all have to be done in order).

Interstingly, once you get into them - you establish a really nice rythym - the clap above the jump helps with this. This challenge was more mind over body, but I will say I'm really good at them - and they make push-ups so easy. Huge difference in my strenght from when i started to now...

FYI - I did the challenge because this is a staple in my boot camp work outs - I just wanted to master them!
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I did a burpee once. I hope to one day do another.:laugh:

Does it matter that I"m in my 40s? May I be excused for not managing more than one? I really have to try for two.
  • leeroxboro
    leeroxboro Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 100 day burpee challenge; Day 1, 1, day 2, 2, day 3......day 100, 100 - if you miss a day, you must make them up - and they do not all have to be done in order).

Interstingly, once you get into them - you establish a really nice rythym - the clap above the jump helps with this. This challenge was more mind over body, but I will say I'm really good at them - and they make push-ups so easy. Huge difference in my strenght from when i started to now...

FYI - I did the challenge because this is a staple in my boot camp work outs - I just wanted to master them!

HAHA!! This reminds me of what my grandpa told me once...if a man lifts a calf the day it's born and every day after, he will one day be able to lift a bull....not sure if he made that up, or heard it somewhere else...never thought about it in terms of something like this...I guess if I start doing a push up today, and adding one a day I will be able to do 20 in about 20 days!!