Low Acidic Diet

Options
Good morning! I was hoping I could get some help here. I recently was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer, plus gastritis. I was very sick there for a few days, in and out of the ER (I kept being told it was just the flu). Regardless, my antacids are working wonders and I feel MUCH better. So my question is, has anyone had these issues before and what was your diet plan? Right now, I'm really being super careful of what I eat. So I was hoping to get some good ideas for what's good for my sore stomach from you guys! Any tips are appreciated! Thank you :)

Replies

• Caseyanna
    Caseyanna Posts: 53
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Caseyanna
    Options
    Ok seriously, if I posted something about the person ahead of me being hot or not, you guys would be all over this! HAHA, seriously, I could use some help here! PLEASE Thanks!!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with a low acidic diet plan, I'm sorry. I think that calcium-rich foods like yogurt might help. Maybe?
  • Caseyanna
    Options
    Finally, thank you! I believe that yogurt is good, as long as it doesn't contain whole milk.

The foods that are bad as as follows:
    Pepper, Salt, Most seasoning, Sodium, Whole Milk, High in fat meats (cold cuts, pork), chocolate, spicey stuff, caffeine, sodas.

I do know that whole grains are good for my ulcer. So I've been doing that. Lean meats (chicken & turkey), fish, beans, eggs and nuts.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I had some fairly troublesome stomach issues in the past (not ulcers though) and I cut out a bunch of starches and sugars and felt better. It sounds like your diet as you've listed will work and seems pretty healthy. I personally don't eat whole grain foods (gluten intolerance) so I can't comment on how those work for this issue.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this issue either but are you eating lots of veggies too? lots of greens?
    that always helps my heart burn and tummy calm down.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I used to have a lot of acid reflux until I started eating as I do now. No processed foods (if I can help it), no grains/breads/pastas/gluten. My acid reflux is no longer an issue. I don't know if the two would be considered similar or not.

When you were diagnosed with ulcers, did they not give you a detailed do/do not eat plan?

Google search provided this: http://heartburn.about.com/od/pepticulcers/a/ulcer_diet.htm - I hope it helps!
  • Caseyanna
    Options
    No, it was just the ER doctor. Today is my follow-up with my family doctor. I'm hoping to get more info on my new diet there. Thank you!
  • leslieac3
    leslieac3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had stomach problems and then I quit smoking. Started eating lots of dark green leafy vegetables. Cut back on sugars and have been working on the starches, no more stomach problems. It's not easy but it does work.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You should definitely consult a medical professional about this.