Evaluate my smoothie recipe please

Options
I modified a recipe I found on pinterest for a breakfast smoothie, but when I enter it in to MFP, it seems really high in calories. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet (plus an additional 500 for breast feeding). The smoothie works out to just over 400 calories with 23 g of protein and 4 g of fat. Does this seem really high for a breakfast smoothie? Is that a lot of calories for a meal? I've had it for 4 days now, and it doesn't really hold me over till lunch. Any tips on making it more filling without more calories? I'm up early with baby, and starving when I wake, so I make it early, but waiting 5 hours till lunch is too much. But at 400 calories, I find I'm having a hard time keeping to my 1700 calorie limit by the end of the dat with a mini breakfast again at 10:00ish.

1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 banana
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 cup spinach

Replies

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    unsweetened greek yogurt (just in case your plain stuff is vanilla)
    Almond milk (less calories than cow's milk but not junky like soy)
    add some protein
    1/2 banana
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in sugar. I would either not put any of it in or just 1/2.

Instead of spinach, try Kale. It's a little more nutritious.

I agree put some protein in there! :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Likely the banana and yogurt. Mine's 360 WITH protein powder, and makes 3-4 cups.

1c milk
    1/4c cottage cheese
    1 scoop vanilla powder
    1c frozen strawberry, partially defrosted
    1/3c wild blueberry
    1 handful spinach
    a few ice cubes
  • PrairieMomTo3
    PrairieMomTo3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay, so less or no banana. Yes, my yogurt is unsweetened. And kale. Other than protein powders, what could I add to a smoothie that has protein? I haven't the slightest clue other than the yogurt.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Either go to half a banana or eliminate it. I use either reduced sugar juice (I like Mott's for Tott's apple white grape) or OJ. and I only use 1/4c. My smoothie recipe is:

1 container Activia Greek yogurt (vanilla low fat - 130 calories)
    1/2 cup fresh strawberries
    1/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
    1/4 juice
    2 ice cubes

It's very filling, and depending on what juice I use, is either 190-210 calories.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    and i would add more liquid so you don't need a spoon

if you don't want greek yogurt add kefir. It's important to have digestive enzymes in your smoothie.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Other than protein powders, what could I add to a smoothie that has protein? I haven't the slightest clue other than the yogurt.

Cottage cheese. not as tangy as the yogurt, so you need less sugar to offset it. For real.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal seems very low especially since you're breastfeeding. Have you run this by your doctor to be sure you, and your child by extention, are getting the appropriate nutrition?
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It looks like your recipe makes at least 2 cups. I would eat/drink half and save half for later in the morning or the next day & have different snack before lunch - like a hard boiled/poached egg on a piece of good whole grain bread. You will end up with the same calories but higher protein. I don't find the protein powders keep me feeling full/satisfied for very long.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'd cut the banana in half. i find bananas dont give much flavor to smoothies. They tend to add thickness to the smoothie which your yogurt is already doing. I suggest protein powder, vanilla would work wonders in here. I don't think 400 is that large of a breakfast. I eat around 1700 and my breakfast is around the high 300s depending on the day. i like to snack in the afternoon though so I take save some cals for that.

Since you are eating so early, you could try eating a small calorie snack around 10 to hold you over. Something like half a scoop of protein powder mixed with water, a piece of fruit, etc. When I was doing smothies I'd have my smoothie in the morning, starting at around 7 and finishing it around 9. Then drink a small chocolate protein shake (10 oz of water mixed with half a scoop of chocolate whey protein 12g protein 60 cals) at around 11 to hold me over until lunch at 1.
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I add 1/4 of oats to my smoothie and lean protein powder. Yes the calories are high (about 425) but then you have have a lighter lunch or dinner. I find it stays with me for four hours or so, and even then I'm not starving for lunch.
  • pweaver25
    pweaver25 Posts: 18
    Options
    Flax seed is great for you but high in fat and calories. Cut in half or remove. And that is a crazy low calorie diet...