Doing insanity and not losing weight

Options
So I am on week 7 of Insanity and I have not lost any weight. (I have about 20 pounds to lose)

I do stay within my calorie range on MFP, most of the time (1300-1400) which is far less than is suggested by the Insanity program caloric intake calculation of 1800 calories per day. There was NO way I was going to eat more than I normally do just because the program tells you to.
So anyhow, my issue is that after 7 weeks of burning about 1500-1900 calories a week doing insanity, I have yet to put a dent in my weight. I guess coming from someone who has successfully lost weight doing lighter cardio workout routines and weight watchers, I have a hard time understanding why working harder is giving me less results. For all the effort I am putting forward it would be nice to see a loss on the scale. I have not lost inches either. In 7 weeks I have only lost one inch from around my waist.
Has anybody else been in this same position? Suggestions? because I am about ready to go back to doing lighter workouts if the results don't start showing up soon. lol my determination is faltering because there has been no payoff!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the workout calories? If using the MFP settings for calories you already have a deficit set up and are supposed to be eating them back to keep your deficit from becoming too large.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    What are your macros? The suggested macros for Insanity are 40c/40p/20f. You can manually change these on MFP.
  • chicanita91
    chicanita91 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This may have just been me but didn't lose any weight during the actual program but after. The first month I only lost 1-2 pounds during the first month then dropped 5 pounds on the recover week, than only lost about the same during month 2, than dropped another 10 ish pounds the two weeks following. I'm guessing I didn't eat enough, because once I started netting about 1500 calories the weight began to come off
  • mindyrae22
    mindyrae22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started Insanity awhile back until my knees started having more issues than normal. I made it through three and a half weeks though and I actually gained weight for the first two and then lost a couple pounds and stayed at that for the last week and a half. I would say you are still building muscle. If you stuck with the schedule (started the different workouts after four or five weeks) your body was probably just getting used to it when you changed. Are you taking measurements? I could see a difference after three weeks but I was a few pounds heavier. Insanity builds insane muscle so you are not going to lose as much as you think you will. Some people don't lose at all. When it comes to these workouts, it is measurements that matter.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements? Maybe you've lost inches. If no inches and no pounds, I'd go back to what was working, if I were you.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600-1800 a day while doing Insanity. I have lost over 10 inches, but only lost two pounds. I am perfectly happy with it. Are you measuring everything you eat? If so, your options are to continue to stay strong and work your *kitten* off while eating a bit more to lose or go back to doing minor cardio. Why won't you try eating more for a few weeks? Seems like a better deal than giving up and going back to eating little and doing little cardio.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue except that I am doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution and I am running twice a week. I am in week 7 also and have not lost a pound yet. I have 10 lbs to lose. I did lose some inches and body fat the first month, but I have been at a complete stand still the past 3 weeks. I have also lost weight in the past just by going walking and eating healthy.

I am going down to 1200 calories per day instead of the 1400-1500 I was eating before. I am also cutting out all wheat/gluten to see if that helps.

It's so frustrating, some days I just want to give up. Wish I had some advice, but at least you know you're not alone.
  • aznthundrhed
    aznthundrhed Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found that insanity would burn fat more than lbs. I completed the whole 60 day workout and even though the numbers on the scale didn't show as much improvement at the beginning, I was definitely able to tell the difference looking at before and after pictures. As you know, muscle weighs more than fat so even though the scale doesn't reflect it, doesn't necessarily mean it's not working. Up to the end of Recovery week, I lost 6 pounds. But at the end of the program, i lost 14lbs.

As long as you're managing the caloric intake accurately, and I suggest following the numbers via your myfitnesspal goals, you'll be fine. Don't falter, best of luck to you!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I am going down to 1200 calories per day instead of the 1400-1500 I was eating before. I am also cutting out all wheat/gluten to see if that helps.

moving the wrong direction there.

just like the OP, you likely need to eat more.
  • AnniePenny
    AnniePenny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This may have just been me but didn't lose any weight during the actual program but after. The first month I only lost 1-2 pounds during the first month then dropped 5 pounds on the recover week, than only lost about the same during month 2, than dropped another 10 ish pounds the two weeks following. I'm guessing I didn't eat enough, because once I started netting about 1500 calories the weight began to come off

Yea i agree with her, i'm thinking it's probable that you need to up your intake to see better resutls, maybe between the exercise and your daily intake you're in a too big of a deficit. I would try upping the intake to their recommendation for a couple of weeks and see what happens
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

i think she's on to something here.. REASON: muscles that aren't used to being over-worked are going to hold on to water (weight) SOOOO take a rest week and double your water intake.. idk what your intake is now, but a little more wouldn't hurt.

i had a similar issue when i first began, and yeah after 7 weeks, motivation drops!! hope you figure it out :)
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    EAT MOOOOOORRRREEEE :-)

Eat at least your exercise calories back if you don't want to eat more.

I recommend you check out the Eat More weigh less group and the read this post. It helped me get out of a year long plateau after eating 1400- 1600 a day, working out 6 days a week including marathon training and boot camp.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Now I work out a lot less. I weight lift 3 days a week and run maybe once a week and I eat almost 2000 cals a day. Since I started in March I've steadily lost about a 1lb a week and about 11 inches off my entire body.
  • AmandaMaitland
    AmandaMaitland Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had the SAME EXACT issue! 0 lbs, 0 inches lost. I was upset that I was working so hard and not losing! The key is actually eating more! With insanity's calculations and subtracting 500 to lose had me at 2000 calories. I thought that was way too much. So I got my BMR which is 1500 and some change. I settled with 1700 since it was in the middle. Welp, I never considered adding in what I burn with the workout. I burned 500+, so that put me at a deficit of 1200 calories or less. And that's if I even made it to 1700 calories! That's tooo large of a deficit!! Not to mention I initially lost 40 lbs by being a cardio queen, and sadly I became skinny fat and plateaued for almost a whole year. I got over the weights fear and the eating more fear. I currently consuming 1900 calories and lifting weights. Muscle burns more fat anyways, and you also your body will burn more when it's at rest! I would suggest lifting for one month, (no cardio), build up some muscle, and then maybe mix in some insanity in the second month!

Just a suggestion!! Good luck with what path you choose!!
  • ulrike1995
    ulrike1995 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying about the macros. I had a hard time adding more protein to my diet. I have increased my protein and lowered my carbs and fat, but not to the exact 40/40/20
  • lizamichelle1
    lizamichelle1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What are your macros? The suggested macros for Insanity are 40c/40p/20f. You can manually change these on MFP.

What is this macros? Who do those letter stand for "40c/40p/20f"?

Also, maybe you are adding muscle and losing fat? Muscle is heavier.
  • bj1220
    bj1220 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the workout calories? If using the MFP settings for calories you already have a deficit set up and are supposed to be eating them back to keep your deficit from becoming too large.

Can you explain this? Mine is set at 1200 calories. Then it bumps up to 1500 or whatever once I complete a workout. How then is the deficit already set up? Just trying to figure this out!
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So I am on week 7 of Insanity and I have not lost any weight. (I have about 20 pounds to lose)

I do stay within my calorie range on MFP, most of the time (1300-1400) which is far less than is suggested by the Insanity program caloric intake calculation of 1800 calories per day. There was NO way I was going to eat more than I normally do just because the program tells you to.
    So anyhow, my issue is that after 7 weeks of burning about 1500-1900 calories a week doing insanity, I have yet to put a dent in my weight. I guess coming from someone who has successfully lost weight doing lighter cardio workout routines and weight watchers, I have a hard time understanding why working harder is giving me less results. For all the effort I am putting forward it would be nice to see a loss on the scale. I have not lost inches either. In 7 weeks I have only lost one inch from around my waist.
    Has anybody else been in this same position? Suggestions? because I am about ready to go back to doing lighter workouts if the results don't start showing up soon. lol my determination is faltering because there has been no payoff!

Thanks! :)

I am in the recovery week and have only lost about 4lbs, but I have lost 2 inches off my chest and waist. I have muscles I never saw before. If you are working out this hard you need to take measurements. Your body is sucking up water and building muscle.

Ps. eat more. I went from 1200 a day to now 1800 a day and I feel great during and after the workouts when prior, I was exhausted.
  • ulrike1995
    ulrike1995 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements? Maybe you've lost inches. If no inches and no pounds, I'd go back to what was working, if I were you.
    I did take my measurements. I have lost 1 inch around my waist, but no loss in inches anywhere else. :/
  • Blueyedtine
    Blueyedtine Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I didn't start loosing with Insanity until I upped my calories ethier. My diary is open feel free to take a look and add me :)
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know it seems so contrary to dieting but don't be afraid to eat a little more. I experienced this with another program, I was to afraid to eat the recommended intake thinking I knew better (and yet I am the one with a weight problem. Hmmm) and I kept myself from experiencing results until I gave in and upped my calories. You are requiring a lot from your body it needs proper fuel to perform for you. The people who designed the program must know what they are doing because there has been a lot of success. What will it hurt if you added 100-200 calories per day just to see? 700-1400 calories is not enough to gain a pound in two weeks time and you might be surprised. If what you are doing isn't working why keep doing it the same way, that's insanity!