Calories burned during strength training?

Options
Is there a reason MFP does not recognize caloric burn during strength training?

Replies

• Csoldano
    Csoldano Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    it's under "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" but it's a guesstimate at best..
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know how to log that I did it, but it doesn't estimate the calorie expenditure.
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor they are AWESOME I use mine everyday while strength training
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see what you mean Csoldano. Thanks!

Would you say it's an over-estimation or under-estimation in most cases? I wouldn't want to eat those calories if I didn't actually burn that much.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree sometimes I just use the calisthenics tab-if I worked my @$$ off then the higher one, if not then the moderate tab it may not be completely accurate but I think it is close enough (for me anyway)
  • rburgess7
    rburgess7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    under cardio type in strength training and add the minutes and it will guesstimate your calories.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see what you mean. Thanks!

Would you say it's an over-estimation or under-estimation in most cases? I wouldn't want to eat those calories if I didn't actually burn that much.

I always assume it's an over estimation....
    But I think most things on MFP are an over estimation. I could be wrong though.

ETA: I probably do about an hour (usually more) workout but I only log 40-50 minutes. I feel like I get a better estimation of calories burned that way.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know how to log that I did it, but it doesn't estimate the calorie expenditure.

You have to look for it under the cardio section, but like it's been said already, the guess for this is all over the place.

Reason being, the system can't determine how much weight you used vs how much I use, and how strong you are, and, and, and, and...........oh, by the way, every person is different in the strength area. Unlike cardio, there are just WAY too many variables that can't be pre-programmed. I use my HRM to track mine for an estimate, but even that's not accurate cause the HRM can't really calculate how much weight I just sand bagged, or exploded through. It's measuring HR, not muscle tear. Not to mention, it's not accounting for the caloric burn for the next 48 hours as your body works to repair those muscles.

See what I mean, just so many subjective variables!!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see what you mean Csoldano. Thanks!

I don't know what he means! Please explain!
  • ElisaGetsHealthy
    ElisaGetsHealthy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree, it seems to be overestimating. I use my HRM and adjust the minutes on MFP to meet the calories my HRM says.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, MFP estimations are pretty inaccurate by over-estimation. Once I got my HRM I realized it was off almost 150 calories. Weight training is so specific to YOUR body. Your weight and reps very likely differ from the next person. If we both entered strength training for 30 minutes, we would both have the same number; However we both did completely different exercises, reps and weights. How would that equal the same Calorie Burn? It wouldn't.

When you log it, low ball the number just to be safe! :smile:
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see what you mean. Thanks!

I always assume it's an over estimation....
    But I think most things on MFP are an over estimation. I could be wrong though.

ETA: I probably do about an hour (usually more) workout but I only log 40-50 minutes. I feel like I get a better estimation of calories
    burned that way.
    I want to agree wit you on most things being over estimated on MFP especially the food section.
    Confusion in measurements eg cup, germs, mls etc.,calsmofmsome foods are just totally ridiculous.
    Sorry I diverted.