BMR/TDEE-20% question

Options
I am trying to reconfigure my numbers to set my calorie goal after regaining some weight back. Setting everything at sedentary (I will log exercise calories on their own):

My BMR is 1842
TDEE is 2210

If I take away 20% from my TDEE, my total calorie intake would be 1768, which is below my BMR, and I've read that one should never eat below BMR. I have a lot of weight to lose (80plus pounds), so I'm not sure how much that factors.

Thanks!

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A TDEE number includes exercise, so the number you figured out isn't actually your TDEE. Let's say you exercise lightly 3 times a week. In your TDEE website calculator set it to "lightly active," then eat your TDEE-20% number every day, including the 4 days you don't exercise--it averages itself out over the course of a week.

If you want to eat back exercise calories, set MFP to lose 1lb a week, and then eat back exercise calories as you earn them.
  • MarcPower
    MarcPower Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes calories burned from exercise.

BMR does not include calories burned from exercise or any other movement.

TDEE - 20% should always be higher than your BMR. Usually a couple hundred calories or so.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you have 80+ pounds to lose you can get away with eating below your BMR for a little while. But once you start logging your exercise and eating those calories back you'll be averaging above your BMR throughout the week anyway, right?
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of your plan. Those of us that have inconsistent exercise can't realistically do a true TDEE-% plan. I can work out 6 days in a row and then not at all the next week due to my work schedule.

I modify it the same way you are trying to do. Figure TDEE as sedimentary and then eat back exercise. The way I see it you are only eating below your BMR if you don't exercise at all for a long period of time. I've had great success with this method.

TDEE 2600
    Less 20% 2090
    BMR 2170

So if I average only 80 calories from exercise I am at BMR

Working great for me. Wish you luck!
  • MarcPower
    Options

I modify it the same way you are trying to do. Figure TDEE as sedimentary and then eat back exercise.
    I prefer an igneous TDEE. :happy:
  • shumbri
    shumbri Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I modify it the same way you are trying to do. Figure TDEE as sedimentary and then eat back exercise.

LOL
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE -20-25 and have been eating back most of my exercise calories because i thought it helps retain muscle since your in a deficit, is this wrong? So if my tdee-20 is 1800 a day then i should only eat 1800 and not eat my exercise calories back? I think i would starve if i didnt?
  • MarcPower
    Options
    I do TDEE -20-25 and have been eating back most of my exercise calories because i thought it helps retain muscle since your in a deficit, is this wrong? So if my tdee-20 is 1800 a day then i should only eat 1800 and not eat my exercise calories back? I think i would starve if i didnt?
    TDEE includes your exercise. As such, eat your calories back. You won't starve if you don't but it makes this lifestyle much more sustainable!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

I like igneous way better than sedimentary, too.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes your exercise. As such, eat your calories back. You won't starve if you don't but it makes this lifestyle much more sustainable!

I just recalculated my TDEE if i was sedentary and its more then 1800 a day so im thinking i was alright eating 1800 on the days i dont exercise and eating my calories back on the days i do. I know i wouldnt technically starve i just do alot of cardio so i feel wiped out if i only 1800 on those days. Plus like you said i want a sustainable lifestyle. Thanks!
  • becko99
    becko99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of your plan. Those of us that have inconsistent exercise can't realistically do a true TDEE-% plan. I can work out 6 days in a row and then not at all the next week due to my work schedule.

I modify it the same way you are trying to do. Figure TDEE as sedimentary and then eat back exercise. The way I see it you are only eating below your BMR if you don't exercise at all for a long period of time. I've had great success with this method.

TDEE 2600
    Less 20% 2090
    BMR 2170

So if I average only 80 calories from exercise I am at BMR

Working great for me. Wish you luck!

This makes sense to me, especially since you do a desk job and go to school. Just be sure to log and eat back all the calories you eat when you do exercise/take the dogs for a walk. Good luck!!