Single mom with 1 year old, now expecting TWINS!!!

Options
I have a 20 month old daughter! When I was pregnant with her I didnt exercise through my pregnancy. After I had her I was out of shape and it took a lot of work to get the weight off! After about 6 months I was back down to pre-pregnancy weight. Doing weight circuit training and a cardio kick boxing class once a 4-5 days a week. In April I found out I am pregnant with twins! I am now 14 weeks pregnant and I would like to stay active and keep my body in shape this pregnancy!!!

Replies

• Shuleran
    Shuleran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great attitude. I had a 3 year old and then had twins too. It has been a crazy whirlwind life. I let my busy life keep me from taking care of myself. I gained 50 pounds since they were born. The twins are 14 years old and my older son just turned 18. I have been doing MFP for 6 months and I have lost 36 pounds. I should have done this for myself years ago. You can do this. Just schedule exercise and me time into each day. I would love to be friends and support one another.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Why do women continue to say their kids' ages in terms of months after they've reached a year old?
  • saudade88
    saudade88 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Why do women continue to say their kids' ages in terms of months after they've reached a year old?

yeah, i've always wondered that too...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I'm 432 months old now.

BTW, you missed my monthiversary. Totally p*ssed at you.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You know how babies are made, right?
  • hockeymom2x
    hockeymom2x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha .. That made me chuckle
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Good for you for working to stay active and healthy! Twins are an adventure! Good luck and congratulations.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Because there is a lot of difference developmentally between a one year old and an 18 mo. old and a 2 year old.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    li3bgyI.jpg
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    To the orginal poster, You can do this!! It just takes dedication. Make sure you are talking to your dr to make sure you are getting proper nutrition for two babies. Congrats on your new additions.

To the poster about the months. Generally when you bring your kids to the drs they count month until they are about two. They do that because there is a series of vacines the are provided at certain intervals until then. When you call the drs office to make appointments the are for a 6 mo, 9 mo, 18 mo, etc well check. After the age two you start to go once a year and the become yearly well checks. That is the only logical explanation I can think of after having 5 kids of my own.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    I don't really have any advice for you but congratulations and don't work yourself too hard, twins are very precious!
    Take care of yourself but be wise about the exercise :)
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I hope the father will be involved to make it easier for you to be able to workout and stay active. I know when I was a single mom to ONE that was difficult.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Because there's a biiiiiig difference between a one year old, an eighteen month old, and an almost-2 year old (and everything in between). After 2, I started going by half-years.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I had a twin pregnancy as well; 4 months of complete bed rest prevented me from staying active. Be safe; twins can be a very high risk pregnancy!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Because the way kids act when they play together there's a big difference between how an 18 month old is and a 24 month old. And then the ages in between as well. It helps them decide which kids might play similarly and also keep track of what the kid should be up to at certain month markers. Development is really fast during the years they are young and each little month counts. I think that's why.

ETA: wait, what? was weese channeling me or vice versa? *twilight zone music*
  • krisgear
    krisgear Posts: 4
    Options

Because there is a lot of difference developmentally between a one year old and an 18 mo. old and a 2 year old.
    Exactly! There is a big difference in a 12month old...which is ONE!! and 20month old also ONE but almost 2!! If you go to the doctor they measure in months until they are TWO...if you buy clothes you buy them by the month until they are TWO!!!!!! Regardless that had NOTHING to do with my fitness goals and staying in shape and healthy during my current pregnancy!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORTIVE REMARKS!! I am going to need all the support I can get to stay motivated...but I am determined to stay FIT and HEALTHY for myself...my daughter...and my twins!!!
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I gave birth to b/g twins when my first daughter was 19 months old, so I can totally relate. My pediatrician (who also had twins) recommended a book that I now recommend to ALL twin moms because it was so great: 'When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads' by Dr Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein. It includes how to set your calorie/macro goals in order to gain enough weight to have healthy-sized twins. Mine were each 6 1/2 lbs at birth (36 weeks) and I attribute it completely to the book. Check it out! And good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Because the way kids act when they play together there's a big difference between how an 18 month old is and a 24 month old. And then the ages in between as well. It helps them decide which kids might play similarly and also keep track of what the kid should be up to at certain month markers. Development is really fast during the years they are young and each little month counts. I think that's why.

ETA: wait, what? was weese channeling me or vice versa? *twilight zone music*

This^^ Plus, before two years, everything is measured in months. Clothing size, doctors appointments, vaccines, developmental milestones, appropriate foods, etc... It starts and pregnancy and the month counting doesn't end until two years.

To the OP, good luck! Pregnancy was pretty rough for me but I've known women who have managed to do very well with weight and fitness. You can do it :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You know how babies are made, right?

When my niece kept "expecting" when she wasn't married, my brother made a point at a family cookout to wave a hot dog in her face and ask her that very same question.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had a twin pregnancy as well; 4 months of complete bed rest prevented me from staying active. Be safe; twins can be a very high risk pregnancy!

I had 9 weeks of bedrest during my twin pregnancy, but I didn't have other children to take care of while I rested. Wouldn't hurt to keep in mind what you would do with childcare if you are stuck on bedrest so you're not completely unprepared. The bedrest worked for me, my twins were born as healthy as could be!