help, i barely eat and workout everyday and still gain..

Options
Hello I am Katie I'm a 24 yr old female I am 5'3 160 lbs I started this app and I am supposed to consume 1200 cal a day and I always work off any calories I consume If I even eat at all I hike for two hours walk three miles and weight lift for 1hr everyday. Does anyone have any advice as I am some how still gaining weight...

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do everything you're doing now, only much differently.
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    EAT EAT EAT!! From what I've been learning, it's pretty important to eat all of your calories, even the ones you burned off!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

LOVE IT.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    so you're eating 1200 calories a day and burning off 1200 a day??

How are you conscious??
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Katie I'm a 24 yr old female I am 5'3 160 lbs I started this app and I am supposed to consume 1200 cal a day and I always work off any calories I consume If I even eat at all I hike for two hours walk three miles and weight lift for 1hr everyday. Does anyone have any advice as I am some how still gaining weight...

Well, if eating next to nothing and exercising everyday isn't working for you.....try doing the complete opposite.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You're starving yourself, it's not healthy. Your body is responding as if there's some kind of famine, and it's trying to hold tight to every single calorie it can. And your metabolism is eating away at your muscles for energy.

This is NOT a good approach for healthy, sustainable weight loss.

It's hard to offer more advice without knowing your height, weight, how much you're hoping to lose, and seeing your food diary.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Eat more and stop working out so hard.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    best advice: EAT. Seriously. Food is your friend and if you don't eat you are just asking for more trouble! :(
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    yup...do the opposite of what you're doing. less exercise...more food! (not going crazy with food...more healthy choices to a bit higher calorie level.) Slower, steadier, less obsessive will get you where you want to go.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If you are burning 1200 calories a day, you should be eating 2400 minimum, IMO. 1200 is the amount you should be eating to lose at the rate you've chosen (say, 2lbs per week). You're already at the deficit. Your calorie count shouldn't say 1200 at the end of the day... it should say 0.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Weight can bounce up and down daily. If you're just starting, you can't expect a straight line. Especially as a woman. Also, burning off 100% of intake is not sustainable.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Way to get to the point!

and here is an explanation of why it is not working-

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/04/27/starvation-mode-are-you-eating-enough/
  • MellifluousGirl
    MellifluousGirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Read the book 'Eat to Live' by Dr. Fuhrman (available at most libraries). It changed my life.
  • alpenpam
    alpenpam Posts: 27
    Options

*applaud*
  • skittles9878
    skittles9878 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys and I'm 5'2 160 I'm hoping to get back to 115 at the end of my days I've been having anywhere from 0 to 1400 on my logs
  • matanane73
    matanane73 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well you said you weight lift for 1 hour everyday so I would say it's muscle gain. I'm no professional but that would be my guess. 1 hr everyday .. are you trying to be a body builder? The best thing that worked for me was jogging/running and a healthy (healthier than my norm) diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    So a little over a week? Hmmm, sounds like you're retaining water and more water (since you lack calories to cover your energy expenditure).
    Your method isn't working and you're basically wasting 3 hours a day with what you're doing if you aren't consuming enough calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skittles9878
    skittles9878 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you I also dont think I drink enough water as it makes me extremely nausiated I drink about a bottle a day and coffee or tea otherwise and I am not on any medications. I will try consuming more calories a day any healthy recommendations as I am typically a junk food eater, iI've been laying off the sugars been eating fish and sandwiches lately...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Well you said you weight lift for 1 hour everyday so I would say it's muscle gain. I'm no professional but that would be my guess. 1 hr everyday .. are you trying to be a body builder? The best thing that worked for me was jogging/running and a healthy (healthier than my norm) diet.

Nah, no way she's gaining muscle. She's not taking in enough calories.

Water retention probably.
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    So it sounds like going into starvation mode, possibly converting fat to muscle (do you feel better/more energetic? If not I'd guess Starvation; if the latter that supports added muscle perhaps) may be what you're dealing with, but I'll take a different tact. I wonder about the accuracy with which you report the exercise and food here. If you underestimate the portions you use then it's easy to over eat. I say, be conservative with your estimates. That means underestimate exercise strenuousness and overestimate the # of calories you consume. Actually measure your portions, weigh them, know exactly what's in it. Stick to whole foods primarily based around fruits, & vegetables.
    For exercise, make sure to remember if you hike for 3 hours for instance, (and is that actually happening every single day?), is it all actual work you're doing, or is it 45 minutes of hiking followed by 1.5 hours of sightseeing, and 45 minutes of work. Also, if you take a machine's guess to the # of calories you're consuming, know that often those estimates are based on taller, heavier men than you, so they probably over state what you work off.

Above all, take heart, keep going and trying, there are many ways that make weight an inaccurate measure of fitness. Keep doing what you know is best for you, and your weight will go to the correct #.