I hate being labeled as "morbidly obese"

Options

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I started in the "morbidly obese" category. Stopped my diabetes medication last week and hope to be out of the "obese" category soon.

You CAN do it!
  • SingingPilgrim
    SingingPilgrim Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been 'morbidly obese' for 8 years.

I'm not anymore as of this month.

I'm normally obese... and am ten pounds below morbid!

I still have a lot left to lose(85-94 pounds, already lost 33), but you can do it! Friend requesting you...
  • iamlisainc
    iamlisainc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too! Let's roll! I mean let's stop rolling. : ) Friend me,,,
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Lost 90 so far. 40 to go.
    Today was the first time in a long time my BMI at my physical was not Obese. My BFP is almost into the high end of "normal."

For me the key was not "dieting." Diets are always temporary. I had to honestly look at my history with food and accept that there foods I can not eat in moderation. Trigger foods if you will.
    The first three weeks wire the hardest part. Breaking habits and getting over cravings. Making new habits.
    I had to develop a sustainable life style change.
    So far it is working.
    It felt good to hear my doctor, today, say I was no longer "obese" according to BMI. At the same time I do not let that number define me.
    I no longer wear "mu-mu" shirts. I actually wear shorts that fit and I tuck them in.
    Breaking old habits and patterns has become fun.
    Be persistent. Don't let temporary set backs trip you up. Don't let that tape, that keeps saying you can't, play inside your head anymore. Break that MFer. Throw it away.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It maybe a blessing in disguise that you chickened out of that bariatric surgery. You would have to do a whole lot of work with that surgery, like watching your diet and exercising to ensure that it's a success. So, now you have a chance to just do the watching your diet and exercising, without the complications of surgery. There are many people here losing weight without the surgery, there are those that are here post surgery as well and also losing weight. IMO it is better to do it without the surgery. It will most likely take longer, but as far as I know there is no risk of infection among other things with reducing calories and exercising.
  • Verohh
    Verohh Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies, it feels good to connect with people who are on the same road as I am, facing the same challenges, struggles, and temptations........ I can't do "moderation" either, everything is a trigger to keep on eating, so I am trying to think of these changes not as a "sentence" but as a new way of life....... thank you ALL for reminding me.

I have a doctor appointment in the morning to follow up on my starting to take Janumet a couple of weeks ago; I was on Victoza before for over a year... doc feels Victoza was no longer working for me because in the morning my numbers were often in the 150s... is anyone else on Janumet? How is it working for you? (my numbers in the morning are still in the 150s!!!)
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost as much as you are asking but I truly understand how you feel. I have been here and been dieting for a short 7 weeks and with 107 lbs. to lose have already lost 58 lbs.

In the past I lost 65 lbs. in four months but that was when I was working at a super physical job. Now as a disabled person (unrelated to weight) it is much harder.

I am on medication for high BP, I am labeled diabetic and suffer from many physical and some other issues.

I am over 1/2 way on the start of my journey to my personal goal weight, (21 lbs. lower than the doctors have set). The difficult part for me will be after losing to goal weight.

58 pounds in 7 weeks? I'd be interested in knowing how you did that.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have lost 47 pounds so far. At the beginning of 2012 my brother and I were both going to have bariatric surgery. We already had our surgeons and had decided on what type. He had surgery in February was out for 2 days and went back to ICU, he passed away in March. Bariatric surgery is no longer an option for me. I am hypothyroid and diabetic as well as morbidly obese. I had lost 44 pounds on WW before the surgery was to come up. I regained weight last year. I began again on my Brother's birthday and have lost that weight again and plan to continue forward. Most of the time I try not to think of how far I have to go but of how far I have come. I have learned here that this is not a diet but a lifestiyle change and with the support of my friends at MFP I can do anything. Please add me if you like.
  • Verohh
    Options
    Tekwriter, I'm sorry you lost your brother following his surgery, that's what I'm afraid of for myself so I'm still thinking it best to not do surgery because I think that 1) still have to exercise, 2) still have to eat right, but after surgery your stomach is like the size of a peanut and yet people still manage to stretch it and regain the weight... I think that would be me if I didn't learn to do it the "right" way, meaning, through lifestyle changes of proper diet and exercise.

And speaking of fallen arches.... I'm pretty much flat-footed now, my feet used to be size 10 which is big enough, but now they are 12W... I sure hope they "bounce back" and deflate a bit once some of the weight comes off LOL
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have lost 182 pounds :) I started at 380 pounds and am around 198 pounds at the moment. I also have PCOS. It certainly is doable...just have to have patience and a "never give up attitude". I am happy to take friend requests :)
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have never successfully lost weight, but then I have also have never felt so confident in my ability to be healthy. Since getting on MFP about a month ago, I am exercising daily, making the right food choices. I am running, something I never thought I could do, eating salads for lunch and enjoying them. When it comes to working out, I don't pay attention to how I feel, I do what I know I need to do. The scale hasn't shown anything I can be proud of. But I feel strong, I feel good, I lift heavier weights at the gym without pain, I run without pain, I feel good about myself at the end of the day and throughout the day. This is a lifestyle I enjoy and that I can stick with. I wouldn't encourage you to focus on the scale, it can be demotivating, you maay feel like your hard work is not paying off and give up. Focus on making a lifestyle change you can live with.
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have lost 47 pounds so far. At the beginning of 2012 my brother and I were both going to have bariatric surgery. We already had our surgeons and had decided on what type. He had surgery in February was out for 2 days and went back to ICU, he passed away in March. Bariatric surgery is no longer an option for me. I am hypothyroid and diabetic as well as morbidly obese. I had lost 44 pounds on WW before the surgery was to come up. I regained weight last year. I began again on my Brother's birthday and have lost that weight again and plan to continue forward. Most of the time I try not to think of how far I have to go but of how far I have come. I have learned here that this is not a diet but a lifestiyle change and with the support of my friends at MFP I can do anything. Please add me if you like.

Indeed. It is not a diet but a lifestyle change. Sorry about your brother.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I sort of liked the term morbidly obese. It helped me to think about what could happen to me if I did not make changes. I was twice the weight that was considered healthy for my height. This is a long hard journey but it would have been deadly for me if I hadn't taken it. I am not in perfect health but I know my odds are better if I am closer to a healthy weight for my height. I just recently went from the obese catagory to just being overweight so I am still a work in progress. We can both do this if we just do not give up. Eating and drinking less calories than my body needs has been the most important thing that I have done to lose the extra fat. And any exercise I get helps to make my body look better. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    I was 306 Thanksgiving Day, 296 @ Christmas and 287 when I started MFP on March 4th and found the reason I couldn't lose weight. Today I am 253 thanks to finding the main problem in my diet, Sodium. It is the key and anyone who tells you it's not, either hasn't been there or is a liar. Period.

A Kid with a broken back ( Bama56 ) who has dropped 206 lbs and kept it off. Read his post "200 pounds lost". In it he says: ....

"That being said, I do believe that one of the main things that needs to be watched in the diet is sodium, it is snuck into foods as much as it can be. It took me 2 years total to loose the weight, and I have been maintaining it for the last 2. I am very OCD about the things that are going into my body and have a consistent exercise routine. I firmly believe that weight loss is 70% diet and 30% exercise. " Bama56

Below is a link to his thread,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977242-200-pounds-lost

There is no majic, no pill, no easy way and no-one can do it for you.
  • melzielkie
    melzielkie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've lost 105lbs since September 2012! It definitely was not easy and I struggled a lot along the way but it was SO worth it! I have never felt this good about myself or so alive! I'm a whole new person and couldn't be happier with who I'm becoming. If you want it bad enough and you stick with it you will have amazing results! Mind over matter and NO MORE EXCUSES!
  • Verohh
    Options
    Lots of inspiration here, thanks you guys and gals :)

I like to be reminded that this is not a "diet" but a new or different way of life, a healthy way to live, I like that.
  • CamrynFox
    CamrynFox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was labeled as morbidly obese. 5'9 and 271lbs and a size 22. I'm down to 166 now and at a size 8 - it's been quite the journey. Even at the size I am now, I am still labeled as a 'plus size model' I've come to realize that no matter what size you are, there will ALWAYS be a label. Someone will always say you are too fat, too skinny, too tan, too pale, too tall, too short, too something. Society is evil. Just be healthy for YOU.

8956484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • CamrynFox
    CamrynFox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Exactly! One day at a time ... it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Small steps = great rewards ... You can do it!

8956484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • dolphin_queen
    Options
    I have lost about a 150 pounds so far...down to my last 20! I started my journey in 2009 and have kept it all off so far!! I lost my first 100 by doing nutrisystem. My doctor wanted me to do the surgery as well. I told her no way and I could do it all on my own; and did! At the time was taking medication for high blood pressure, and on insulin for diabetes. Right now I take nothing! And I feel fantastic!!
    My thoughts are this...It can be done! I am living proof! I had to change my way of thinking and how I view food. I had a lot of demons to deal with as well. My feelings were that the surgery only solves the immediate problem, not the why! Remember it really is one day at a time. If you mess up one day get right back on track the next! YOU CAN SO DO THIS!!!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Momo, 47 lbs lost is already quite a success. It's good to know that you've been able to get a grip on your heath issues; I take meds for hypertension, diabetes, hypothyroidism, depression and anxiety, ulcer, pinched nerves in my neck and shoulder that won't let up, and high cholesterol... and I use a CPAP machine every night. I was gradually going downhill from the side effects of the meds; I took myself off of Lipitor and my BP med because after 8 months on Lipitor my muscles, my whole body was hurting constantly (and I wasn't even exercising) and strangely enough, after taking the BP med for 8 years, I have low blood pressure! I've been off of that for 3-4 weeks now and still have very low blood pressure.... I just want to get off of everything and feel good, and feel light on my feet...

Veronique, I can relate. I started at obese. I have lost 70+ pounds. I have reversed my diabetes (totally off meds, diagnosis reversed), I have got my cholesterol down to normal and blood pressure low-normal. My mood is consistently great and my back and neck problems have eased as I naturally get more exercise now. I still use a CPAP but I get more/better sleep now. I have not had any surgery. But what I DID do was upgrade my food. I started feeding myself like a queen. I get radical amounts of nutrition every day now. After eating that way for a few months, I've begun to heal my health issues one by one. I still have some health issue to go, but I feel SO GOOD now, I have SO MUCH energy, I am exercising every day, and I don't want to stop. I highly recommend the book "The Diet Cure,"