So What Do You Do Instead of Eating

Options
So we have ALL been there, and I thought this would be a nice place to share what you do when you are hungry (for something that you probably shouldn't have, or when you are hungry even though you have be eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day - this isn't for people who just don't want to eat this is for when you don't need to for Health reasons and for cravings), intead of eat.

I deicde to...
1. walk a mile
2. drink some water
3. play with my dog
4. Call someone
5. Watch a thirty minute show
6. Get on here and check out the forums and friend's food diaries.

P.S. One way I have been holding off on my cravings is by only watching prerecorded television shows. So when commericails come on I just fast forward through them. That way I am not persuaded to eat at a fast food joint as much :)

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    play an instrument. we have several which i fumble with with varying degrees of disutility. I still can't play, but i look good. :laugh:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Great list :)

Instead of eating when I shouldn't I like to go for a run, walk my dogs, water my flowerbeds/veggie garden, play with or clean my ferrets and bearded dragons, read a book--just something to take my mind off of food and the kitchen.
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I chew gum. It keeps my mind and mouth busy.. That is if I can't get away from my desk at work.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    Start big crazy projects I've been wanting to do someday. Getting lots done!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I come on here...if i'm really craving something, ill watch tv from my computer, so if a commercial does come on, i can just focus on this site instead of the yummy ooey gooey deliciousness goiing on on the tele
  • carolinemacdonald22
    Options
    Play the wii with my little brother and sister.
    Im MGR at a salon, so ill go check on it and waste time up there. (plenty to always do)
    Chew gum.
    Get on here and browse around.
    Call my best friend and god daughter and talk that recently moved few states away.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Freeze pops! They're sweet, easy and the regular sized ones are practically no calories. Perfect for distracting oneself from snacking, especially on a hot summer day.
  • jenn559
    jenn559 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'll think of my inspirations or picture myself looking healthy and better so I don't touch those sugary junkie food!
    I'll also read or work out, find something to do:)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My list is almost exactly the same as yours, plus I'll do cleaning or go to the park with my friend :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    I get on this site, pray, read, watch something on tv, do something with the kids or go shopping
  • NattyBo
    NattyBo Posts: 41
    Options
    DRINK A CUP OF WATER! Then, do some pushups, check on the latest NFL news, play more videogames. If my Son is awake I just chase him around all day, kick around the soccer ball with my wife or neighbor, situps, read a book. Water is pretty much the key, in my opinion.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    1: drink green tea - sometimes we're tired and we eat.
    2: stick a piece of sugar free gum in my mouth - I bought three packs of gum yesterday. I keep it in the car, at work, on my night stand...
    3: stick a sugar free popsicle in my mouth.
    4: snack on carrots
  • Rororosie
    Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I will agree... water is key. often when I THINK I am hungry I am actually really thirsty.

Another thing I like to do is exercise - belly dance or walk or stretch or anything - or like many, distract myself with music (I sing and play guitar), or any other goal... usually once I'm fully hydrated, have moved and distracted myself the hunger goes away. In the past I have also used sugar free gum.

If I have drank water, exercised, and done my goals and am still hungry, I might be hungry, so if I am under calories I eat something healthy and I make sure I have healthy options around to eat in case I have real hunger! I have a food plan every day!

If I am depressed or stress and have emotional eating, I find that exercise, support groups, writing, and creativity... or even housework, fill the need better than food does now, but I will observe all this took practice.

The best thing that moved my exercise up was pushing up from the "any exercise is better than none" plateau to push myself a bit harder. When I tried for the gusto (within reason... i.e., ideally I wanted to go for 45-60 minutes of aerobic exercise but at first pushing to 30 minutes was hard... now I can easily do the 45 plus aerobics...) and stopped dawdling at the 15 minute a day range, things got better for me. This also lessened my hunger a lot and some days I actually have to eat something extra at night to stay above minimum calories!

Finding out that I actually LIKE exercise was a big breakthrough for me. It seems to have really put the kibosh on my emotional eating as well as decreasing my overall appetite. But I still need to be vigilant!

And I have options in mind in case my food plan falls through... like what is the least worst thing to eat when nothing else is available. So I don't convince myself that I NEED a candy bar from the vending machine, lol...

The reason I say "There is no failure except no longer trying" is that I am a slow learner in weight loss... LOL :-)
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My danger time is after dinner watching television, so I crochet. I have the biggest collection of scarves in the southern hemisphere! I need to occupy my hands so they don't put things in my mouth because I'm bored.

GG
  • fivedaily
    Options
    I also crochet. I get away from the food and take a walk. I also chew gum or suck on a mint.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    awesome thread!!!! I like to paint...I only do this about once a yr though...when I get snowed in ; (
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    clean.
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    I find that if i find myself craving something i will come to the site and enter it into the food counter. Once i see what it does to my daily total i find i don't want it that bad! Delete and find something else to do.
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    at home i walk to the fridge and notice that i have nothing to snack on and move on!
    at work- i sit at a desk and nibble all day long when i'm pms'ing so this week i've had cut baby corn and olives and pickle spears handy or sunflower seeds so i'm not tempted to buy a bag of chips... so breakfast lasts about 2-4 hours, then i'm good because its lunchtime :) when i'm not pms'ing, i eat something filling for breakfast and i drink more water and i'm good

plus, working out in the morning leaves me less hungry! the harder the workout, the less appetite i have!