Options
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    ask the hulk :wink:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I love this! I've always hated these "strong is the new skinny" fitspo images because the women still look unrealistic. Glad this article could put that into words!
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Strong :)
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    100% STRONG! :wink:
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Trying to gain muscle without gaining fat, and getting thinner at the same time.

My pointless life pursuit in a nutshell, lol
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    cliffs:
    Trying to gain muscle without gaining fat, and getting thinner at the same time.

body image isn't as important as what you can do with it. Sort of. She can write it better than me :laugh:
  • taunto
    Options
    cliffs:

body image isn't as important as what you can do with it. Sort of. She can write it better than me :laugh:

Wha.....

Those are like the worst cliff notes ever. Damnet now I'm gonna og and read the damn article at work!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I love this! I've always hated these "strong is the new skinny" fitspo images because the women still look unrealistic. Glad this article could put that into words!
    Hm interesting viewpoint.
    I have never thought about it this way.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    the bit about seeing how these women look for photoshoots equally applies for guys too. Nobody except the genetically elite or those on super "supplements" walk around at 5-6% BF (guys) or low teens for girls. It's called peaking :smile:
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Interesting, a good read. Bump.
  • zmeplay
    zmeplay Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hah You are just like me. Don't do you homework and get upset when the boy/girl next to you doesn't do it to standards :)

Those are like the worst cliff notes ever. Damnet now I'm gonna og and read the damn article at work!
    [/quote]
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    That was a good article. I just wish that women and men too would focus on healthy. If you want to be thin or muscular or still a little heavy just focus on being healthy. It is true that you can't really pack on muscle and stay "skinny" without doing a lot of drastic things to really drop body fat and I feel sorry for the women who are obsessing and trying to do things that aren't possible.

Although, she has failed to mention that quite a few groups do show women doing pull ups, women holding heavy weights, and actually showing that they are strong and aren't just muscular with low body fat.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    My summary: Women don't need another impossible ideal to live up to. Strong is good but the images used in the media are not necessarily promoting strong, but really are just promoting having visible muscle. To the author strength means actually DOING something that requires strength, not simply standing near a barbell, flexing muscles and showing as much skin as possible. Women don't need a "new skinny."
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    How about "I don't give a f*#@ is the new skinny"?
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I like being strong. There's no way in hell I'll ever be skinny. But kicking *kitten* at the gym is fun.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    My summary: Women don't need another impossible ideal to live up to. Strong is good but the images used in the media are not necessarily promoting strong, but really are just promoting having visible muscle. To the author strength means actually DOING something that requires strength, not simply standing near a barbell, flexing muscles and showing as much skin as possible. Women don't need a "new skinny."

good cliffs :smile:
  • taunto
    Options

good cliffs :smile:

Learn from this one Chris :P

As a male, I don't really care what you women do. Just do whatever you want while minding your own business.

Wanna run. Run.
    Wanna lift. Lift
    Wanna be bulky. Be bulky.

I will try and give you info and support whenever I can but outside of that... do whatever the hell you want.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to be strong. I'm trying to get strong but I hate when the "strong is the new skinny" mentality turns to skinny bashing. Some people are just naturally skinny or prefer to stay the way they are. Skinny has a very bad rep for many reasons, many of which I agree with, but skinny shaming is just as bad as anything else. As long as you're generally healthy, that's all that matters.