Whey Protein - Especially for Ladies???

Options
Shalini_15
Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
Hi, I am sure this question must have been asked several times but I could not find an answer :(. My trainer asked me to add protein powder in my diet. I eat 4 egg whites (almost everyday) and chicken. Also I take protein powder from Herbalife (2 scoops everyday). But somehow my protein intake doesnt seem to reach my goal. I have seen couple of guy friends take whey protein. They were initially very thin, then built muscles.. But once they stopped working out, they put on a lot of weight (they were still taking why protein). I am a little skeptical about including any protein powder or drink in my diet. Please advice!!!

Replies

• prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi! Body craves protein after a workout to fix the ruptured muscles.I drink whey protein and its isolate type so doesn't have carbs...It definitely increases endurance and strength..If you stop exercising in any case you gain weight with changes in eating, body starts storing water(if you eat too much sodium)also the deficit is not that much...This is nothing related to whey protein...Was he consuming even after leaving exercising? If you get decent amount of protein from food you don't need to add extra.Do you lift? If so you can add some protein on your strength training days.Any protein shake is a quick fix and works great for hungry muscles after heavy lifting..
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just that, protein, no different than other sources of protein. It is simply uses as a quick, easy, cheap way of getting extra protein if you are having problems getting enough. It doesn't make you build muscle alone. Protein is required to build muscle but so are extra calories and progressive overload type strength training.
    Protein also will not make you fat. Too many calories add fat, whether they are protein carbs or fat calories.
  • lorrm
    lorrm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There is no difference between whey protein for Men & Women, it's just the marketing departments that decided to make some of the containers pink to target women.

Whey will not make you fat - it's a great way of getting protein to your muscles quickly after an intense work out.

I log it in my food diary & ensure that i'm within my macros & calories. On non-training days, if I can get my calories & protein in from food then I don't take the protein.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I have several female friends on my friends list who use protein powder. Some losing, some maintaining, some "bulking". If it helps you meet your protein goal while still meeting your calorie goal, then that's a good thing. And it's not like you have to use it every day or forever. Just use it when it fits into your goals. I want to start using whey instead of eating my yummy junky clif or simple truth protein bars but I just never want to shell out $25-50 for a tub of it. lol. :wink:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just that, protein, no different than other sources of protein. It is simply uses as a quick, easy, cheap way of getting extra protein if you are having problems getting enough. It doesn't make you build muscle alone. Protein is required to build muscle but so are extra calories and progressive overload type strength training.
    Protein also will not make you fat. Too many calories add fat, whether they are protein carbs or fat calories.

^This.

Plus Herbalife is not a good source of protein. It's a meal replacement product. Look for something with a much higher protein content. I like Trutein.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How are you concerned about adding protein powder when you already take protein powder?

I personally added a protein powder to my diet because I was falling short of my protein goals (at least 130g a day) with just food, and I didn't want to add more meat to my diet. I have continued to lose weight after adding my protein powder because I'm eating at a deficit.

It sounds like your trainer wants you to add more protein to your diet. You can easily do that by adding more lean meats or dairy to your diet. If you are unwilling to do that, then maybe a protein powder would be the way to go.

I've never used Herbalife, but after googling, it looks like crap. My spoonful of peanut butter has more protein than that, and most people argue that peanut butter isn't a good source of protein. 5g?!?!?! REALLY? Ditch that and add in a real protein drink or lean proteins from food. But stop wasting your money on that crap that isn't going to do anything for you.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Seems like Herbalife is not a good source of protein from what others say. I buy my protein powder at Kroger and it is flavorless. Has 24 grams of protein in it, 110 calories and nothing else! No sugar, no carbs, no fat, etc. Much better than 5 grams in that stuff you are using. Also only 10 bucks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I used to drink whey protein everyday. It was a good way to easily keep my protein up, since I don't like to eat a lot of meat. But it made me constipated so I stopped.

Anyone that works out and then stops is going to gain weight if they are still eating like they did when they worked out. That will be true no matter what you consume.