Starting to lift...

Options
Hi there,

I'm really inspired to start lifting heavier, having seen amazing results pictures from people here. I've been doing BodyPump for about a year, and using the heaviest weights I can (considering how many reps you have to do, the weights I'm using are quite light) and not managing to increase my weights that much. I also do some freeweights using dumbells in the gym, but am not sure I'm doing the most productive workout.

As I can't lift that heavy yet, is it possible to start out using dumbells? I don't think my gym has an Olympic rack and the bench area is always full of sweaty guys, so it's quite intimidating to me, but I've got used to using an area in the gym where there are mats and dumbells. Is this an ok way to start out building up my strength? I've starting reading NROL4W but have found it so complicated that it's putting me off - is there an easier way to start? At the moment I'm lifting between 3kg and 7kg (~ 6-15lb), depending on the exercise.

Thanks for any tips!

Replies

• Datahorde
    Datahorde Posts: 154
    Options
    Dumbbells are totally fine for starting out., and even progressing later on years from now. Just remember to have proper form in all your lifting. Check out bodybuilding.com for articles and more. Good Luck!
  • jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I read NROLFW too and then read about Stronglifts 5x5. I decided to go for Stronglifts because the workouts seem more simple and straight forward - just three compound lifts in each workout. I have still taken on board some bits and pieces from NROLFW - the biggest point I've taken is to not try to lift with too big a calorie deficit and to get enough protein in my diet. I guess you don't necessarily need a book to tell you that, though.

I was intimidated too the first time I went in to the free weights room full of men, but now it really doesn't bother me that I'm the only woman in there. You'll soon get used to it and probably enjoy it once you're confident in your form. I'd say that whilst dumbbells may be fine to begin with, don't be scared of getting in the free weights area as soon as you feel you can!
  • angeldelightful
    Options
    thanks for your replies, everyone! Also, is it possible to work the lower body properly using dumbells?
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thanks for your replies, everyone! Also, is it possible to work the lower body properly using dumbells?

Yes you can do squats, lunges, side lunges will all work the legs as well.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Grip strength will be the determining factor as your legs will get stronger quickly and outpace the amounts you can hold in your hands if you're thinking of doing regular squats.

You can get over this to a certain respect by using single leg work: bulgarian squats, lunges, etc......

.....ultimate leg exercises like pistol squats are pretty hard without any weight at all and can be simply intensified by holding a dumbbell or kettlebell during the move.

If you google "single leg dumbbell exercises", you'll see some pretty hard stuff that can be done with relatively light weights.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm doing NROLFW and I was a complete newbie to weights too. It takes a bit of reading but is actually pretty simple once you get started. You just need to get started! Join the group on MFP too - its very helpful
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells will limit you rather quickly. You may as well get used to using a barbell sooner rather than later. (Unless you can't do a squat with 45 lbs, in which case, I'd start with leg presses)

Being a guy, I've never looked at NROLFW, but I've heard from many people that it's complicated. I started with Stronglifts 5x5, and while I was making progress, I was frustrated by starting so light. Then I discovered Starting Strength, which has almost all the same exercises as StrongLifts, but WAY more information on correct technique. That's what I'm using now. SL and SS are both very simple programs -- I'd look into them.