need cruise help!!!

Options
Hey! On Saturday my family and I are leaving to go on an alaskan cruise. It will be a 7 day cruise and we will be on a royal princess boat. I hear that cruises are floating buffets (as one person put it). I was wondering how many have been on one before and what you think I should do to make the best choices...this is my dream trip and I will thoroughly enjoy it but I don't want to go overboard (no pun intended)lol...any tips are very appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    this is my dream trip
    Enjoy the trip, don't worry about what you're eating more than you normally would. It's only 7 days & its not something you get to do all the time, so if you do go overboard (no pun intended lol) don't worry about it, get back on track when you get home! :flowerforyou:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have done cruises before, I gained 8 lbs in 6 days..
  • kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We are going on a cruise in november. I have been on one before and have decided to just enjoy my vacation rather than stay up tight about the food. It is just a week and you can get back on track when you return. Now i would not say you should frequent the dessert bar at every meal, but there are usually fresh fruits and good healthy choices on board. Enjoy the trip and your family for a week!!!
  • masonpips
    masonpips Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done cruises and gained 6 lbs. I came home, got back on track, drank a TON of water and 5 of the 6 were gone in the first week. A lot is water retention from all the salt.

Walk the stairs EVERYWHERE - it saves time waiting for the elevators and burns a ton of calories. Go to the gym - it makes you feel good and the gyms are usually so nice you'll work out longer than you think.

Do active excursions, walk, walk, walk!
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been on a couple and have one coming up in December- no problems with weight gain. Just my opinion, but once you've been through the buffet line two days in a row, the remainder of the days are not that exciting. The food is good, but it isn't so tempting that you can't just make good choices. Watch your portions, make wise choices at most meals, enjoy a small treat once a day, and limit yourself to ONE trip through the line :) By the way...don't forget to hit the gym on board at least a few times.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a 7 day cruise and gained 3.5 pounds, WHICH I WAS OKAY WITH. I had one alcoholic drink a night, (one night I had two) I had appetizers, dessert, etc. EVERY night and I worked out in the gym only 2 of the days. I also splurged and ate burgers at 10 pm with french fries one or two nights. My advice is this, if you are going on excursions, bring some botled water. It will save you $$. I emptied the room fridge and put my water bottles in there. Bring some healthy snacks. I would have killed for my almonds. While there was plenty of food around, it seems like when I had the munchies (around 10 pm) the only thing open was the pizza bar. One last tip, you can order more of something. There were a few nights I ordered two appetizers with my meal. I love shrimp cocktail, but I also wanted the cesar salad (minus dressing). So, I had both (PLUS my dinner, and dessert, made good choices but not always the BEST choice.) It is a once in a lifetime vacation, so try new things. Drink lots of water. If it makes you feel any better, I lost 3 of the 3.5 pounds the first week I was back, just doing my normal stuff. So enjoy and trust yourself. Have fun!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised how much damage you can do with alcohol! When they come around with those fancy (and pricey) drinks by the pool, just say no.

Other than that, I have found that if I stuck to a healthy breakfast, I could indulge a little at lunch and have what I liked at dinner. Last cruise I gained 2 pounds, and they were gone a few days after arriving back home.

As someone else has posted, do take part in excursions involving walking. We climbed Mayan Pyramids, and swam at a private. beach. Most of all, just relax, one week is not going to ruin all your hard work. Enjoy yourself and think about how blessed you are to be able to do something many people can only dream of.

HAVE FUN!!!
  • eve180
    eve180 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Your trips sounds exciting I would love to know how you enjoyed it when you return.

My cruise in July was 5 days (Ocho Rios, Jamacia and Grand Cayman Island). I ate what I wanted to eat while on the cruise. I always took the stairs after breakfast, lunch and dinner to where ever I was going on the ship. Our cabin was on the first floor and the lido(??) was on the 10th deck where we ate and people laid out on the deck. I would some time take the stairs up instead of the elevator. I walked th ship each floor to become familiar with it you will be on it for 7 days. You may as well walk it and do some window shopping.

The catch is to walk and they serve fruit as well as everything else...lol. Don't just choose the first thing you see normally you have alot of options. And believe you won't stray that far away from your normal routine. The guilt will find its way to you...lol.

You will be fine...I had my Converse sneakers with for walking on my trip. I didn't do any alchol because I am not a drinker. I had quite a bit of ice cream. I tried the healthy choices and some unhealthy choices on the cruise. I gained 3 to 5lbs but I think that is because I didn't drink any water for 5 days not what I was eating. I refuse to pay $4.00 for a liter of water.

I hope this was helpful. Enjoy your trip!!!

Eve:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise in March for 7 days and only came back 2 lbs heavier and it was all water weight. It was gone within 3-4 days. I kept my breakfast healthy, ate a light lunch, and had a great dinner. I didn't try to limit myself, but I went for healthier options when possible, like fish and chicken and avoided fried and greasy. Like I never ate at the lunchtime buffet by the pool, which was fries and hot dogs and junk. I was on Norwegian Cruiselines and the dinners were 3 course meals and were usually on the healthier side. It was the buffets that I avoided since it was junk food. So if you can have a sit down meal at one of the onboard restaurants (NCL had a few restaurants that were included so no extra charge), that's a better bet.

Also, limit the drinking. I was on Spring Break with 13 other college students, and I still stuck to maybe a fruity drink on the pool deck around 5 and then a drink or two at night. I think there was 2 nights were I had more than 2. And when I did drink, it was always rum and diet coke. Except for that bar crawl... fun but I was sloshed! haha...

Anyway, enjoy yourself! Try to do activities that keep you moving. And just keep an eye out for healthier options when possible. Have fun!
  • guitargirl53
    Options
    Thank you all sooo much! I will keep all of your tips in mind!:smile:
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cruises basically are floating buffets! The best advice I can give you is to eat in the "formal dining room" for as many meals as possible. They sere you and it will help control your portion sizes. I was on a carnival cruise last year for my honeymoon and was shocked at how much food they have. The good news is that soda, alcohol and a few select beverages arent free so my husband and I drank mostly water or iced tea. Most importantly remember to HAVE FUN!!!
  • Serowland
    Serowland Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been on a cruise and actually lost weight! I do not do buffets (former elementary teacher and once you have watched kids in line you refuse to eat any buffet!) so we ate all our meals in the restaurants (also included!). We discovered the food in the restaurants was fresher than the buffet lines - sometimes you see the food the next day on the buffet. Also use the gym and jogging area. Most of all have fun, get off the ship to enjoy the sites (that's more walking)!!

Sandra
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I know that cruises have gyms in them and if it is a buffet you have control over what you eat. Try to chose the healthiest options. Vacations are not about food its about spending time with others and enjoying Alaska.
  • triumph10
    Options
    When I go on a cruise I work out twice a day. In the morning I do a 3 or 4 mile walk around the ship. It's easy and the view is spectacular. After hanging by the pool all day i'll go to the gym in the early evening and hit the treadmill for 30 or 40 minutes. I have never gained weight on a cruise. If you want to stay away from the buffets, order room service for breakfast. You can make healthier choices and if you have a balcony, nothing beats it. Good Luck!
  • fmax46
    fmax46 Posts: 20
    Options
    I haven't sailed princess but have done Royal, Holland America, and Carnival.

You'll probably find that they have a healthy alternative on the menu each night so there's always going to be good choices so you can go easy on appetizer, main if you want to splurge on dessert, say.

Another idea is to order room service for breakfast, if you want to avoid going near the buffet for breakfast. This is also good as a wake up call and for those mornings you've got an early start, you can eat while dressing.

The buffet restaurant is normally set up into stations so once you have an idea where everything is, then if you just feel like salad one day, then you know the station to go to and can avoid the others.

and although there is a lot of opportunity to eat, the ships are so large that you'll definitely get your exercise just walking from one part of the ship to another. And even though I didn't make use of them, there are fitness centres, and generally at least one deck which allows for walking laps. Also you can take the stairs instead of the elevators at time - definitely quicker in many cases. There's probably going to be dance lessons and other daily activities that you can participate in to keep on the go.

I have a sedentary job and not incredibly active but tend to balance out the food with the increased activity while onboard.

Good luck, but I'm sure you won't need it.
  • Danielle_81
    Options
    I have been on 5 cruises. EVERY single one I come home weighing less. And after a week I have lost about 5lbs of water weight too. SO I think you should just go have fun and forget about your "diet". I personally wouldn't even bother with it while I was cruising....:noway:
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    * Wait til you FEAST your EYES on what you are about to see on this Alaskan cruise!! I've done the Alaskan cruise on Princess, not once but TWICE - it is awesome!
    * The food is "managable" - they set up a new buffet about every 3-4 hours and there are MANY MANY healthy food choices. We opted for the "no formal dining room" freedom and thought that worked well. The gyms are fantastic, you can walk the decks & their steps FOREVER ! And the spas are top notch.
    * It's the dessert buffets and volume ETOH that could push one over - but it is a CHOICE!
    * Have FUN - it is magically stunning ! And there are just SOOO many other great things to do besides focusing on food!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Have a great time in Alaska! Crusing there is fantastic. I went on Holland America, and between that one I did 2 years ago, and the one that I actually won, and went on last year (thank you BINGO), I saw more food in those weeks than I think I've ever seen. When it came time to eat, I would take a lap around the buffet area, take everything in, and then decide what to choose. Don't always go to the first line you see. As other people have mentioned, there are always many healthy choices as well. It also helped that my friend was watching what she ate, which kinda kept me from grabbing more thatn I really should. I'd also be mindful of snacking throughout the day/night since you can pretty much eat 24/7. However, with all that being said, enjoy yourself, take some laps around the deck and have a great time!
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Cruising is so fun!!!

First, I would recommend that you check out the website for "cruise critic"...very helpful forums/reviews.

About the food, the best thing you can do is eat in the main dining room and not the buffets. The serving sizes will be small (but appropriate). If you don't like what you get, you can always ask for something else or get room service later. Also, if the appetizer looks healthier, you can order it as an entree! Drink lots of water and make use of the beautiful view to walk or run utilizing the track and/or fitness equipment on the ship. Sometimes, classes will be offered too!

I have to agree with whoever suggested "active" excursions--the best thing you can do especially in a place as beautiful as Alaska!

(we are heading to Hawaii for a cruise in September!!!!)
  • faye1959
    Options
    My husband and I have been on (5 day) 5 crusies. We love them and yes you can pick and choose healthy food. Yes it is a 24 hr buffet. Plan to eat small during the day and save your big meal for dinner. Fabulous dinners. Then go dancing to work it off. I hope you have a good time.