oatmeal and hunger question

2»

Replies

• tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    I find all the ****ing around with macros to control hunger to be a waste of time. Hit your macros for the day (according to a sensible plan), and add foods that are not calorie-dense for hunger. Read: vegetables

The problem is most people, myself included, hate cold vegetables for breakfast. If you have the time, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms and capsicum are great.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    YOu are not alone.

I eat a big bowl of oatmeal and yes I do feel full right afterwards, but after an hour I'm starving.

High protein breakfast like bacon and eggs, or protein shakes do so much better for me. Actually last me through lunch.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    I have the same problem, so I stopped eating it. High protein breakfasts seem to work best for me.

if you're not going instant, oats are reasonably high in protein. my 1/4 cup of steel cut oats, for example, has 7 grams of protein. My egg has 6. even instant have like 4 grams, though again, i'd avoid those.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    I have the same problem, so I stopped eating it. High protein breakfasts seem to work best for me.

if you're not going instant, oats are reasonably high in protein. my 1/4 cup of steel cut oats, for example, has 7 grams of protein. My egg has 6. even instant have like 4 grams, though again, i'd avoid those.

Yea but I try for a least 30g of protein for breakfast and that would be a lot of oatmeal :-) The calories would be too high, but eating that much oatmeal would probably keep me full for sure, hehehe
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    I find all the ****ing around with macros to control hunger to be a waste of time. Hit your macros for the day (according to a sensible plan), and add foods that are not calorie-dense for hunger. Read: vegetables

I disagree. It's the only thing that keeps me on track and I notice even the slightest change with regards to when I eat my protein vs carbs. Maybe it's just me, but when I eat what makes a lot of difference in my level of hunger (blood sugar spikes). It also has an impact on my energy levels towards the end of the day which is why more carbs before my work out works best for me. Vegetables are good filler but they do not keep me full for long like protein does and protein keeps me full but doesn't also help with energy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I add Peanut butter and fresh fruit. I also eat a banana or apple and it kkeps me full for about 3 hours till my workout.

This!^ ..... add something to your oatmeal. Bump up the fiber with flax or chia seeds. Make your oatmeal with milk instead of water .... this will bump up the protein. Add some fat ..... chopped walnuts are great.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    cuz it is just carbs add a tbs of peanut butter and some fruit for fiber. never eat a carb alonre carb, protein and a small fat will keep you full! Think about it eat a couple peices of toast one mornibg an haour later you will be hungry. Another day have 2 eggs, some turkey bacon, whole wheat toast and some fruit. you will be satiated for 5-6 hours
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Yea but I try for a least 30g of protein for breakfast and that would be a lot of oatmeal :-) The calories would be too high, but eating that much oatmeal would probably keep me full for sure, hehehe

well, that would be a lot of oatmeal but nobody's saying it has to be eaten exclusively. in fact, i'd say the reason it would be hard to do 30g of protein with oatmeal is -because- it's so filling and you still have to get 23 grams in, not because it isn't filling.

it's hard to get to 30g of protein of anything without feeling full. i mean, many brands of protein bars are only 20g, so you'd still need a egg and some other stuff on top of one of those.

i'd wager substituting in 7 grams of steel cut oats (1/4 cup) protein in for some of the other protein in your 30g days would leave you feeling more full, not less.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    I disagree. It's the only thing that keeps me on track and I notice even the slightest change with regards to when I eat my protein vs carbs. Maybe it's just me, but when I eat what makes a lot of difference in my level of hunger (blood sugar spikes). It also has an impact on my energy levels towards the end of the day which is why more carbs before my work out works best for me. Vegetables are good filler but they do not keep me full for long like protein does and protein keeps me full but doesn't also help with energy.

There is a fair amount of evidence to support the idea that meals of different macronutrient composition will affect satiety in different ways, but for me I've never felt this particularly strongly so I can only offer my advice: vegetables ;)
  • twodavez
    twodavez Posts: 3 Member
    Relatively quick and easy breakfast:
    Breakfast
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Aldi Friendly Farms - Milk 2% , 1.5 cup 180 18 8 12 1 95 18
    Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slice (38 g) 100 18 2 4 170 3
    Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 2 large 185 1 14 13 188 1
    465 37 24 29 553 22
    totals: Cal 465, Carbs 37, Fat 24, Protein 29, Sodium 553, Sugar 22
    *Edit - sorry this looks so bad, it was all spaced out in my reply, but it scrunched it together...

I use a little Mrs. Dash, and a quick spray of cooking spray in the pan. I like the eggs dippy as the yolk is creamy and gives good texture.

Is there an easier way to copy and past a meal from my diary? I like the numbers, so posting those with what you're all eating would help me realize what i could eat and how much for the calories...
    Just a suggestion.

On a side note, i do get hungry around 11, and do lunch at 11:15, but i'm eating breakfast around 7:15... Seems to be working so far. Like the Tortoise, slow and steady wins the race.