I NEED hot (temperature) food, I am not satisfied w/o it

Options
mkzara
mkzara Posts: 73 Member
I am back on MFP since not tracking does not seem to work for me. However, I am hitting this block that I always hit. I NEED hot food. In the mornings I crave omelette or eggs. It takes so much effort to go with cereal.

At lunch I have the urge to go for Thai food or something similar. I like salads and am easily full on a salad, but I am never satisfied. I still feel as if I haven't had a real meal if it's not hot.

Does anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Why you can't have eggs? It may be a smaller portion, but you can still have them. As for lunch, maybe bring some form of protein you can heat up? Or even go for the thai food. You don't have to cut anything out.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    I do, too.

I have found that I can eat a ton of cooked veggies to satisfy my need to eat hot, cooked meals. Roasted veggies are my favorite (olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic), but also grilled veggies and stirfry (omit rice and pasta).
  • earl_grey
    earl_grey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! But I've never found that to be a limitation for me. It's just a matter of finding hot, low-calorie foods.

For breakfast, I usually make soft-boiled eggs (so much better than hardboiled). Or try scrambled eggs with some salsa instead of an omelette. 2 eggs are only 140 calories, should be perfectly fine to fit in. Other mornings I'll have a toasted english muffin with some cream cheese and lox. I never eat cereal or yogurt or anything else cold, I just can't handle it.

When I make dinner, I double up the number of servings so that I can bring leftovers for lunch. I have a microwave at work so it's easy to get a hot lunch that way. Soup, grilled chicken with broccoli, curry, stir-fry - all easy to reheat. If I don't bring my lunch I usually go out and get a wrap, or if I do get salad I get a small side of soup or something that makes it feel more substantial.

Hope that helps give you some ideas! This really does not need to be a block!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Why not have an egg then, or hot cereal instead of cold?
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    lets stop worrying about social conventions for food ??

that would be my first unblocker

who says you cant eat an evening meal for breakfast? why cant you have chicken, fish, spiced meat etc etc, all over continental europe they do and getting protein in the morning does wonders for your metabolism.

then its all about the preperation, there is loads you can do to make sure you have hot food,

prepare large quantities of low fat, chili , stews, currys, caseroles, then freeze them in small pots for breakfast lunch or dinner,

then theres the meat, most people worry about cooking meat and then freezing it as re-heating it is a generally a bad idea if you want to avoid bacteria in food. whilst this is generally true it is only apparent if you keep heating and cooling food.

i allow my food to cycles at most, so either cook-freeze-cook or freeze-cook-chill

it doesnt really matter, which way round as long as you get things hot,

my top tip is buy chicken breasts, cover them in spices, then wrap them in tinfoil, oven bake them once cooked leave to cool, put in a sandwhich bag ot tub and then freeze, have them on hand for 2 minutes in the microwave and you have hot flavoursome chicken :)
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options
    A quick easy lunch I like is some ham or turkey and swiss on a healthy grain bread and microwaved. Much better than a cold cut sandwich. I also like lean protein on a low carb tortilla made into a taco or a fajita.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    dont understand problem
  • geewizzamanda357
    geewizzamanda357 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I feel like it's not really a whole meal if I don't have something hot! I have been trying to get accustomed to eating cold foods (like wraps or salads), but it has been slow progress. I do think that having hot chicken on a salad helps. Or having steamed veggies with a wrap or sandwich. I have found out that having at least one heated item fills the craving for "hot" foods and makes me feel more satisfied.
  • mkzara
    mkzara Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who answered and provided great responses. I realize I wasn't clear about the question. My hot food craving isn't an issue if I intend to have hot food for lunch, but if to balance out my calories I want cold food (salds, or wraps) then it becomes a problem when I can't afford a higher calorie lunch with hot food.

I think I just need to start building into my daily goal the need to have hot food. I also will start implementing the hot vegetables or breakfast ideas.