Anorexia Recover Questions

Replies

• Slash94
    Slash94 Posts: 36
    Not to be rude but I disagree with everyone who has already posted.
    In recovery, in particular at the beginning, you need to eat a lot of calories. Your digestive system isn't going to be able to cope if you're eating loads of vegetables and high fibre foods. Processed, high fat, high sugar foods are easily digested and won't make you feel overly full. I think it's great that you're willing to give 100% to recovery and not have 'fear foods'.
    Do not get hung up on macros or sugar or anything like that - just as your doctor says they don't matter in recovery . Just listen to what you're craving and eat it. If you want more then eat more.

Yep. Your focus should be on hitting your calorie goal. I know it can be difficult because calories have been the enemy. But, hit that and worry about macros and micros later. After you put on some weight then I am certain your doctor will start a dialogue about adding things to hit different macros and micros. But, right now that isn't even appropriate.

Thanx! Now i wont worry about macros, trust me I eat tons of bread in a day especially the ones you find at the mexican bakery with sugar and all that lol then that got me worrying that i was eating too many carbs but now after reading everyones helpful responses i feel way better and will keep on eating bread now. Thanx again!
  • Zhu_An
    Zhu_An Posts: 3
    Fat: yes, too much is bad. It will help with caloric intake and getting your weight up, but it comes with other health risks. Thin people can still have high cholesterol etc and all the things it leads to. Think about healthy (unsaturated) fats. Olive oil and avocado come to my mind, but do a google search. Also think about what other nutrients you're getting. Dairy can be high in fat, but it gives you calcium and vitamin D, so it might be worth it. Beef will give you iron. Potato chips give you nothing. The best thing would be to talk to a doctor or nutritionist and find out how much you should be eating.

Sugar: a lot of calories and no nutrients. Once again, find foods that give you something. Maybe sugar on some fruit. Breakfast cereals can have a lot of sugar, but also folic acid and B vitamins. Once again, talk to someone who knows your situation and find out what you need. Your needs for calories, weight gain, and nutrients are different from mine and the next person's.
  • Slash94
    Fat: yes, too much is bad. It will help with caloric intake and getting your weight up, but it comes with other health risks. Thin people can still have high cholesterol etc and all the things it leads to. Think about healthy (unsaturated) fats. Olive oil and avocado come to my mind, but do a google search. Also think about what other nutrients you're getting. Dairy can be high in fat, but it gives you calcium and vitamin D, so it might be worth it. Beef will give you iron. Potato chips give you nothing. The best thing would be to talk to a doctor or nutritionist and find out how much you should be eating.

Sugar: a lot of calories and no nutrients. Once again, find foods that give you something. Maybe sugar on some fruit. Breakfast cereals can have a lot of sugar, but also folic acid and B vitamins. Once again, talk to someone who knows your situation and find out what you need. Your needs for calories, weight gain, and nutrients are different from mine and the next person's.
    Thanx, but like i said, fruit is a low calorie and filling so i wont be getting enough unless i eat it with peanut butter which is high in fat so i guess im gonna have to be eating lots of fat. Thanx again!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    My number one tip for recovering from anorexia is: GET OFF MFP! Or at least stay out of forums. Almost everyone here has disordered eating, and people who don't are mostly trying to lose or maintain their weight, so their dietary perspective is not appropriate for you. If you want to know how to eat like a normal person, look at what normal people do. Pick up cooking magazines, and see what the meals and portions look like. Don't worry about too much sodium right now. And for sure don't worry about too much fat, especially if it's coming from things like nuts, olive oil, and avocados. It's quite healthy to get 30% of your calories for fat, and anorexics (and recovered or recovering anorexics) tend not to eat nearly enough of it. Send me a msg. and I'll give you my phone number if you want ongoing support in your recovery. Good luck.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    But like i asked, is too much sodium, fat, or sugar bad when recovering from anorexia? I heard lots of people even a couple of doctors say that it doesnt matter as long as im getting enough calories to gain weight.

No it is not bad. Fat, sugar, sodium are all nutrients that your body NEEDS. Since you are recovering from anorexia, your body needs these in any form. Your body has been denied these nutrients, so putting them back in right now is GOOD! I suffered with anorexia a few years ago. Focus on learning to be okay with eating again.... so eat eat eat whatever you want. Then once that part gets healthy again, you can worry about the specifics. You are doing great!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    But like i asked, is too much sodium, fat, or sugar bad when recovering from anorexia? I heard lots of people even a couple of doctors say that it doesnt matter as long as im getting enough calories to gain weight.
    As long as you drink enough water and you don't have BP issues don't worry about salt. Sugar as long as you are not diabetic and don't do it every day isn't a problem either. For nou you need to be enjoying the food you eat. I would look into more protein and healthy fat foods for most days but like I said for now it is your relationship with food you need to work on.

Congratulations on your new life. Enjoy it. There is so much more to enjoy when you begin to live!
  • Slash94
    As long as you drink enough water and you don't have BP issues don't worry about salt. Sugar as long as you are not diabetic and don't do it every day isn't a problem either. For nou you need to be enjoying the food you eat. I would look into more protein and healthy fat foods for most days but like I said for now it is your relationship with food you need to work on.

Congratulations on your new life. Enjoy it. There is so much more to enjoy when you begin to live!
    Thnx! Trust me, i already eat lots of protein Which is a great thing
  • Slash94

No it is not bad. Fat, sugar, sodium are all nutrients that your body NEEDS. Since you are recovering from anorexia, your body needs these in any form. Your body has been denied these nutrients, so putting them back in right now is GOOD! I suffered with anorexia a few years ago. Focus on learning to be okay with eating again.... so eat eat eat whatever you want. Then once that part gets healthy again, you can worry about the specifics. You are doing great!
    Thanx for the help! Made me feel better!
  • Slash94
    My number one tip for recovering from anorexia is: GET OFF MFP! Or at least stay out of forums. Almost everyone here has disordered eating, and people who don't are mostly trying to lose or maintain their weight, so their dietary perspective is not appropriate for you. If you want to know how to eat like a normal person, look at what normal people do. Pick up cooking magazines, and see what the meals and portions look like. Don't worry about too much sodium right now. And for sure don't worry about too much fat, especially if it's coming from things like nuts, olive oil, and avocados. It's quite healthy to get 30% of your calories for fat, and anorexics (and recovered or recovering anorexics) tend not to eat nearly enough of it. Send me a msg. and I'll give you my phone number if you want ongoing support in your recovery. Good luck.
    Thanks, ill make sure to get lots of fat to boost up my calories without getting full, my phone doesnt work though so is it alright if we just talk on here?
  • Slash94
    Has anyone had gas and diarrhea during recovery? I been having gas and diarrhea for the past 3 days, not too much diarrhea though just once those 3 days since i started recovering. Have any idea why? Thanx again for the help!
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    I think you should contact your medical support, as worrying about different macros and suchlike could be a trigger for you. Perhaps they can reassure you, monitor you a bit more and give you suitable dietary advice.

I have to agree with this. You should be under the care of a doctor and perhaps a dietician while in this phase of your recovery. Certainly, I'd like to see you get well but I'm not qualified to advise you and you seem to be exhibiting compulsive thoughts about food. I'd hate to see you slip into old ways for thinking.
  • Slash94
    I think you should contact your medical support, as worrying about different macros and suchlike could be a trigger for you. Perhaps they can reassure you, monitor you a bit more and give you suitable dietary advice.

I have to agree with this. You should be under the care of a doctor and perhaps a dietician while in this phase of your recovery. Certainly, I'd like to see you get well but I'm not qualified to advise you and you seem to be exhibiting compulsive thoughts about food. I'd hate to see you slip into old ways for thinking.
    Thanx, but now that i know it doesnt matter how much of it i eat just that i get in enough calories i dont worry about it ill just go ahead and eat it especially since i know im trying to gain. Thanx for the help!
  • lizcr13
    lizcr13 Posts: 26 Member
    Try try try to see a dietician! I went through a similar recovery and had to gain weight. I saw one and she recommended foods that would help weight gain but also just how to eat more nutritiously too. They can also help you find a plan that works for you and answer the questions that you are have.
    Unless it's recommended, I wouldn't try to plan your food or think about it too much. In the beginning, don't count calories, don't over examine food labels, and in general don't over think what you are eating. Just learn to enjoy food again :)

MFP is a great tool, but you have to really be careful. I started after I had reached a healthy weight and wanted to work on fitness and muscle gain. At first counting calories was a bit triggering. But now I actually feel good when I reach my daily goals and don't sweat it if I'm over in some categories some days. Make sure you are 100% ready to start logging food if you start to use the food diary and have a changed mindset. I personally would recommend only doing this once you gain enough weight to be in a safe, healthy range and have recovered. If you feel guilty or want to eat less, stop right away.

I'd say first thing you should try to do is see a dietician or doctor. In the meantime, don't stress over this stuff. Take a break from analyzing what you are eating and hate to say it, but a break from MFP. Big props to you for trying to recover and best of luck. Take care :flowerforyou:
  • Slash94
    Try try try to see a dietician! I went through a similar recovery and had to gain weight. I saw one and she recommended foods that would help weight gain but also just how to eat more nutritiously too. They can also help you find a plan that works for you and answer the questions that you are have.
    Unless it's recommended, I wouldn't try to plan your food or think about it too much. In the beginning, don't count calories, don't over examine food labels, and in general don't over think what you are eating. Just learn to enjoy food again :)

MFP is a great tool, but you have to really be careful. I started after I had reached a healthy weight and wanted to work on fitness and muscle gain. At first counting calories was a bit triggering. But now I actually feel good when I reach my daily goals and don't sweat it if I'm over in some categories some days. Make sure you are 100% ready to start logging food if you start to use the food diary and have a changed mindset. I personally would recommend only doing this once you gain enough weight to be in a safe, healthy range and have recovered. If you feel guilty or want to eat less, stop right away.

I'd say first thing you should try to do is see a dietician or doctor. In the meantime, don't stress over this stuff. Take a break from analyzing what you are eating and hate to say it, but a break from MFP. Big props to you for trying to recover and best of luck. Take care :flowerforyou:
    Thanx for the help, im kind of different from most anorexics like i dont feel guilty at all when i eat something like a big carne asada burrito with guacamole which i love eating but dont feel guilty afterwards. Most people would say thats bad but isnt especially since it has protein and good fats. And about the nutrition label, i only look at it to see if it has lots and enough calories for me to eat. But other than that i wont count calories, ill just eat normally, wont think about my ED, and make sure to eat alot, especially fats to boost up my calories. Thanx again for the help! :)
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Thanks, ill make sure to get lots of fat to boost up my calories without getting full, my phone doesnt work though so is it alright if we just talk on here?

Yeah. Of course. Didn't mean to come off as creepy. Lol.
  • Slash94

Yeah. Of course. Didn't mean to come off as creepy. Lol.
    Not creepy at all since your trying to help. lol ill send you a msg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Burgers are good because you probably need the iron. If you were anorexic, you are more than likely anemic. Increasing iron will improve your health and give you more energy (along with gaining weight, increasing calories and solving other nutrient deficiencies). You aren't going to get good advice from dieters.
  • Slash94
    Burgers are good because you probably need the iron. If you were anorexic, you are more than likely anemic. Increasing iron will improve your health and give you more energy (along with gaining weight, increasing calories and solving other nutrient deficiencies). You aren't going to get good advice from dieters.
    Especially big carne asada burritos with guacamole which i love and crave all the time.:wink:
  • Slash94
    MFP says that i need 2,300 calories to gain, is it safe to go over that to maybe 3,000 calories or more? Thanx everyone for the help!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    MFP says that i need 2,300 calories to gain, is it safe to go over that to maybe 3,000 calories or more? Thanx everyone for the help!

Yeah!