plank form

Options
2»

Replies

• FierceFox81
    FierceFox81 Posts: 89
    Options
    you can plank on either your palms (arms straight) or your forarms as far as i know. just make sure you dont drop your hips or stick your bum in the air too much
    Which one more effective?

I am a certified personal trainer. You can do planks from either position. All depends on what type of plank you are doing. You can even do planks on your knees.

You can do side planks, twists, oblique planks, low planks...depending on what type of plank you do, your level of fitness, and what muscles you are targeting is what makes the difference.

I'd suggest talking with a trainer at your gym to figure out what ones you can try. Have fun with all of them :)
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I believe the yoga pose is on hands, but they both work your core. I actually find it easier to hold a plank on my hands, but I think most find forearms easier. Either way, just do it. There are lots of plank challenges available online. Try one! If you are worried you are using the wrong form, switch it up. Or do the up/down exercise that @innocence suggests--we do that every couple of weeks in my circuit training class and it's great. Switch hands to make sure you are exercising your entire core.

I have read in several places lately that doing planks is actually a better core exercise than crunches, and it's certainly easier on your neck (I have a tendency to try to pull my neck doing crunches).

To not pull your neck during crunches, put your fingertips right behind your ears, don't lace your fingers/hands together and keep your chin off your chest, looking at the ceiling. That should help.